Thursday Inspiration 44 — Love Potion #9

Science lab

George, the love of my life, was a utility worker, climbing power poles 40-50 hours a week. Or at least he did until he was thrown from a 40-foot height by a power surge. Landing on the lawn, George’s body smoked from the electricity that put him into a coma.

It had been six months. George’s EEGs showed a lot of brain activity. The printouts showed active R.E.M. sleep much of every day. This meant that George was dreaming – a lot. I had to find a way to reach him before his body started to deteriorate.

By either chance or serendipity I’d gone to a presentation on essential oils a few months ago and continued to be amazed at the number of remedies claimed by them. They say one’s sense of smell is so powerful that it transcends time and space as it calls forth memories. Being an out-of-the-box thinker, my mind jumped out to the question: what if it can reach into the dream world as well? I wondered if I could get the message to George’s subconscious and wake him from his coma!

Once the idea presented itself to me it became an exercise in pragmatic application. What scent would it be and how would I get it to him? As George was the love of my life, the oil blend would need to remind him of love. That old song, “Love Potion #9” came to mind. I remembered reading “love potion” recipes in the essential oil book. I would create a love potion blend and use it to draw my love back to me from the dream world.

It took a little time and effort to gather the necessary oils. Once they were blended, I had to find a way to deliver them. I used a three-pronged approach. I set up an essential oil diffuser in George’s hospital room, where his body would breathe in the potion. Then I doused myself in it before going to bed. Over the years I had learned to lucid dream. Once I fell asleep, I began to write a letter to George, telling him how much I loved him and missed him. I put drops of the potion on the letter and sealed it up. Then I sprouted wings and went looking for him to deliver it.

It was a long way over varied terrain, but finally I saw a blue, red, and yellow flame glowing from a cave entrance high in the mountains. I sensed that’s where George was and landed on the cave ledge. I had to crawl through the opening to get inside. There he was, asleep in a bearskin by the fire. I whispered in his ear, “Come back to me, my love.” and left the letter in his right hand.

I woke up and the sun was shining. I hurried and drank coffee, showered, and got to the hospital. Impatient for the elevator, as it took forever, I rushed out and down the hospital corridor to the coma unit. George’s bed was empty! I rushed to the nurse’s station, out of breath, and asked Susie, the nurse, “Where is George!?”

Lisa, you aren’t going to believe it, but George awoke from his coma last night!  We moved him to the rehab unit on the 5th floor.”

I ran to the elevator again and was kissing dear George’s face in 5 minutes.  The look on his face was of wondrous surprise.  He pointed to the pad of paper and pen.  I gave it to him and he wrote, in very shaky writing, “I found your letter in my dream.”

Paula Light is the host of Thursday Inspiration.  Paula says:
This week’s theme is potion and the picture is [above.] Here is the song snippet from “Love Potion No. 9” recorded by the Searchers in 1964:

She looked at my palm and she made a magic sign
She said “What you need is love potion number nine”

Thank you Paula, for the wonderful prompt!

Thank you! Hey, have you been at the Bernie live youtube lately? It was neat seeing you there.

1. I’ve watched every rally for the past few months. I was even part of a unionized sound and stage crew that set up the Tacoma rally on the 17th and was able to see it live.

WOW!!!!! I admire you very much. I can’t imagine what the energy must have felt like in the room.

1. It was amazing. It’s one thing to see it live online, but it’s a very energizing to be a part of it and to be surrounded by it.

Our big day in MI is 3/10. I just read where Bernie plans on opening more offices here, including in Grand Rapids, which is about 50 miles from here.

1. I used to live in and around Grand Rapids for about 17 years.

Hey that’s cool. Both of my kids live there now. Do you still have kin there?

1. My parents and a brother

My older son’s girlfriend and her family are from Lowell, and my younger son’s wife’s parents live in GR. Not a bad town, but it is a hub of Republican evil!

2. That’s why I left

were there any “trumpites” trying to cause trouble?

1. I saw one, but as soon as he tried to fly his trump flag someone tried to snatch it from him and security instantly kicked him out.

I’m not sure you’re using “fly his trump flag” in a literal or figurative sense. I’m glad he was shown to the door.

🙂 Thank you. Who knows, maybe it would work?

1. Do those essential oils help with your astral projection?

I think lucid dreaming and astral projection are two different things. If they aren’t, yes.

A wonderful story!

🙂 thanks Sadj!

You’re welcome 😉

1. Gina says:

i learn a lot form your story crafting, always a pleasure Lisa

3. badfinger20 says:

Great story Lisa. When his bed was empty…I know your twists…I had a bad feeling…glad he came out alright and he came back.

🙂 You’re right, it could have turned out poorly for him — and her!

4. Lael-Heart says:

Awe! This is a great story!

🙂 Thanks Lael

5. Irene says:

I truly enjoyed this story; love potions are powerful!

I’m having fun with the oil blends. Glad you enjoyed the story, Irene!