A2Z 2020 — carrier of essential oils — K — kukui (nut oil, carrier oil) and a few words about Carrier Oils

K letter

A Few Words About Carrier Oils

Essential oils (EO) are rarely used undiluted.

When diluting EOs, the ways of using them increases.

The easiest ways of diluting EOs are to use a carrier oil.

Sweet almond oil is the most suitable carrier oil and has been the default oil in all of the recipes I’ve included so far. If you want to try others, do some research to find suitable replacements. It’s also common to see blends of carrier oils in recipes, but many times there is a maximum percent of the alternate oil to blend with. Do your research before experimenting.

It is important to use PURE, ORGANIC, NATURAL plant oils. The machine processing of those that aren’t can destroy some/all of the beneficial aspects to the oils.

Today’s offering will be a carrier oil rather than an EO.

Kukui Nut Oil was used on boats and canoes to waterproof them. Since 1896 is was used on surfboards and used in a “surf building ritual” prior to hitting the waves.  Kukui Nut Oil was also originally used for lamp oil to create light and even for keeping track of time. Early Hawaiians would line up 5 Kukui Nuts and light them one at a time, hence why they are also known as candlenuts. A common situation would be to tell a loved one to be home before the second Kukui nut burned out. – from Hawaii Kukui Nut Oil

Kukui nut tree

K Kukui (carrier oil)

Kukui (Aleurites moluccana)

Source of oil: nuts from Hawaii and South Asia

Oil appearance: light yellow

Qualities: emollient, moisturizing, nourishing, regenerative, restorative, protective

Skin types: all

Used for: dryness, irritation, eczema, psoriasis, acne, soreness, sun damage

Precautions: if you have a nut allergy/sensitivity, do a skin test prior to use.

Keep away from high temperatures and direct light.

Image result for Kukui carrier oil
image link
RECIPE

Anti-Wrinkle Oil Blend
found at Organic Beauty Recipes

Ingredients

Carrier oils:
6 teaspoons organic kukui oil
2 teaspoons organic rosehip seed oil
2 teaspoons organic evening primrose oil

Essential oils optional but will definitely be beneficial:
10 drops organic frankincense EO
4 drops organic carrot seed EO
10 drops organic lavender EO
10 drops organic rose EO

Containers needed:
1 cobalt glass bottle with screw cap

Instructions

• Combine carrier oils and essential oils in a 50 ml (about 2 OZ) dark colored glass bottle.
  • [Roll] well before use and apply daily in the evening for at least a month to see results.

1. Frédérique says:

Oh yes, I know this one, in Tahiti it’s named Tutui, very close to the Hawaiian name.
    Great skin recipe 😉
    K is for Kaleidoscope

Awesome, Frederique! It’s one I’d like to try.

2. Tarkabarka says:

Fascinating! I’d like to see how a candlenut burns…

The Multicolored Diary

3. I knew nothing about carrier oils. Another interesting and informative piece.

K is for …

Thanks, Keith!

4. Anagha Yatin says:

Be before second Kukui nut burns out reminded me of my mothers warning to be home (after playing) before 7 pm. At 7 pm the street lights used to be turned on in my town. And it was the indication that time was up!
    Now that I am nearing my 50’s, I soon will need to tackle the wrinkles and this blend seems to be a good one. Taking down the recipe in my notebook for future use. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Anagha. Glad you find the recipe useful.

5. Tamara says:

Kukui sound Hawaiian alright! Still on my travel bucket list.
    I have an unopened bottle of almond oil in my bathroom cabinet. What do I do with it?

My K is for Kuhfladen, which translates as cow pie 😉

Carrier oils have an expiration date, so check your bottle to make sure it’s still good. You can put it directly on your skin. I would use one of the recipes that have been given with it if I were you 🙂

6. Kathe W. says:

wow- never heard of Candle Nut….would love to see one lighted! Cheers and see you tomorrow!

Me neither until I looked for a “k” oil.

7. Fascinating! I’d never heard of kukui nut before. Always good to learn something new!

Operation Awesome

Thanks for stopping by 🙂

8. Arti says:

“…to be home before the second Kukui nut burned out.” isn’t that just so perfectly romantic?
    I like the name too–It sounds like a bird call.
    Cheers.

Yes it is 🙂

9. Pradeep Nair says:

Though I have heard of oils being used for various skin ailments, I hadn’t known about carrier oils. Learnt something new! Thanks.

You are welcome!

10. Anne Nydam says:

Wow, that is so cool to have a nut that makes a lamp all by itself!
    Black and White (Words and Pictures)

11. Great post!. I think once people start making their own lotions and potions they will never go back. A few years ago I started making my own oils and lotions and more. I haven’t bought a body, face, or lip balm since then.

I’m heading in that direction and I’m sure it is MUCH healthier for you without those endless chemicals they add and not generating more plastic containers with each purchase. I’m growing a collection of glass bottles and container and am adding oils.

12. I have read about kukui nut before but have never used it.

13. I’ve not used kukui nut oil, but I’ve been meaning to try it ever since I was told the word is Hawaiian for enlightment. I’m not entirely sure that’s correct, but clearly it has some connection to light if it’s known as candlenut. I’m utterly charmed and fascinated by that. Another great informative post!

Thank you, Deborah, it does appear to have special qualities, which is no surprise as it grows in paradise. I’d like to get some for my shampoo recipe.

14. jazzfeathers says:

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this oil. And I’ve certainly never heard of the use of the fruit as candle. That fascinating.

@JazzFeathers
    The Old Shelter – Living the Twenties

Glad you learned something from my post 🙂

15. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says:

Interesting. I’ve never heard of this one before. Thanks for sharing!

An A-Z of Faerie: Kelpie