A2Z 2020 — essential oils — L — Lavender

L letter

On St. Luke’s Day in the 14 and 1500s, young maidens sipped lavender in hopes that they would be granted a dream in which they would see their true love. Lavender tucked under the pillows of young men was thought to encourage them to ask for a lady’s hand in marriage. And completing the circle, lavender was used by wives to ensure their “husband’s marital passion.”  — from Our Herb Garden

Image result for lavender
lavandula augustifolia

Lavender (lavandula augustifolia)(true lavender) is a shrubby evergreen bush with flowers of various shades of lavender to purple.

Part used: flowering tops, harvested in midsummer

Where it is grown in the world (altitude, soil, etc.) will have an effect on its properties.

Oil appearance: colorless to yellow-tinged

Therapeutic uses: inflammatory conditions, skin infections, wounds, cuts, grazes, rashes, itching, stress-related eczema, nervous psoriasis, sunburn, burns, muscle spasms and contractions, abdominal cramps, headaches, migraine, insomnia, nervousness, acne, pimples, insect bites, stress, tension, anxiety, panic

Precautions: none known; GRAS

Note: lavendula latifolia (spike lavender) is grown at lower altitudes than true lavender and produces three times as much oil as true lavender. It is often used as a dilutant for true lavender. It has many of the same properties as true lavender.

Image result for lavender essential oil
lavender essential oil
RECIPES

2 Anxiety Blends

For tense anxiety (body tension, muscle pain, aches, sore body)
Clary sage EO 10 drops
Lavender EO 15 drops
Chamomile EO 5 drops

For apprehensive anxiety (unease, apprehension, worrying, brooding, over-anxiousness, paranoia, sense of foreboding)
Bergamot EO 15 drops
Lavender EO 5 drops
Geranium EO 10 drops

For either one, blend the 3 EOs by rolling in a bottle

For a body oil, add 15-30 drops of the blend in each fluid oz (30 ml) of a carrier oil (eg sweet almond)

For use in bath/shower/diffusers, no carrier oil is used

1. Frédérique says:

Hmmm, a bath with lavender… relaxing just thinking about!
    L is for Landscapes

2. Pradeep Nair says:

That’s a whole lot of information about lavender.

Hoping you enjoyed the information 🙂

3. Tarkabarka says:

I love the scent of lavender! The monks in Tihany, the oldest monastery in Hungary grow lavender fields, and sell all kinds of things, including lavender ice cream… 😀 They even have a lavender festival!

The Multicolored Diary

That festival sounds like a lot of fun. I can’t imagine how good it would smell near a lavender field, and oh my, the hum of the choir of bees!

Nothing like the scent of lavender…. (K)

5. I like Lavender air freshener.

It helps me relax and takes away minor aches and pains in my feet and legs.

Great, Sadje. I used a recipe for a foot soak the other night that was awesome. It had sea salt, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and lavender in it.

I have a foot soak with lavender but the baking soda makes my skin too soft and it breaks easily.

Ah good to know!

7. Anonymous says:

Another favourite of mine! Now this one’s easy to grow here – I have English and French varieties in my garden. I dry the flowers for pot pourri.

Glad to hear it. I know it will grow here in MI as well but for some reason I’ve never had it in the yard.

8. I simply adore the fragrance of lavender, and it’s easy to grow in pots on my balcony too!

L is for …

Another one of nature’s gifts to us!

9. Arti says:

I keep lavender seed cushions in my cupboards and in between linen. Love lavender flowers and its scent.

I’ve used them that way before as well, and it does give the linens a fresh scent. It may be an insect repellent also, not sure.

10. soniadogra says:

I love the fragrance of lavender and also that purple shade. Wonderful to learn about its uses.

Of the oils I’ve bought since the beginning of my interest (Feb of this year) lavender is one I use more than the others. Geranium is the other one.

11. Lael-Heart says:

Lavender was the first EO I ever tried. It was in a mist that I sprayed on my pillow and face before bed. Now every night before bed, if I have the Grands I put lavender cream on them. They like the touch and I like the full night’s rest.

Awwwww that is so wonderful about your Grands. They will think of you every time they encounter it in life ❤

1. Lael-Heart says:

Awe ❤ I hope so.

12. Tamara says:

I expected your L to be about Lavender – it had to.
    I’m probably the only person who doesn’t like the smell of it, it almost gives me a headache. And it’s too bad, too. I am in need of calm and relaxation!

My L is about Switzerland’s beautiful lakes.

Tamara, it’s a very strong scent, easy to overpower. There are a LOT of essential oils that can bring calm and relaxation. Do some research and find one to use in the diffuser to help!

13. I always have lavender oil on hand. Years ago, I burned the palm of my hand pretty bad. I would say a second degree burn, but it covered several inches. It hurt so bad, but all I had was a bottle of French lavender essential oil. I didn’t have time to dilute it, so I just poured it on. The next day I just went on with business as usual. It wasn’t until quite a while later that I remembered I had burned myself because there was nothing there, not even a scar.
    I know they say not to use undiluted oil, but I do it quite a bit (in small quantities). I react very well to natural substances and never had a problem. I would never ingest any though.
    Also, if you can’t sleep, dab some lavender eo on your wrists before going to bed.

Alexandra, I read that about lavender, and it’s good to hear it confirmed by you that it’s a miraculous healer for burns. I have been using it in the diffuser quite a bit for sleep.

14. Lavender certainly has wide appeal. As a natural perfumer I’ll attest to the fact that different lavenders have different scent profiles. That makes it fun to experiment and blend with.

I love the folklore about lavender. It’s often used in dream pillows even today.

The Worwood book has a good section on the art of perfume. It looks like a fun thing to get into.

15. Lavender smells heavenly and great to know so many uses of it.

The lady who gave the talk at the library who got me started on essential oils said lavender is her go-to oil for everything!

1. Indeed, it can be used in so many ways.

16. Beth Lapin says:

We have a lovely lavender farm nearby. Walking in their fields is a dream, and their gift shop contains a little of everything lavendaer.

You don’t live in Michigan do you?

17. Kathe W. says:

Lavender is my all time favorite! Cheers and be well!

Thanks, Kathe!

18. Recently I’ve started using lavender everything. And, I’m quite sure that a relaxing agent is just what we need right now! 🙂

Uh-huh 🙂 Good for you, Sascha.

19. Ronel Janse van Vuuren says: