#Haikai Challenge #139: fragrant breeze (kunpuu) — Spring’s Fragrant Array

on
hyacinth, flower, spring garden, spring flowers, spring, pink ...
hyacinth and violets

Spring’s Fragrant Array

Rosemary pushes
Against lake breeze from the west
As it gathers friends.

Violets, lilies, lilac;
Hyacinth dance with humus.

Earthworms inhale to
Celebrate in their blindness
Spring’s fragrant array.

Today’s offering is an Oriental Octet. An Oriental Octet is an invented verse form that appears to emulate the syllabic pattern of the tanka and haiku. It was created by James R. Gray who requests the theme of the poem be nature. Characteristics also include an octastich (a poem in 8 lines), syllabic, 5-7-5-7-7-5-7-5 syllables per line, and unrhymed.

Frank J. Tassone is the host of Haikai Challenge.Β  Frank says:
This week, write the haikai poem of your choice (haiku, senryu, haibun, tanka, haiga, renga, etc.) that alludes to a fragrant breeze (kunpuu).

1. Lovely poem. I love rosemary with my Sunday lamb 😍

Glad you enjoyed it, Bernie. I have a big rosemary plant that I put out in summer and bring in for winter. I rub the needles every time I open the slider.

1. Mine is out winter and summer. It’s in flower now. I love the smell 😍

Mine has never flowered 😦 Maybe one day it will?

1. keep it cut back, it will flower. xx

heading out the door with pruning shears after hitting send. Thanks my friend!

1. 😘😘😘

2. Jules says:

I knew this form as (named) a renga. I think your Oriental Octet is lovely.
    Most of my hyacinths are gone. But I did get some for Mother’s Day so I get to enjoy them a while longer.

I actually did my haikai today (moments ago) just because it fit with what I was already going to post – I just had to add some verses πŸ˜‰

Ah, maybe it is another name for renga? Will check yours out. I’ve got the violets and the lavender now and lilacs are about to blossom.

1. Jules says:

My neighbor had to wait (or did anyway wait) six years for her lilac cutting to have flowers – and it had shoots/babies this year… that she said I could have. So maybe I’ll have to wait a few years for flowers too? I tried lavender once but maybe it didn’t make it…

There is a huge tree of it that was here when I moved in 9 years ago that needed serious pruning (1/3 every year for 3 years) to bring it back to life. It blooms fully now and it has some babies underneath that could (will?) be dug up. I have bought 2 dwarf Korean lilacs since then, one from a box store and one from a couple that have their own greenhouse. Both were doing ok but not so hot where they were, so I dug both up this spring and planted them in the new bed where they have good soil and full sun. One of those 2 had a baby so now there are 3 in the new bed. One is about to have its first real bloom (from the couple) and the other two probably not for awhile. Have you planted the babies your neighbor gave you? Not sure I ever tried to grow lavender but it’s time to start πŸ™‚

1. Jules says:

I tried lavender from a box store… it didn’t make it. But I have about 1/2 dozen ‘baby’ lilacs that I dug up and move. I’ve got some by the side of my house – so they are going to have to be kept at a reasonable size as to not be overwhelming.

I had something – maybe juniper in front of my lower windows (split level)… that I pulled out because they were blocking the windows. I’ve seen some in the neighborhood that have morphed into trees taller than the houses they were planted in front of. Some holly bushes, I’ve seen grown into huge trees too.

3. I could see the scene with your words, Li! 😍

πŸ™‚ I’m so glad!

4. judeitakali says:

This is beautiful

Jude thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

5. Michelle says:

Beautifully written! I could almost smell the fragrances!

πŸ™‚ Glad you enjoyed it, Michelle!

6. This form could certainly be a form of solo #renga. Beautifully done!

Frank, thank you very much. I will remember that about the solo renga.

7. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #2: Jade Li’s latest solo #renga (Oriental Octet) for my current #haikai challenge!

8. The worms cannot see, but they can smell! Interesting to ponder.

I hope they can smell. If not, they are missing out πŸ™‚

What a beautiful picture in both image and fragrances! (K)

Glad you like it, Kerfe.

10. jazzytower says:

Earth worms inhale…this made me smile. Nicely done.

Pat

11. Beautiful poem and photo and I love the format. I am inventing my own of 26 words for my 26 poem challenge and it seems to help to keep to a form. Will check this one out too.

Thank you so much and glad to hear you’re going to build one πŸ™‚