Haikai Challenge #149: Waterfall (taki)

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA
Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, MI, February 2020
Mid-winter’s silver
flows over rocks, under ice;
gravity-compelled,
defying temperature,
waterfall tinkles in snow.

It is in the 80’s here in MI. Looking for pictures of waterfalls, I came across the photo taken mid-winter and thought oh my, wouldn’t it be nice to cool off there right now. It is mid-winter in the Southern Hemisphere, so I hope this is appropriate for the prompt.

Frank J. Tassone is the host of Haikai Challenge.  Frank says:
Write the haikai poem of your choice (haiku, Senryu, haibun, Tanka, Haiga, renga, etc) that alludes to waterfall (taki)

1. A little ice in my vermouth would be pleasant 🙂 It’s been in the 90s here since forever it seems. I like the association of silver with tinkles.

Thank you, Jane, and an iced liquid refreshment sounds pretty good right now 🙂

2. Lucy says:

Absolutely lovely piece! I love the imagery with the silver of the winter and snow–that flows so well.

3. Jules says:

You reminded me of one winter… not long ago where the creek actually froze over – I didn’t chance walking across it, though my neighbor and his dog did!

Here’s cheer to cooling thoughts. Our outside reading… 101 F at around 3:30p!

Yes, there are always the brave ones walking on frozen bodies of water and chancing they don’t fall through. They even drive on the lake and take snowmobiles onto it. No thanks.
      Your mid-winter temp is 101F????? Oh dear.

1. Jules says:

No I’m in summer just like you… south PA!!

Oh right so sorry, your brown-eyed Susan had me mixing you up with Kate who lives in Australia. It might help if I looked at the name instead of the picture. Again, my apologies.

1. Jules says:

Mine’s full face, Kate’s is sort of profile. I asked her if I should change mine… but she said to leave it. …no worries 😉

I will check better from now on, promise ❤

Still, 101 is nothing to sneeze at!

1. Jules says:

It might not be that hot… the gauge is in the attic. Hoping the storm due Tuesday arrives earlier…

Oh I hope so also. This heat is oppressive. I love the sunshine though. I filled the bird bath yesterday, and today when I went out there it was almost empty. First time that happened in just a day.

1. Jules says:

I don’t have a bird bath… since the creek it right there… a relative has a birdbath that has a heater in it for the winter.

We had a heated waterer for our chickens in winter when we had them.

I would love to visit V this place right now.

5. I love the line, “mid-winter’s silver.” I grew up in Wisconsin and I remember how hard the ice would freeze. ❤

Thank you very much, Colleen. Ah, Wisconsin, MI’s western neighbor. It’s probably even colder there than here, as the lake tempers what they send us.

1. It sure used to be! I live in Arizona now, in the sweltering heat! LOL! A pleasure to take a dip into your poetry to cool off for a bit. Great photo!

Sorry for the late reply, I found your comment in spam folder. Ah! I can see why an ice waterfall would seem good in AZ right now. Thank you for reading and your comment 🙂

1. You’re so welcome. I hope to jump into these challenges more often. ❤️

Great, Colleen!

Good imagery Lisa…I really like the first line.

Thank you, Max.

7. judeitakali says:

I love your verse, it’s beautiful

Thank you, Jude. It was a very nice walk in the garden and sculpture park in winter. Now the whole thing is shut down because of COVID-19 😦

1. judeitakali says:

Oh no. It’ll be that much better when opened again

You’re right. They have a stand of cherry trees there that I had planned on seeing in blossom this past spring.

I was thinking exactly the same thing as you…the cold would be welcome right about now. Winter does often seem silver to me. (K)

Silver is a color reserved for rings, moonlight, and winter water…

Most of my jewelry is silver, although I have worn nothing but the same tiny earrings for months. It somehow feels wrong to put anything on. Strange.

My rings are all silver. I don’t like gold and nickel makes me break out. Never wear my rings in the house unless visitors come over, which is never these days. I stopped wearing earrings many moons ago. I do wear necklaces.

9. Just Barry says:

I like the “Mid-winter’s silver” line… chilly and poetic.

10. Nothing wrong with a winter waterfall! Thanks for giving props to the Southern Equator readers! 😉

11. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #2: Jade Li’s latest #tanka for my current #haikai challenge!

12. -Eugenia says:

Lovely and refreshing since it is hot in my neck of the woods.

Glad to have refreshed you, Eugi 🙂