A2Z 2020 — essential oils — F — Frankincense

on

F letter

Amongst many cultures around the world the fragrance of this resin was believed to increase one’s spiritual connection and intuition. The Chinese called it “fanhunxiang” meaning “calling back the soul fragrance.” It is often used in meditation, since the scent is calming, grounding and pleasant to the senses. It helps one to become more present in the moment and encourages feelings of peace. Several religions use frankincense incense in their ceremonies. It may be used to prepare the environment for ritual, and is said to call forth the angels and other invisible beings to assist in creating sacred space. Symbolically, the smoke that rises as the resin burns helps to carry prayers and offerings to Heaven.  — from Folk Herbs

frankincensecloseup

per Eden Botanicals:
Frankincense is considered to have the ability to cleanse the environment of stale, stuffy air or to clear unwanted energy where a negative situation has occurred. It is also regarded by some as a superior ally in the quest for increased vital energies and nourishment of the soul.

Frankincense, along with other prized aromatics, spices, precious stones, rare woods, feathers, animal skins and gold, was transported by caravans on the Incense Route and enjoyed a flourishing trade from Yemen and Oman in the Arabian Peninsula to the Mediterranean for nearly 500 years.

Egyptians used Frankincense in embalming, and the pharaohs believed that burning it allowed them to commune with the gods. Its Arabic name, Olibanum, is derived from al Luban, which means milk, a reference to the milky sap that exudes from the wound in a tree after an incision is made in the bark. The sap serves a purpose for the tree as it both heals and seals the wound and prevents infection; this exudate forms resinified ‘tears’ from which Frankincense oils are extracted.

Once a rare and precious commodity used for millennia by many religious, shamanistic and secular cultures, Frankincense oil, like Myrrh, offers many different therapeutic possibilities. It is especially valued for use in skin care preparations (with Patchouli or Neroli), to facilitate easy breathing (with Lemon or Pine), and for overall wellness (with Palmarosa or Lavender). Frankincense is legendary in its traditional and sacred uses and its ability to instill deep tranquility of mind, making it ideal for meditation purposes (with Sandalwood or Orange). “Soothing and balsamic – on both physical and spiritual levels – Frankincense eases the mind when troubled by thoughts of regret and worries of a mundane kind.

Appearance: Colorless, transparent, mobile liquid.

Precautions: Skin sensitization if oxidized; old or oxidized oils should be avoided. Dilute before using. A patch test should be performed before use for those with sensitive skin.

frankincensecloseup2

Which part of the world you live in and the number of hours of sunlight you get each day will affect your mood in the colder months.  If you live where you’re not getting a lot of sunshine, you could get the winter blues, or what they sometimes call Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD.)  You don’t have to take SAD laying down.  One thing I know that works as I’ve used it for years is “light therapy” where I sit in front of a 10,000 lux light for a minimum of 15 minutes a day.  In my new learning about essential oils, I’ve learned they can be used to lessen the blues.  Frankincense has come up multiple times as one oil that can help.  Below is one SAD recipe.

RECIPE

4 drops of orange essential oil (EO)
3 drops of lavender EO
2 drops of frankincense EO

Mix oils together.  Add a few drops to a water diffuser.  No carrier oil is needed for diffusion.

1. soniadogra says:

When I visited Egypt frankincense was one of the many oils I brought back. Great fragrance. I still have it with me. Thanks for this recipe. I’ll try mixing these. And I had no idea about using the diluted form.

Sonia, I’m glad you learned something. I used a few drops of frankincense, a few drops of geranium, and a drop of lavender last night and it gave me sound sleep.

2. Anagha Yatin says:

During our long stay of 7 years in UAE, I learned about Frankincense and have used it quite extensively. It indeed ushers in a pleasant feeling courtesy its aroma, in the room where it is burned on the ember.

So glad to hear you have used it a lot and like it. I have been using it in the diffuser with a few other oils and it really makes a difference!

3. jazzfeathers says:

There’s so much history behind incence. You made me realise how little I know about it.
    Great article. So informative.

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

Thank you, and glad to have informed you.

4. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

Very informative!

An A-Z of Faerie: Furies

5. I knew a little about this one because of the whole Christmas story and I remember looking into it once, but I had no idea of all the uses, especially for SAD.
    Tasha 💖
    Virginia’s Parlour – The Manor (Adult concepts – nothing explicit in posts)
    Tasha’s Thinkings – Vampire Drabbles

I’m definitely trying it out next winter for SAD.

6. I knew about its biblical connection but little more. Thank you once again!

You’re welcome!

7. Tarkabarka says:

There is a Hungarian folktale where a fairy queen uses incense to save her human lover, but the smoke turns her mortal…

The Multicolored Diary

Interesting!

8. Frédérique says:

Great post, as usual;) Great recipe too, next winter I guess I will try it.

F is for Free motion

Thank you, Frederique. I plan on trying it next winter as well. I look forward to your daily post!

9. As a Christian, I know one of the Three Wisemen brought Frankincense to the Baby Jesus. I believe it was representation for death to come but I also understand that it was an expensive gift of those times. I have some friends who suffer with SAD. The recipe using this essential ingredient might peek their interest. I will need to pass this on to them. Stay safe and well, my friend!

Cathy’s Pinup Girl #AtoZChallenge Art Sketch Series ‘F’

Cathy thank you for your thoughtful post. I hope your friends use the recipe for their benefit 🙂

10. I have heard so much about the virtues of Frankincense oil but this is the first time I’ve come across so much information regarding it. Thank you for sharing. 🙂

You are very welcome, Shweta. It is one of the more interesting essential oils.

1. Eagerly waiting for the next installment.

11. The three wise men presented their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh to baby Jesus.
    Solomon talks about frankincense in his poem a young Shulamite bride-to-be
    Your plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard, Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices

That garden would be intoxicatingly fragrant. Good info, Jim.

12. Liam says:

It was always fun to imagine that the Magi brought Frankenstein to Baby Jesus.

Calling forth the angels… that’s a nice thought! (K)

14. Tamara says:

I was raised Catholic, so to me Frankincense definitely means church service!

My F has a distinct smell as well…

So that’s what they burn in the censers? Interesting!

1. Tamara says:

Yes, it’s part of some ceremony. I believe they do it for important holidays like Easter and Christmas.

Thanks for the link, Tamara!

15. Kathe W. says:

Learning so much! Thanks! Come visit me- it’s all about birds!

Birds are good people.

16. Lael-Heart says:

Oh! Thank you! I have everything but the Frankincense. I shall start using this when the light leaves the sky. I cant wait to try it.
    I love the scent of this stuff. I have some in incense form and not only is it very relaxing but it also reminds me of the wood fires in Tanzania. When I yearn for the magic of that particular place, I burn it and float away on my memories 🙂

Awesome, Lael, and it’s nice the smell can take you back there.

17. badfinger20 says:

I’m looking forward to trying some of these..

Cool. I have the frankincense oil now and have been using it in the diffuser with other oils. It smells so good!

1. badfinger20 says:

I’m copying and pasting these into emails…or I could just go back to the posts!

18. Such an interesting and informative series..Learning a lot from you..

So glad to hear it, Pashmeena 🙂

19. Anne Nydam says:

I’ve seen the little dried nuggets, but I’m not sure I’ve ever really smelled frankincense. Now I’m really curious. Smell is one thing that still can’t go over the internet!
    Black and White (Words and Pictures)

I only have the oil but would love to see the nuggets.

20. I have frankincense essential oil and love the smell of it. The Bible mentions it as one of the gifts given to baby Jesus by the magi. It is known as the oil to use when everything else fails.

Ah! I knew the baby Jesus gift part but not that last part. Interesting!

21. Beth Lapin says:

Used this as a part of my daughter’s cancer treatment. Thanks.