A2Z 2020 — essential oils — G — Ginger

G letter

As early as the time of Confucius, the Chinese have grown and used ginger as both a medicine and a food. In ancient Asia, as today, it was valued for its ability to build fire, both as a digestive and as an aphrodisiac. The Mahabharata, a Hindu text written around 4 BCE, recorded the use of ginger as an ingredient in stewed meat dishes. The Kama Sutra goes on to suggest ginger as an effective means for arousing sexual energies. In ancient Auryvedic practice, ginger was often called the “universal medicine” because it’s generally good for all the doshas although it has special affinity for the kapha dosha. Even the Koran includes ginger in the feasts of Paradise. – from The Practical Herbalist

Image result for ginger
image link

Plant appearance:  Ginger is a perennial herb, where the rhizomes (like long roots) are used to make essential oil or are powdered, sliced, pickled for cooking. It is highly revered by the Chinese as a medicine. It is reputed to be an aphrodisiac. It is used as an ingredient in exotic perfumes. It is used in cooking to make both sweet and savory dishes. It is used for making ginger beer and wine.

Oil appearance:  Ginger’s essential oil (EO) is a pale yellow to dark yellow liquid.

Image result for ginger essential oil
image link

Therapeutic uses: fractures, rheumatism, arthritis, muscle fatigue or weakness, numbness, menstrual cramps, GI spasms, digestive problems, flatulence, diverticulosis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS,) constipation, nausea, sea or travel sickness, colds, chills, influenza, sinus congestion, circulation tonic, Raynaud’s disease, cold limbs, nervousness, mental exhaustion, general debility.

Safety precautions:  none, except do not put on the skin at full strength.  GRAS

RECIPE

Memory Enhancement Blend
Ginger EO 7 drops
Lemon EO 8 drops
Cardamom EO 10 drops
Black Pepper EO 5 drops

Combine oils in order and store in a small bottle. One method is to put 2 drops on a kleenex and breathe it in. Another is to put 8 drops of the blend in a small spray bottle then fill the bottle up with water, shake, and use it as a room spray. 8 drops can be put into a diffuser as well.

1. Did you mean The Mahabharata? This one is more familiar to me than the other essential oil. Ginger is must-have in every Indian household. 🙂

I pulled this from another website but will correct the spelling as I’m sure you know it. Thank you! I use crystallized ginger for making kombucha and in cooking but never tried it with therapeutic uses. What do you use it for in your house??

1. I had Googled it once again to be sure. I’m pretty sure it’s Mahabharata. Ginger has been mentioned there. You’re welcome. We use dry ginger along with pepper, tulsi, palm jaggery and some other ingredients to make a concoction for relief from sore throat and common cold. Ginger is also used for relief from indigestion. Ginger and garlic paste is one of the main ingredients in all our curries. My grandmother could probably list a number of other users. But, alas, I’m not as knowledgeable as her. 🙂

So good to know ginger is being put to good use!

2. Frédérique says:

Ginger is good!! My husband use it mainly in cooking, and I didn’t knew it had so many therapeutic uses, thanks for sharing such great informations and great post today again 😉
    F is for Free motion

Glad you enjoyed the information, Frederique!

3. Anagha Yatin says:

Ginger is frequently used in my kitchen. WE use it for making “masala” i.e. spice tea, for preparing various savory dishes using vegetables, to name a few. Ginger is indeed is mighty when it comes to fighting nausea and cough.
    All said, I however never knew about its memory enhancing capabilities! Thanks for sharing this piece of information.

Glad to hear how your family uses ginger. I had no idea it was good for nausea and cough until researching for the post, or memory enhancing either!

4. Tarkabarka says:

I love ginger as a spice. Half of our family recipes include ginger and soy sauce… 😀

The Multicolored Diary

I love ginger for cooking also! I had no idea it was used therapeutically until researching for the post.

5. I had no idea ginger had so many uses – I’ve mainly used it in tea to help digestion, cooking and baking (my mother has the best ginger cake recipe).
    Tasha 💖
    Virginia’s Parlour – The Manor (Adult concepts – nothing explicit in posts)
    Tasha’s Thinkings – Vampire Drabbles

Glad the post was educational for you, Tasha. I would love to have that recipe 🙂

6. I like ginger ale.

I do too! Totally forgot about ginger ale. There is a big difference in taste between brands also. I stopped drinking it when I stopped drinking sugary drinks.

Ginger is very useful indeed

8. Ginger comes in so many forms and I love them all – and my new granddaughter has ginger hair!

Awwwww the sweetest little baby face with ginger fuzz just popped into my head. Congratulations on being a grandpa.

9. Anonymous says:

I like ginger as a spice for baking. Very warm and Christmassy. My Mom uses it when she has a cold. I had no idea ginger helps to maintain / improve one’s memory. Good to know, though.

My letter G is about how to greet each other in Switzerland and our infamous mountain pass / tunnel Gotthard: https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-z-2020-switzerland-gruezi-at-gotthard.html

Glad you learned something from the post and nice to hear how you use ginger 🙂

1. Tamara says:

Oh, I have no idea why this was published anonymously? Sorry about that.

10. Liam says:

I love the flavor of ginger.

11. I drink a ginger infusion daily to improve health. I have ginger oil, but I think it smells funny. You can put some on a cotton ball and rub it in the area above the belly button for nausea.

I’m thinking you’re drinking ginger extract or hydrolat and not the essential oil? Interesting about applying it directly to the skin and the location. Can you check the bottle to see if this is an extract, essential oil, etc. for me?

12. Lael-Heart says:

Oh I bet that recipe smells good!
    I just watched a video last night about growing ginger. I’m going to give it a try.

That would be a fun one to grow that would be very useful to the household. I think ginger and ginseng must have some connection. Also the blossoms of peony smell like ginger 🙂

1. Lael-Heart says:

I always try and get a good sniff before the ants invade them 🙂

13. soniadogra says:

The moment I read China I wanted to add that in India it is a major ingredient of food items. And then you mentioned the Mahabharata and the Kamasutra. Though I was unfamiliar with the recipe at the end.

It’s a marvelous addition to the taste of food for sure.

14. Pradeep says:

Ginger is commonly used in our home. We use it in our curries, as well as put in water that is boiled for drinking.
    — bpradeepnair.blogspot.om

Pradeep, what form do you put into the water? I’m guessing a powder? Or the whole root?

15. Kathe W. says:

I use those 4 ingredients a lot in my cooking. Love putting crystalized ginger in salads, baking etc.
    Enjoying your blog- see you tomorrow! Cheers!

Awesome on the 4 ingredients! I use crystallized ginger in stir fry and also to feed my kombucha on its second ferment. Glad you are enjoying the blog, Kathe!

16. kristin says:

My husband adds ginger to almost everything. I like to make a lemon/ginger drink for coughs.
    Finding Eliza

Lemon ginger sounds delicious, and wonderful that it is medicinal also.

17. I’d better ease up on the ginger and spring onion sauce. The last thing Jimmy needs is an aphrodisiac 🙈

Well if you get tired of the drinking, there should be a plan b 😉

1. Hes still in the spare room. I may leave him there 😝

18. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

Ginger tea is great for nausea! Sometimes I make an infusion with Rooibos tea — it breaks the ginger’s bite on the tongue.

An A-Z of Faerie: Gancanagh

Nice to know Ronel. Rooibos is my nightly tea. What form is the ginger in? I have some ginger roots that have been in the cupboard for awhile. Am guessing these can be steeped?

19. Beth Lapin says:

Ginger is big in my life (and I used to have a dog named Gunger!)

It’s been pleasant to cook with, and I’m looking forward to trying the essential oil. I bet it would be great in the diffuser.

20. Anne Nydam says:

I love ginger, maybe the only spice that’s good in every course of every meal, from breakfast cereal to dessert, entrees to beverages, sweet and savory… Mmmmmmm. =)
    (Click the Blog link on the second row) : G is for Gotham

🙂 Glad you are a ginger fan!

21. S. M. Saves says:

Ginger is a wonderful herb/root. It’s fantastic as a tea if you need a little something more than just water but don’t want any sugar. It has a natural sweetness to it which is delightful.

🙂 I’m glad you can testify to its wonderfulness!

22. jazzfeathers says:

I love ginger. I use it in teas, cakes, food. I don’t really use essence diffused in the house… but after reading your challenge, tha might change 😉

@JazzFeathers