dVerse — quadrille #98 — Trauma’s Onion

An artist's rendering of heavenly angels standing on guard
image link

Trauma, immortally peeling onion
of layered human celluloid misery.

Re-runs’ battleground images lose
their vividness with each viewing.

Marinated liver reeks on my onion skin
tempting black eagles’ taloned mandate.

Angels with light arrows circle, faces outward,
protecting my soul – healing thicker pink.

Mish is today’s for dVerse.  Mish says:
Today I offer you the word “peel” to include in your quadrille.

1. Frank Hubeny says:

I like those angels with light arrows.

2. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

This one is “out there” for you. I dig it, even after a re-read. I adore your third stanza; it really flings my imagination five directions.

Thank you, Glenn. I tried something experimental. The first 2 stanzas are comparing healing from trauma to peeling an onion. The 2nd two are trying to tie in Prometheus having his liver eaten by eagles over and over again. Not sure if it works or not.

3. Well then … and I don’t really like liver with onions … 😉
    Nicely done!

🙂 funny, Na’ama!

4. Truedessa says:

I like the thought of angels protecting your soul.

Me too, Truedessa ❤

5. rivrvlogr says:

Trauma or not, you offer the possibility of healing.

Yes, Ken, good point. Thank you.

6. Gina says:

leaves a lasting taste in the mind!

7. kim881 says:

This one is quite surreal, Jade. My favourite lines are:
    ‘Trauma, immortally peeling onion
    of layered human celluloid misery.’

It was a case of putting it together as it wished to be. I guess trauma is a surreal experience that never ends.

8. maria says:

Woah. What a play of words.

Thanks Maria. It’s (what Kim said) surreal and a mishmash of trauma and trying to heal from it.

9. I was reminded of cosmetic chemical peels which can be done for vanity , but also to help dissolve scar tissue. Yin yang so often appears in your tao talks. I found this an incredibly brave poem – always, for me, an invocation of deep sadness and joy.

I really loath liver – we had it a lot when I was a kid fried onions were the only thing that made it bearable.

As always appreciate the intellect and knowledge behind these words.

Christine, your kind and insightful reflections are always appreciated. Thank you ❤

10. The reek of the liver really caught me, but I did not catch the reference to Prometheus… I like the comparison of healing and peeling an onion (and it rhymes too)

A blurb I pulled from google search: “Prometheus was punished by Zeus because he stole fire to give back to mankind. He was chained to a rock in the Caucasus Mountains, and every day an eagle came and ate part of his liver. Each night, his liver would regrow, which meant he had to endure his punishment for eternity.” My mentor first introduced me to the peeling the onion concept for healing trauma. Thanks for reading and commenting, Bjorn.

11. Love those angels at the end. We need protection from the reliving of trauma so that its power fades with time.

Yes, the angels protect us from those who would tear us apart while we’re in a vulnerable state as we peel the layers off and examine them over time.

12. Mish says:

I was grateful for the angels when they appeared in your poem. Protection while healing…something we don’t always think about but it really could be a deal breaker in the process.

❤ Mish, yes.

13. “layered human celluloid misery” – Wow! great poem, Lisa.

Sara, thank you very much.