dVerse — MTB — I, Ginger Baker

Baker is credited as having authored rock’s first epic drum solo
Ginger Baker, “Rock Drumming Colossus,” photo by Rex

I, Peter Edward Baker, was born in South London on August 19, 1939,
the son of me mum, Ruby, who worked in a tobacco shop and me da,
a bricklayer son of a bricklayer – until the Royal Signal Corps
put him on the front lines.

Blitzkreig bombings started when I was a wee lad of a year, until I was two.
Da’s booming voice was now the bombs, always coming. The tick tick tick
as they came in, then silence before KA-BOOM. Something about the noise
was soothing, like having da home.

Old tin cans and sticks found in the rubble is when I started.
Mum got news when I was 4 that da wasn’t coming home.
Blasted trying to take Dodecanese islands from Italians
My ginger curls bounced as I made da’s voice immortal

At fifteen, Phil Seamen, THE jazz drummer of the time, took me on
He shot up as we listened to African beats; he made me promise
never to touch the stuff myself. Phil, you taught me everything.
In the 60’s I picked up the needle. It’s what you do not what you say.

Quiet never suited me. When I put the sticks down chaos filled the spaces
Four wives, three children, and band after band after band
London, Canterbury, Italy, Nigeria, Lagos, California, Colorado,
South Africa, pounding two bass drums and anyone I loved

Despite the punishment I gave this body – I quit smack 29 times! –
It kept moving until finally my lungs stopped puffing and my skipping
heart let me know it wouldn’t be ignored anymore — then stopped.
On October 6, 2019, under my earth blanket, I can finally rest in peace.

May 2015:

Grace is today’s host of dVerse.  Grace says:
…for today’s Poetics prompt, compose a poem using “I am…” with a First Person narrative.

1. Grace says:

Goodness, what a life and an adventure. That part of living during war time must be really scary. Quiet never suited him for sure with different music bands. You got his tone and words Lisa as if you are the character, Ginger Baker.

Grace, thank you. I watched a really good doc on him last week, and he’s been on my mind since then.

2. brian miller says:

Nice take on the prompt. Addiction is so hard. Once you stop breaking the cycle… And not restarting. Drugs have taken so many talented artists as well

Thank you, Brian. Despite all that he lived to be 80!

3. You fooled me. I thought the beginning was an intro autobiography you’d lifted from Wikipedia!

LMAO, I only do that for the non-poetry music posts.

1. Good replication though 🙂

4. Wow- incredible Lisa!

Thank you, Linda.

5. kim881 says:

Like Ginger, I was born in South London, and my birthday is in August. I can’t believe he was only two years younger than my mum! He grew up in Lewisham, where my Aunt Lille lived, not far from Bermondsey, where the rest of my mum’s lot lived and where my children’s WW2 novel is set. I used to love Cream and remember their last concert. He was an incredible drummer.

Kim, I envy you that close connection to Ginger’s home turf. Your Aunt or other relatives probably ran across him at some point. To think your mum went through some of that same war trauma… Cream may be the best blues rock group that ever existed. I want to get that Live at Albert Hall DVD. Borrowed it from the library a few months back and was really overcome by watching it.

6. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

This is an incredible poem. I adore Bio-Poetics. i’ve done several, like John Lennon, and Sylvia Plath. I find famous voices a bit transformative. This piece fills in a lot of gaps, and packs a whole life into one page; so cool.

❤ Glenn, so glad you enjoyed the poem.

Fantastic!

You’re welcome Li

8. Great poetry and I was also fooled like Jane, but I won’t get fooled again.

Thank you, Jim, glad you liked it.

9. Beverly Crawford says:

What a wonderful twist on the challenge. I’m totally impressed. Nicely done!

Beverly, thank you so much. Glad you enjoyed it.

10. Irene says:

I really enjoy your piece, and thank you for the cool pic and links to go with it!

Irene, thank you very much, glad you enjoyed the post 🙂

11. You always surprise me Lisa. This was exceptionally good. I have been thinking about him a lot this week too probably because of a post on SLS. Great job 🙂🥰

❤ Christine, so glad you connected with the poem. Thank you!

12. Lucy says:

Wow, this is absolutely incredible. I was blown away especially by the first few lines, and this was so beautifully entwined with impactful and heartbreaking imagery. This was a journey in your words, and I am in awe. Excellent, powerful writing.

Lucy, thank you so much and am glad you connected with Ginger’s life story.

13. nickreeves says:

Ace & Cream
    xo

14. Sherry Marr says:

Wow, you captured his voice and his life so well I could see him, though I had not known about him. What a roller coaster of a life he lived and I’ll bet he loved it, despite the struggles.

Thank you, Sherry. I think he did too.

15. I really enjoyed reading this, Li. Never knew that much about Ginger Baker. What a great poem. Really well done!

Susan thank you and glad you learned more about Ginger 🙂

16. Nicely done. While he wasn’t exactly the affectionate type, as vividly illustrated in the great film documentary “Beware of Mr. Baker,” there’s no question he was one hell of a drummer. Obviously, an integral part of Cream, a giant among the super-groups and perhaps the most compelling rock trio ever. Though I will say that listening to 13 minutes of Toad borders on torture! 🙂

Nicely said, Christian. LOL. I listened to every second out of respect for the man and knowing he’d never play Toad with these two again.

You really entered his psyche. Such intensity. (K)

Kerfe, watching the doc, I don’t think he ever made the connection, but by what he was saying, I put 2 and 2 together.

18. rothpoetry says:

The hard livin life of a a rocker for sure! Great till the last clump of dirt hit the casket!

That is really good Lisa. You pulled that together really well.

Max, thank you. I tried to do him justice in a respectful way.

You did…you told the truth but not brutally. You told it better than he would have.

20. hank77 says:

kaykuala

What a rich life to experience and to be blessed to 80. Fantastic right for him to relate all the goodness Jade! Great narration!

Hank

Hank, much thanks. Yes, I think so too with Mr. Baker.

21. rivrvlogr says:

Kudos for seeing life through the eyes of another. Well done, Lisa.

Thank you, Ken. Seems like Ginger got a bad rap a lot of the time, most of which he probably deserved, but no matter how rotten a person can be there is always good there too. Seems like a lot of those who were interviewed in the doc were either scared of him or not being sincere. That hurt to observe.

22. lifelessons says:

I, too, thought he had written it. Well done.

Thanks, Judy.

23. Lona Gynt says:

My sweetheart is a drummer, when she pats my back it exudes rhythmic competence and joy, I asked her what type of drum I am, and she told me, “baby you’re the whole kit.” We are listening to Toad you posted while I read her your poem. She comments that it is so sad that the music industry has exposed so many to addictions, she says many take it just to go to sleep, or to stay awake and it is readily available. Baker is incredible, and your poem dances incredibly when read along to Toad. Thank you Lisa for teaching more about him, all the explosions, the stress, the wars, the loss, the cautionary tale “it’s what you say not what you do.” pounding out in joy to us. What is more spiritual than a person anyway. Here is wishing us all some sunshine of love.

Your and your sweetheart’s comments give me such happiness, that you feel Ginger in the words. Listening to Toad while reading the poem is an excellent idea and will try it. Lona, you are “the whole kit” and glad you found your drummer ❤ ❤

24. Imelda says:

Ah, your poem is a joy to read. It is all at once delightful, sad, and informative. Well done.

Imelda, thank you and so glad you enjoyed the poem.

25. You caught Gingers vibe. I feel like I knew the guy. His music has been around me for a long time and I always revisit GB. I always feel like smoking when I see and hear him.

CB I enjoy your comment very much. Interesting about the smoking as you see and hear him. What do you think it means?

1. It mean that I still get cravings for tobacco and Ginger made it look so good. Not very deep TT

Hey it is what it is and I wasn’t necessarily asking deep, so there 🙂

1. I’m going to smoke a cigar, so there.