#MM Music Challenge — “Your Best American Girl,” by Mitski

New MM Music Badge

Jim Adams is the every-other-Friday, music-loving host of Mindlovemisery Menagerie’s Music Challenge.  Jim says:
The challenge today is to focus on [Smooth Operator, by Sade] and use it for a short story, a piece of flash fiction, or a poem that you can share with the WordPress writing community.

When I thought about songs with players in them, my mind went to Mitski’s, “Your Best American Girl,” which I gave info on last year, here.  The player depicted in this video is the worst kind, because he goes for the long con.  It’s not enough to just charm his way into knocking off a little piece, he wants to emotionally devastate his target.

What I love best about this video is how Mitski uses the pain to be creative, to not let it destroy her, and to make songs and videos to share with others who have been hurt by the long con players.

1. great song Li, thanks for sharing it. Using pain to be creative is a powerful concept. There is way too much tongue licking in this video and why does she keep licking her hand?

She’s learning to love herself, silly. I want that guy under my Christmas tree this December.

I really like her voice on this…the echo is perfect and it helps make her voice even stronger.

My big question is why the hell is she backstage? Put Tina backstage and let Lynn be beside David singing. Let’s be real here. That’s the same thing they did with Joni Mitchell in The Last Waltz. Uncool!

Yea why did they do that? Here is where I got the info

Ah! I didn’t see that article. It is a heck of a concert and one I want to get on DVD at some point.

Oops I thought we were still talking about the Talking Heads. lol. my bad.

Yes, Mitski has a very strong voice. Not sure what the echo is, but it works.

That reverb…sorry I notice things like that…It’s like Springsteens voice in Glory Days… It’s hard to type what I mean but… if I said “That” it would be That-That really quick. It really makes a voice sound strong. I’m a sound geek

oh ok. Above my area of knowledge to articulate with any terms.

Sorry! Like I said…I love sound. That is why I have some left field comments lol.

3. pvcann says:

Yes, to love is to invert, transform the process, the moment, powerful stuff.

Thank you for your insightful comment, Paul.

1. pvcann says: