Doodads — growing things

As humans agonize over viruses and the ripples from them, life goes on for much of the planet.

Last year I planted Swiss Chard in a large pot and forgot about it.  Glory be, it is alive and kickin.  Soon I’ll be eating homegrown Swiss Chard!

swisschard1_scaled down_041320swisschard2_scaled down_041320

I planted 36 brandywine tomato seeds I saved from last year.  So far only 3 have sprouted, which isn’t encouraging.  I’m about to start a new batch and hope for the best.  Here is one of the trio, growing well and already with second leaves on it.  Even if only 3 plants grow, I’ll have plenty of tomatoes as this variety has great production.

brandywine tomato seedling

Next, 3 of the 4 pots of herbs I planted on the 4th have one sprout each.  Hoping more will burst forth soon!

basil seedling scaled downchives seedling scaled downcilantro seedling scaled down

1. Shuku Li says:

Swiss chard! Oh I miss that tremendously, we can’t get it here.
    On the other hand, I did get a huge box of vegetables today that will last me into next week, and we had chayote shoots!

Shuku sorry you can’t get the Swiss chard where you’re at but happy you got a huge box of veggies. What are chayote shoots?

2. I had a nice vegetable garden once full of peppers and tomatoes, but one day when I came home from work, I saw the groundhog ate everything. Very discouraging.

Dangit! Sorry your nice garden got chomped by a critter.

3. badfinger20 says:

I never had Swiss Chard before…or I didn’t know I had it.

I learned about it a few years ago when I bought a season’s share of crops. It’s cut from the stem, julienned, and cooked like greens. It’s one of those things that takes on the flavor of what you’re cooking it with. It’s also very healthy for you — and easy to grow, I now see 🙂

1. badfinger20 says:

That is interesting. I need healthy lol. Ok I will know now.
        I like that it takes the flavor of whatever.

An easy way to use it is in scrambled eggs.

Last ear my first without growing basil in a long time…maybe next year…
    It’s so wonderful to watch plants grow. (K)

There is still time for basil, if they lift the lockdown! Yes, it is wonderful. Incremental change in a positive direction 🙂

5. Lael-Heart says:

Its so exciting to see things popping up!
    I’ve got cantaloupe, carrots, cabbage and…sui choy. Nothing up yet but I’m one step ahead of where I was last year, ha ha.
    Congrats on your Swiss Chard! It looks beautiful!

Oh so awesome on your produce planting. What is sui choi? I’ve heard of bok choi and have used it in stir fry. Congratulations on planting! Thank you on the Swiss Chard. From what I’ve read it will keep coming up now 🙂

1. Lael-Heart says:

Woot woot! Swiss Chard is so pretty.
        Honestly, Sui Choy looks just like bok choy…I’m guessing it tastes the same. Gues I’ll find out if I can keep my babies alive 🙂

Great! I just transplanted the 3 tomato babies into bigger pots and planted more seeds. I think the soil got too wet and molded 😦 Live and learn!

1. Lael-Heart says:

They are such big babies! Everything has to be just so…grumble grumble.

6. ghostmmnc says:

Very cool to see things sprouting and growing! 🙂