A2Z 2020 — essential oils — C — chamomile

C letter

The word Chamomile comes from the Greek meaning “ground apple”, probably because of its apple-like fragrance.  The Romans used Chamomile for incense. Roman Chamomile gained its name, not from ancient Rome, but because a 19th century plant collector found some growing on the ruins of the coliseum in Rome.  Chamomile was used in ancient Egypt for fevers and was dedicated to their Sun God Ra. To the Anglo Saxons, it was one of the nine herbs charm. — from Witchipedia

Chamomile – 3 main types (look for name and color)

Image result for chamomile matricaria recutita essential oilImage result for chamomile matricaria recutita
German – matricaria recutita                                                       image link

Germanmatricaria recutita – dark blue liquid
Good for: pain relief, inflammation, fever, rheumatism, arthritis, muscle spasm, neuralgia, endometriosis, menstrual cramps, detoxifying, abdominal cramps, stomach ache, inflamed skin, infected skin, wounds, rashes, psoriasis, eczema, acne, pimples, chillblains
Warnings: none known

Image result for Maroc – ormenis multicaulis chamomileImage result for Maroc – ormenis multicaulis chamomile essential oil
Maroc – ormenis multicaulis                                        Maroc essential oil

Marocormenis multicaulis, known as mixta or wild chamomile – greenish yellow liquid – from Morocco
Good for: muscle spasms, menstrual cramps, intestinal cramps, migraine, headache, nervousness, irritability, anxiety.
Warnings: none known

Image result for Roman – anthemis nobilis chamomile                                        Roman — anthemis nobilis

Roman chamomile essential oil

Romananthemis nobilis – pale blue to blue-green liquid
Good for: muscle spasms, rheumatism, cramps, rashes, acne, eczema, psoriasis, skin irritation, inflammatory skin infection, sunburn, dental and teething problems, insect bites and stings, insomnia, anxiety, nervousness, depression, stress-related conditions
Warnings: none known

RECIPE

Relaxing Essential Oil Bath Blend
Ylang Ylang 2 drops
Orange, Sweet 2 drops
Lavender, 1 drop
Chamomile, Roman 1 drop
Sweet almond oil (carrier oil) 2 teaspoons

Mix together. Makes enough for 2 baths.

–from The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, by Valerie Worwood

GRAS (spelled camomile on the chart) by the FDA

1. Chamomile has a lovely fragrance. The recipe for bath sounds good.

Yes it does 🙂 It grows wild around here. I use it for tea.

1. I have had chamomile tea once. 🙂

Isn’t it time to have it again? 😉

1. Yeah, once the lockdown is over. 😄

2. Tarkabarka says:

It’s fun that I’m reading this while sipping chamomile lavender tea… 😀

Great! Sounds like a tasty fragrant combination.

3. jazzfeathers says:

I love chamomile. I use the classic infuse and I find it so relaxing.
    Bit this is something I find funny. Some people find chamomile stressing. Both my sister and my boss say if they drink chamomile, they become agitated.
    Funny.

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

I find it relaxing also. Interesting on it having the opposite effect. Maybe like those with ADD are given caffeine to calm down, but in reverse?

4. Chris Hall says:

You have the bible! That’s a lovely bath recipe. I miss my essential oil infused baths, but water is too scarce here for such indulgence. However, I drink chamomile tea in the afternoon which seems to help me relax into my writing.

Chris, I bought the bible upon your recommendation. I wouldn’t have been able to do this series without it! I just added it as a category to tag with every post. Not every post has info from it, but most do. I’m so sorry you aren’t able to use water for a whole tub 😦

1. Chris Hall says:

Splendid! I’m enjoying your essential oil posts. I think I told you my copy’s falling apart through long and frequent use.

Yes you did, Chris. Mine’s on the table now, like you said, The Bible.

5. I always remember Chamomile because of Peter Rabbit where his mother gives him chamomile tea after his mis-adventures with Mr McGregor. I’ve not tried it though.
    Tasha 💖
    Virginia’s Parlour – The Manor (Adult concepts – nothing explicit in posts)
    Tasha’s Thinkings – Vampire Drabbles

You have a good memory! Chamomile as a tea is very relaxing to drink about an hour before bedtime. I haven’t tried using any of the essential oils yet.

6. Frédérique says:

Chamomile brings the image in my head of long blonde hairs 😉 There was a TV ad a long time ago, and a beautiful girl with long blonde hairs and a white dress, with flowers. In a field. Very soft and peace & love. For a camomille shampoo of course
    C is for Colour

That’s a pleasant image to bring to mind of it. I think I read where chamomile infusion can be used as a hair rinse also.

7. It looks a lot like a daisy.

Yes it does! Bunches of tiny little daisies on each plant. It’s a wildflower from what I see, as it grows all over the place here.

8. Your post in itself was so soothing…Have heard a lot about it ..Will definitely try it after the lockdown/curfew imposed in India is over.. Though am in dire need of it right now..😊

My wish is that you’re able to try it soon then.

9. Pradeep says:

The fragrance will make it quite appealing I guess.
    — bpradeepnair.blogspot.com

10. Anne Nydam says:

I think it must be the German variety that volunteers sometimes in my garden. Very cheerful!
    Black and White (Words and Pictures)

Thank you, Anne. You can dry the plants, chop them in food processor, and infuse them for tea!

11. Chamomile tea is good too. With Earl Grey yesterday and now this, it’s turning into quite a tea party!

My A-Z tale!

🙂 Yes it is, stand alone or mixed with other herbs. Tea party it is!

12. Anagha Yatin says:

I have a friend who is a fan of Chamomile tea. So to date, I knew it as the flavoring agent for food or drinks. And now this post has added to my knowledge.
    Wonder if this Chamomile oil can be used for body massage? If yes, I can request my spa to give me Chamomile oil for my next body massage date!

I’m sure it can, but you should never put essential oils directly on the skin, except in rare cases. It needs to be diluted first with a “carrier oil” like sweet almond oil. If you get the chamomile blend massage, let me know how it is!

It’s great for sleep.
    Is everything ok? You are awfully quiet these days. (K)

Kerfe, thanks for asking. I’m getting wrapped up in this A2Z, but hope to write one or two things today.

14. Lael-Heart says:

I’ve got some in my garden! I sure hope it survived the cold. It was just a teeny plant and oh so adorable. I drink it in tea form like medicine.

Awesome, Lael, it’s a wonderful medicine in all forms.

15. Once again, I learned something new. I did not know that there was a maroc variety. Chamomile is one of my favorite smells. I like the chamomile tea for its soothing qualities. I haven’t drank any in a while though because I drink so much other tea daily for medicinal purposes. I make it from the flowers though. As I already said, I have never ingested any essential oil.

16. Tamara says:

I used to have a “sleep well spray”, one ingredient was Chamomile, which I like better than lavender.

My C is for (Swiss) Chocolate: https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-z-2020-switzerland-chocolate.html

Chamomile does have a light fragrance, where a little lavender goes a long way.

17. Thanks for the timely information about that wonderful natural medicinal flower/plant! It brought back memories of chamomile tea, which I was given when I had a stomach ache or sour stomach as a child OR when I had a cold or whatever. Chamomile tea with honey is a really wonderful drink! I’m ‘borrowing’ your recipe for that bath relaxant too. 🙂 Great ‘C” choice! 😀

Awesome, Melanie. It’s a good remedy for more than I thought! Glad you find the recipe useful 🙂

18. I love the blue of German Chamomile – I find it as soothing as the oil itself.

19. Kathe W. says:

great post- looking forward to more tomorrow! Cheers!

Glad you enjoyed the post, Kathe. Do you have a blog?

20. Lisa says:

I grow the perennial Roman chamomile just for the pretty flowers, and to have yet another herb in my “collection!” The wild chamomile came up as a volunteer last year. We also call it pineappleweed.

Awesome! It’s a friendly plant that gives a lot.

21. soniadogra says:

I am particularly fond of chamomile green tea. The flowers are lovely too. I had no idea that there are these types too. Great compilation.

Happy you learned about the other types, Sonia.

22. I never knew that chamomile had so many benefits! Thank you for enlightening me. 🙂

You are welcome 🙂

23. I’ve been drinking a lot of Chamomile tea recently, so great to learn more about Chamomile.

Glad to hear it 🙂

24. S. M. Saves says:

Chamomile is one of my favorite teas. It’s also very tasty when mixed with spearmint and lemon grass. I started drinking it when I was looking for a way to take fewer NSAIDs for menstrual cramps. It does help, or it might be the extra fluid that’s being taken in because you have to drink quite a bit to feel the benefit. xD

I haven’t tried that tea blend, but it sounds good.

25. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

I love chamomile tea. The recipe for a relaxing bath sounds interesting 🙂

An A-Z of Faerie: Cù Sìth