A2Z 2020 — essential oils — E — eucalyptus

on

E letter

The eucalyptus is a holy tree for Australian Aboriginals. For them it represents the division of underworld, Earth and heaven.  At a spiritual level the eucalyptus has a purifying effect. Negative energy disappears in the place where you burn a eucalyptus leaf.  — from The Joy of Plants

The essential oil today starting with letter “E” is Eucalyptus. There are 4 main oils from 4 different trees. For all of them the oil is extracted from the leaves and twigs of the tree. All 4 are from the plant family Myrtaceae.

Image result for blue gum tree
Eucalyptus globulus (Blue gum tree)

Eucalyptus globulus (from the blue gum tree). The oil is thin, colorless to pale yellow. It is good for respiratory infections, bronchitis, infectious disease, urinary tract infections, cysitis, and parasitic infections. It should be used on seniors and those convalescing. Avoid using it while pregnant or nursing.

Image result for lemon scented or spotted gum
Eucalyptus citriodora (lemon-scented gum tree)

Eucalyptus citriodora and corymbia citriodora (from the lemon scented or spotted gum tree). It’s a valuable tree for more than just essential oils. The oil is colorless to light yellow and has an intense citrus, balsamic aroma. Good for muscular injury, fungal skin infections, bacterial skin infections, sores, wounds, and more. There are no warnings for use.

Image result for broad-leafed peppermint tree
Eucalyptus dives (broad-leafed peppermint tree)

Eucalyptus dives (from the broad-leafed peppermint tree). Oil is thin pale yellow, with a woody balsamic aroma with a note of peppermint. Good for respiratory infections, sinusitis, influenza, fever, headache, migraine, abdominal cramps, leg cramps, menstrual cramps, neuralgia, cellulite, head lice, fatigue, exhaustion. Avoid using it while pregnant or nursing.

Image result for river white gum tree
Eucalyptus radiata (river white gum tree)

Eucalyptus radiata, aka Eucalyptus Australiana (from the river white gum tree). Oil is thin and colorless to yellow with softer eucalyptus aroma with woody note. There are more oil glands in this type than the others. It is the most appropriate for general aromatherapy. Good for respiratory tract infections, bronchitis, sinusitis, rhinitis, colds, fever, asthma, flu, mental exhaustion, fatigue, and as a general stimulant and tonic. There are no warnings for use.

RECIPE

General Insect Prevention Blend
(put oil drops in a spritzer then fill bottle with water and spray around house)

Eucalyptus lemon (citriodora) 20 drops
Basil 10 drops
Lavender 10 drops
Geranium 5 drops
Peppermint 5 drops…

All information (except photos) are taken from:
The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy, by Valerie Worwood

1. calmkate says:

I could smell them as I read, I do love our eucalypts!
    Friends used to have their own huge vat to burn off the leaves to make the oil …

Wow I bet that was pungent! I love the smell of it.

1. calmkate says:

for us it means “home” so I was very surprised when I smelt so many in Spain 🙂

2. Eucalyptus has so many uses – smells lovely too. I love the sound of that recipe!

E is for…!

Glad you find the recipe interesting.

3. I have been using it for relief from sinusitis. But I didn’t know it had so many other benefits. 🙂

🙂 As I’m learning about essential oils, it seems that every one has many many benefits. They are amazing.

1. They are truly amazing indeed. Looking forward to learning more.

4. Suzanne says:

I use eucalyptus oil a lot. It’s a great disinfectant and very useful for wiping down surfaces in the current crisis. It makes the house smell lovely .

Great idea! I can imagine it would.

5. Pradeep says:

I am very familiar with eucalyptus. They were there in plenty in my home state of Kerala.

6. If Eucalyptus radiata is good for respiratory tract infections, do you think it could help Covid-19 patients?

Jim, it seems reasonable to think it would, but I don’t know. I do know that at least a few of the oils I learned about have anti-viral qualities, including sweet savory. If I was a healthcare worker, I’d have a bottle of it in my pocket and breathe it in on a tissue frequently or put some on my face mask to stop the virus right there.

Jim, here is an article I found, but doing a google search there is a lot of varying information about it. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321401

This is very useful information indeed.

Thank you, Sadje. Glad you find it useful.

I love the scent of it.

8. Tarkabarka says:

I really like the smell of eucalyptus… whichever that is 😀

The Multicolored Diary

🙂 I do also!

9. Kathe W. says:

I love these trees! They smell so good and I like the rustling sound when there is a breeze!
    Plus when in Australia you can enjoy seeing the darling koala bears! Cheers!

Oh right! I totally forgot that koala eat eucalyptus leaves! I bet they do so smell wonderful on the breeze. It is probably so healthy to breathe that aroma in as well.

10. Kathe W. says:

OOOPs for got to add my link! https://katheatoz.blogspot.com/

Awesome! Now I can check out your A2Z!

11. Frédérique says:

Hmmmm, eucalyptus smell good! Great recipe, sounds like a nice repellant

E is for Embroirery

Thanks Frederique!

12. Tamara says:

Hubby and I spent our honeymoon in Australia. Guides told us a lot about Eucalyptus trees and the healing power of its oils.

My E is for Equality in Switzerland (or the lack thereof)

How wonderful to see eucalyptus trees and smell them on the breeze. Their essential oils seems pretty amazing!

13. Lael-Heart says:

4 different trees? I had no idea. How lucky are us humans?!

I didn’t either. God has blessed us with much

14. I did not know about the 4 different origins. I do use products with eucalyptus oil almost daily. I have lotion with eucalyptus globulus. Interestingly enough, the lotion is for body aches, but I find that the scent works well for my sinus issues too. That could explain it.

That’s very interesting and useful information to know about it, Alexandra.

15. Lisa says:

I so love the smell of eucalyptus trees! I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area, and the Oakland hills are full of them. We went to Tilden park often. The seed, nut, things can be used as a flea repellent on a dog or cat bed. I haven’t seen or smelled a eucalyptus tree since I moved in 2011.
    There are so many in northern CA because they were imported many years ago with the idea of building furniture. But, it’s too windy and the wood twisted. So, now they have pretty much gone “native.” Not good when there are fires though, because of the oils.

So very interesting! One of my later posts is on the bay laurel which seems to be very similar to the eucalyptus. Maybe they come from the same origins??

2. Beth Lapin says:

Just what I was going to say..memories of smelling them in Berkeley, loved it even if not natie, understand the need to remove them…

16. Eucalyptus seems to be a fave of everyone. I’ve been noticing florists are more and more including branches and sprigs in arrangements of late.

I haven’t bought any eucalyptus oil yet but am sure I will. I think that’s what is in a lot of muscle rubs.

17. soniadogra says:

I love the smell of eucalyptus. Used a lot of this oil for relieving pains in the past.

I do also. Muscles and lungs seem to like it.

18. Anagha Yatin says:

There used to be a eucalyptus tree at my mother’s backyard. It was tall and only the crows build their nests on it. On breezy days we would get the subtle smell of eucalyptus wafting in the air. I remember my and my brother experimenting to make eucalyptus oil from its leaves 🙂
    One more thing that associates me with this oil is my son. I have used it extensively for him when he was an infant and toddler as he was prone to chest congestion.
    This post on Eucalyptus made me nostalgic!

How awesome to have a eucalyptus tree growing in the yard. Did you succeed making the oil with your experiment? I grew up using Vicks for colds, which is basically eucalytus and menthol in a petroleum jelly. It works! Glad to give you some nostalgia, Anagha 🙂

19. jazzfeathers says:

Well, now. I really need that insect prevention blend!

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

20. I had no idea there was more than one! Such a variety of uses, I can see why it would be revered.
    Tasha 💖
    Virginia’s Parlour – The Manor (Adult concepts – nothing explicit in posts)
    Tasha’s Thinkings – Vampire Drabbles
    P.S. Apologies for being late – I am playing catch up since it’s been mad around here getting ready for the podcast launch today.

Glad you learned something about eucalyptus today. No worries on lateness. I’m running to keep up myself.

21. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

I love eucalyptus trees — their uses are so versatile! I think I’ll get some essential oil to help for migraines…

An A-Z of Faerie: Vila

Good for you, let me know how the remedy works!

22. selizabryangmailcom says:

Omg, it made me nostalgic too. Eucalyptus trees where everywhere on the campus where I went to school from 9 to 17! I remember loving the smell, the bark, the way they looked and years later always associated a sense of calm and peace with them whenever I was around them. No wonder!

To learn in the protective presence of trees, and such lovely trees they are. Thank you for sharing that precious memory, Stacie.

23. theresaly520 says:

I had no idea Eucalyptus was used for respiratory infection, fatigue, mental exhaustion, and even UTIs. I’m sure it’ll make a nice candle. Typically no essential oils can be ingested? Just inhaled?

Yes on essential oils are not to be ingested. Many are harmful full strength on the skin as well. They are so concentrated it could be dangerous. I know in my research I learned that one drop of peppermint essential oil is like 25 cups of peppermint tea! I believe I read the oils can harm the lining of your stomach if ingested.