dVerse — quadrille 100 — Talisman

Image result for george harrison 1970
image link

Conjuring refrained wah-wahs
Apple scruffs bridge two worlds
Sad gnome sheds his beard
A clean-slated tap-dancer
Twirls through Friar Park
Magic mantra circuits of
Kaleidoscopic waves
Neutralize shadows even
In darkness. No matter how
Your head is turned,
The love light will shine in.

I wrote my quadrille on George Harrison and, “All Things Must Pass,” his first album after The Beatles broke up. I regard so much of George’s music to be spiritual, effectively acting as a protective magic talisman against darkness, Linda’s prompt made me think of him as a subject.

Linda Lee Lyberg is today’s host for dVerse.  Linda says:
With all the craziness going on around the entire world with COVID-19, I thought we might enjoy a little diversion into a world of fantasy and…MAGIC! Yes, today’s word will be magic to use as you see fit in any form. Please feel free to make up your own word as long as it contains Magic within!

1. There is so much magic in music, but I must say I have missed most of George Harrison’s songs.

Missed as in haven’t heard them in awhile and so miss them? Or missed them in not having heard them at all? In either case, you need to remedy the situation.

2. I have to say I have always thought of him as the ‘spiritual’ Beatle. Lovely Lisa!

Thank you, Linda.

3. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

A lovely tribute for George, metaphysical and rife with wonderful wordsmithing. Few of us knew how prolific a writer George was, and how much Paul and John kept him down.

❤ Thank you, Glenn. Those two were a hard act to follow, you have to admit!

4. Hope you get Bernie, but I doubt as I am a cynic when it comes to Divided States of Avenging:Infinity wars.. But I hope so, sadly you need billion people for every billion dollars, and dollars are fake-magic while people are real. But Oh, the economy suffers! so let us forget that it was invented to make our lives better.. Just saw your Bernie-poster, I am a Finn myself and Bernie is trying to get you the same as we have here. But as a country there’s some deep problems with USA… Socialism and everyone is running scared?

The American People are fickle. We are becoming a subjugated population that are unhappy but at the same time are terrified and paralyzed at the idea of change. It is so discouraging to see the best candidate ready willing and able to lead us out of this mess but having so many oblivious to the damage other choices will bring to our nation and the rest of the world.

5. I found North Indian classical music.. wow! Konnakol drumsongs and Raga Piloo, Magic!

Is that what you hear in this song? Or is that the music you listen to to find Magic?

6. I enjoyed listening to this Li, thanks for posting it.

You are welcome and it is pretty wonderful you gotta admit. The assembled musicians on that stage is unprecedented!

7. gillena says:

Holding on to that last line

much love…

8. Beverly Crawford says:

Let us all concentrate on love light, it’s so sorely needed!

George was intimately acquainted with magic. (K)

10. Wonderful piece! I love(d) George Harrison.

Thank you, Susan, glad you are a fan of George. Sorry for late response, just found your comment in my spam folder.

Thank you, Arcadia.

11. yay to music … especially nowadays …

12. badfinger20 says:

I enjoyed that Lisa.

🙂 I had the album cranked up again today. George has been keeping me company through this thing. I had a WEIRD dream the other night and George was in it at the end. I plan on making another drawing of what I saw, then using “Tintype” to see if it means anything. I know it sounds kryptic but you’ll see it soon.

1. badfinger20 says:

Hey anytime you see a Beatle…it’s a good thing. I once dreamed I was at The White Album sessions…they looked just like they looked then…it was really cool.

I’m looking forward to it.

13. Yeah. Loved that album, still have it, vinyl, and All Things Must Pass…
    wah wow, great.

Thank you very much, happy to see you’re a George fan 🙂

1. And then his work with the Traveling Wilburys… yeah, through and through.

14. Frank Hubeny says:

It is good to have the love light shine in.

Thank you, Frank, yes it is.

15. kim881 says:

We’ve been listening to The Beatles lately, and I agree about George Harrison’s work being spiritual. He was the magic Beatle. I love the psychedelic phrase: ‘Magic mantra circuits of / Kaleidoscopic waves’.

The Beatles are a ray of sunshine in a gray sky to me. Glad you enjoyed the poem, Kim, thank you.

16. the best of the bunch was George 🙂
    An excellent eulogy especially these lines
    “A clean-slated tap-dancer
    Twirls through Friar Park”

George is my angel, he’s always near. Thank you for reading and commenting, glad you enjoyed the eulogy 🙂

17. Ali Grimshaw says:

Great ending, “No matter how
    Your head is turned,
    The love light will shine in.”

Thank you, Ali, glad you enjoyed it 🙂

18. Jules says:

I think I’ll meet you in the Octopus’s Garden in the Shade… 🙂

See you there!

19. Grace says:

This last line is my favorite: The love light will shine in.

Thanks, Grace!

20. badfinger20 says:

Lisa…I know it’s not a big deal but it tickled me today on who gave me a “like”…it was on my favorite guitar solos…. Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues. Which to me is like one of the coolest things.

AWESOME, MAX!!!!!!! I can see why you are thrilled. So Amazing! Can you give me a link to which post please??

1. badfinger20 says:

It was just a like…but hey I’m happy

I couldn’t figure out how to see his “like” at the link, but that post got a lot of traffic! To think someone like Justin Hayward is reading blogs gives me a thrill.

1. badfinger20 says:

I know isn’t it cool! He didn’t pick a Moody Blues song either.