A2Z 2020 — essential oils — B — Bergamot

B letter

Bergamot oil was a key remedy in Italian folk medicine and from the 16th century appeared in a number of European herbals as a febrifuge and antiseptic. It became popular as a perfume in Napoleonic times and was a key ingredient of the classical toilet water Eau-de-Cologne. It is still used in perfumery today as a harmoniser and it provides the delicate yet distinct aroma to Earl Grey tea. — Materica Aromatica

image link

Bergamot (citrus bergamia)

Plant appearance: an evergreen tree grown that can reach 13 feet tall; it produces white flowers and a fruit that resembles a pear-shaped orange. The fruit is green and turns to yellow when ripe. (description from Plant Village)

Part used: rind

Therapeutic uses: aromatherapy, acne and other skin issues, an anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, stress, lowers cholesterol

healthline.com says:
Precautions

1. Bergamot should not be used full strength or placed directly on the skin, as it will cause irritation. Add a few drops to a carrier oil or into your recipe, as directed.

2. Bergamot should not be swallowed. External use only.

3. Bergamot may cause photosensitivity – don’t go in the sun wearing it

4. General precaution – don’t use essential oils if pregnant (without researching first!)

GRAS — Generally Recognized as Safe by the Food & Drug Administration (FDA)

bergamot essential oil
RECIPE

Moisturizing Bergamot Hand Cream
–from sheknows

Supplies:

• 1 cup distilled water
  • 10-15 drops bergamot essential oil
  • 1 tablespoon wax pellets
  • 1 tablespoon shea butter
  • 3/4 cup sweet almond oil
  • 1-2 vitamin E capsules, broken open and liquid added to the mix (discard the shells)

Instructions:

1. In a large microwaveable bowl, add the wax pellets, shea butter, sweet almond oil and vitamin E oil. Microwave for about three minutes (or until the wax pellets have melted).
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the water and essential oil.
  3. Add the water mixture to the first bowl after microwaving.
  4. Use a stick blender to blend the ingredients until smooth (you can also do this in a regular blender). If you have any remaining water, simply drain it off.
  5. Place in a glass jar with an airtight lid.

1. Carol Anne says:

wow the recipe for the cream sounds cool I would love to try it out some time. xoxo

I hope you do, Carol Anne. Let me know if you do and how it works.

2. jazzfeathers says:

Seriously, Jade. I want to try all of you rrecipes.
    But where do I buy the engrediants, especially when they are a bit unusual (at least to me) like the wax pellets? Herbalist shops?

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

Some local shops have some of the most popular, like geranium, lavender, ylang ylang, as well as the carrier oils. I tried scouring the internet for various ones, and that’s a crapshoot because one place I went to (Eden Botanicals) that a friend recommended to me, sent me two (expensive) bottles of what had the consistency of tar. I sent them back registered mail and now they refuse to respond, refund, credit, etc. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt because of covid, but my hopes aren’t high. The other places (several) have been fine. I bought some oils through etsy (big sales places with good ratings) and unfortunately many through amazon. I am guessing you’ll have to go online for the wax pellets, but if you research, you might see if you can make your own with a candle?

1. jazzfeathers says:

Thanks for all the info. It’s not always easy to find all the ingredients for these recipes. But I want to try 🙂

Good luck on the hunt and let me know how it turns out!

3. Tarkabarka says:

The organization I work for hired an aromatherapist to make us a “story scent” we use when we tell stories. It has bergamot in it, among other things 🙂

How interesting! Did you notice difference in your telling or the audience’s listening when you used it?

2. This is such a fabulous idea – I can’t tell you how much it delights me!

4. Frédérique says:

Oh ok, didn’t know it was part of the Eau de Cologne component! I drink a lot (I mean a lot!) of tea, and of course the classic Earl Grey is one of my favorite 😉
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué

It is amazing how many uses most of the essential oils have. Thanks for stopping by, Frederique.

5. Chris Hall says:

Mmm I love that smell. I can bring it to mind…(nose?) 🙂

I do too! Since starting with the oils, the house smells alive 🙂

6. It is kind of odd that you indicate that Bergamot should not be swallowed and yet it is somehow used in Earl Grey tea.

Good question, Jim. I’m not sure how they infuse the bergamot into the tea. There are things called hydrolats, where the oil is added to water, then filtered to remove the oil but leaving the smell — and maybe its therapeutic qualities, depending on the oil — so I’m guessing that’s how it’s done.

7. I only know this one from the tea. I do like a nice cup of Earl Grey from time to time. I was thinking the same as newepicauthor, about it being for external use only – I assume it has to do with quantities.
    Tasha 💖
    Virginia’s Parlour – The Manor (Adult concepts – nothing explicit in posts)
    Tasha’s Thinkings – Vampire Drabbles

Tasha, I just responded to Jim about it. Check it out. BTW I read your entries at both blogs and now have you on my “visit circuit.”

8. I’ve always wondered what the wonderful smell coming from Earl Grey was. The name doesn’t give much away!

My A-Z tale!

Well now you know! Maybe they didn’t want the secret out?

9. Brilliant! Another bright idea – homemade hand lotion. This post series is going to going to stretch my brain and boost future DIY ideas to try. Bravo!

Cathy’s Pinup Girl #AtoZChallenge Art Sketch Series (B)

Thank you, Cathy. There will be a recipe each day, so get your notebook ready.

10. Lael-Heart says:

Mmmm. One of my all time favourites. I think it must be tied to a good memory somewhere because my adoration is more than just a a simple appreciation.

Last week Hubs bought me some Earl Grey but he got the kind without extra Bergamot so I thought I’d just buy some to toss in. Well. That was when I learned it was a citrus fruit and not a herb or root, lol. I had a good laugh at myself for that.

You could probably do the “hydrolat thing” with bergamot, but putting drops in water, then filtering it twice through a coffee filter. That said, when essential oils heat up they evaporate, so when you heated the hydrolat for tea it might destroy it…. Before consuming any essential oil (usually not recommended) make sure you research well.

1. Lael-Heart says:

That is an option. If only I were rich enough to have my own fruit grove…:)

Wouldn’t that be awesome!!!!!!

11. That is a funky looking fruit. I didn’t know that’s what gave Earl Gray some of its smell.

Monsterous Love from A to Z

Thanks for reading!

12. Kathe W. says:

oh boy- lots to learn about on your blog! Thanks for all your hard work and research!

13. I have used a lot of essential oils, but Bergamot is not one of them. It sounds like a spice, not a citrus fruit. My thought is that consuming bergamot in Earl Grey tea differs because it’s not the essential oil form? I never recommend consuming any essential oils but have read that people do that.

I think you’re right about bergamot in the tea. I love the smell of it. Way back when I took a soap making class and was introduced to it.

14. Tamara says:

I have seen Bergamot as an “ingredient” of perfumes but never knew what it looked like. Thanks for educating me!

You are welcome, Tamara.

15. Bergamot is one of my favorite citrus oils – it’s very bright and fresh without being overpowering.

good way of describing it!

16. soniadogra says:

I have no idea of this essential oil. Basically every place has their essentials depending on the availability of natural fruits and herbs. I’m so glad you enlisted the precautions to be followed.

The precautions will be on every one that has any. They are powerful and need to be used with care.

1. soniadogra says:

Yes. Thank you!

17. badfinger20 says:

I like these Lisa…very useful.

18. Suzy says:

Oh wow I didn’t know this was used in Earl Grey Tea. Learning something new everyday.

dropping by from the AtoZ

Suzy, I didn’t either until I put this post together. Thanks for stopping by!

19. Anagha Yatin says:

This is what I badly need these days. Due to Corona scare, I have been washing my hands more often to the extent that I will soon have OCD! And the result is the hands feel and appear dry and dull. I sure will make this at home once the lock-down is lifted and I lay my hands on the ingredients.

This lockdown is affecting us all and in various degrees. I hope lock-down is ended soon!

20. I love that you are including recipes. Another one to try out. But I wonder when I’ll be able to get the ingredients. The lockdown is harsh on that front!

Yes, it may be awhile before you can try them. Every day will have a recipe so get out a notebook for each day 🙂

21. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

The hand cream looks like something I’ll have to try out!

An A-Z of Faerie: Brownies