A2Z 2020 — essential oils — J — Juniper Berry

J letter

History of Juniper Berry Essential Oil

• Greek origins: Juniper was commonly burned in spiritual ceremonies by the Ancient Greeks to combat epidemics.
  • Medicinal folklore: Juniper Berry Oil has been traditionally used in ancient medicine by various cultures. The Zuni Indians for example used it to assist in childbirth.
  • Ward off evil spirits: Juniper berries have been used since ancient times to expel negative forces and illnesses. They were believed to cleanse and purify the mind, body and spirit.

–from Decleor

Juniper Berry (Juniperus Communis)

Plant appearance:  a low-growing shrub or 30-foot tall tree with dark blue berry-like seed cones.

What’s used for oil: the berries what are used.

Juniper bush with berries
image link

It has been used world-wide for a long time.

Juniper branches are used in spiritual ceremonies in Tibet and First Nations Peoples in America.

Learn more about the First Nations Peoples in America and the juniper here.

Find out more about the Tibetan ceremonies here.

The berries are also used for gin.

Oil appearance: colorless to pale yellow liquid

Therapeutic uses: fluid retention, cystitis, Urinary tract infections, abdominal bloating, menstrual cramps, heavy legs, detoxifying, cellulite, obesity, gout, rheumatism, arthritis, acne, ulceration, eczema, mental exhaustion, chronic fatigue, anxiety, tension.

Precautions: avoid if you have kidney disorders or are pregnant; GRAS

RECIPE

Back Pain Blend
Essential Oils (EO)
black pepper EO 3 drops
ginger EO 10 drops
eucalyptus radiata EO 5 drops
juniper berry EO 3 drops

Mix the above oils together, adding in the order listed. Roll bottle gently in hands to blend.
Dilute 4-5 drops of this blend into each teaspoon of carrier oil (e.g. sweet almond oil)
Note: with acute pain, apply 1-2 drops of the blend directly on the affected area.

1. Tarkabarka says:

Juniper (Boróka) is also a girl name in Hungary 🙂

The Multicolored Diary

It’s a very pretty name!

2. Chris Hall says:

One essential oil I haven’t used! I’ve used juniper berries in cooking though, and have certainly come across it in gin 😉

I’d be very interested in learning how you use them in cooking. Do you buy them from the store or pick them right off of the plant?

1. Chris Hall says:

Always store bought. Crush a few and throw them in a stew. Good with pork and sausages particularly and with braised cabbage of any kind with apples and/or cider.

Good tips, Chris, thank you! I’ve never seen them for sale in the store here 😦

1. Chris Hall says:

Maybe you can find online? Or get a bush for your garden? My health food shop stocks them.

3. Frédérique says:

Juniper is mainly used in beverage here 😉
    J is for Jewelry

4. Suzanne says:

That was an interesting read. I ordered some spasce clearing space via an online site last night. The only one I could get was juniper and sage. It will take two weeks to be delivered but it sounds like it will be be very cleansing.

Awesome, Suzanne! Essential oils can get us through this mess.

1. Suzanne says:

Yes, aromatherapy is very useful. I use a blend for colds every day at present. It wouldn’t stop the virus but helps keep my immune system function better. I don’t know what’s in it. My daughter made it for me. I’ll ask her what’s in it this week. She also made up some Theives Oil which she uses when she goes out. Have you tried it? I will put a recipe on my blog later today.

I definitely would like to have the recipe your daughter made. I do know about the thieves oil. The talk I went to a couple of months ago that got my whole interest in essential oils going talked about it. I have a bottle of the oil blend as well as a ‘5 thieves hand sanitizer’!

1. Suzanne says:

I’ll get you that recipe through the week. 😁

2. Suzanne says:

I asked my daughter. She said the colds aromatherapy she made wouod have been made from Doterra Immune Bomb essential oils blernd which is rather like Thieves oil. It’s a mix of lemon, oregano, tea tree, frankincense and a Doterra blend called On Guard. 😀

Thank you very much, Suzanne. I wrote it down and will see what’s in the On Guard 🙂 Awesome!

1. Suzanne says:

You’re welcome 😀

2. Suzanne says:

I think you buy the On Guard blend from Doterra. It might be a brand secret. 🙂

I bet you’re right. Haven’t checked it out yet.

5. I’m suddenly craving a gin and tonic!

J is for …

lol I’ve never tried gin (or tonic) but I know I’ve seen those berries on shrubs before.

The wonders of nature…(k)

7. Can you make a pie from them?

They look like blueberries but I would advise against it 🙂

8. ghostmmnc says:

My aunt has a really tall juniper tree that I’ve taken photos of with the berries. Also, it is bad for allergies – my daughter and grand-daughter get sick from these trees. Our local weather ? thing puts out allergy reports, and warns when juniper is heavy in the air, which it has been lately.

Wow, Barbara, good information to know! A hot climate must suit them. I don’t see a lot of them growing wild in MI. I think that usually they are bought as landscaping plants.

9. Tamara says:

I will tell my friend who likes a good G&T what health benefits she is benefitting from, she’ll be happy to hear it! (I’m secretly hoping the same is true for simple grapes..???)

Happy Weekend 🙂

My J is about Switzerland’s Justice System: https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-z-2020-switzerland-justice-system.html

LOL Thanks for your comment and Happy Weekend to you also 🙂

10. Kathe W. says:

Summertime calls for juniper berries in the form of gin to go with the tonic and lime. However your blog has taught me that there is more! Thanks!

Glad to help. You’re welcome!

11. I don’t just juniper berry EO often, but I do occasionally diffuse it – it’s warm resinous, sweet “junipery” scent feels especially supportive to me during winter. Thanks for the link to the Tibetan site – there’s a lot there to explore.

I can imagine it gives a Christmas-y feel on the air. You are welcome. I was amazed by the info at that and the other sites.

12. Beth Lapin says:

Sometimes, I just nibble on a berry while I’m walking through the woods

Awesome! How do they taste? I’m thinking piney?

13. badfinger20 says:

Thanks for the work you put into this Lisa…I appreciate it.

Thanks Max! Glad you enjoyed learning about Juniper berries. Do you have juniper trees in TN?

1. badfinger20 says:

Yes….it’s the Official State Evergreen Tree of Tennessee… I just looked it up.

14. soniadogra says:

I think juniper is found in the Himalayas here. It has great ayurvedic relevance.

Good to know, Sonia.

15. Very interesting post, Li.

Thanks, glad you found it interesting, Punam.

1. You are welcome, Li.

16. Shari Elder says:

Lovely post. I love how the berries subtly create cultures across time and place. Lifting a glass of gin to you. sharielder.com

🙂 Thanks Shari. Cheers!

17. I have never used the oil, but I have juniper berries in the house. They are in ingredient in Sauerbraten, a German dish.

So good to know that they are used in so many ways.

18. Great information on this berry, which I knew nothing about . . . except gin.

Glad you found it useful!

19. I found this post very interesting. My sister bought me a diffuser for essential oils for my last birthday but have yet to use it.

I hope you start using it soon. Essential oils can lift your mood in the diffuser. Many can be found at the local health food store.

20. jazzfeathers says:

Back pain? I need it.
    Say, are you going to make a collection of this recipes when the challenge is over?

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

I have them indexed by A2Z2020 so in a way they are in a collection.

21. pvcann says:

Such a delightful smell for me, sigh.

22. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

Pretty berries! Looks like a recipe to help with my back pain from sitting behind a computer all day 🙂

An A-Z of Faerie: Dagda