#FFFC 76 — War Wounds

on
2ADF168F-E8E7-4FCC-9BB8-6B23611FAAF6
The image is from Huong Lan Nguyen at Pexels.com.

After the war left, memories of those now gone remained. Not only the dozens she knew and loved who were killed or died, but the dismembered and maggot-chewed corpses lining ditches wherever she walked.

In the light of day they receded into the mists under the shadows of trees. But as the sun followed its path beyond the edge of the horizon, they returned, ever bolder. She felt naked and helpless to keep them away, and reality followed her belief.

Soon she was inert, catatonic, and surrounded by the gauze of the unsettled dead.

FFFC

Fandango is the host of Fandango’s Flash Fiction Challenge.

A moving and dark story

Thank you, Sadje. It’s what I saw 😦

You’re welcome Li.

2. Maggot-chewed corpses, you really went to the dark side on this one Li.

I feel like I was traumatized after watching Hacksaw Ridge last week, as there was that and more in it. War is the dark side, Jim.

1. theresaly520 says:

Hacksaw Ridge was such a gripping tale.

Thank you, Paula.

That is dark…really shell shocked so to speak.

4. Fandango says:

I imagine that those who have survived the ravages of war on their home soil must go through similar anxieties as your protagonist. I hope such devastation doesn’t come to America after the November election.

I hear you, Fandango.

5. Chris Hall says:

Wow, Li! So much horror and emotion tied up in those few paragraphs. Powerful stuff and superb writing.

Chris, thank you. I watched a really graphic war movie, Hacksaw Ridge, last week, and it’s been tough getting those images out of my head.

1. Chris Hall says:

Same as the way I feel having just finished ‘The Testaments’ by Margaret Atwood, I suspect.

Haven’t heard of that. Is it a book? I’ve read a couple of hers and know she can get under your skin. And of course watched The Handmaid’s Tale.

1. Chris Hall says:

Yes, it’s a book. it’s the sequel to The Handmaid’s Tale. It is really, really good. Highly recommended! If you’ve enjoyed other books of hers, I’m sure you’ll enjoy this one. Not necessarily an easy read, as you might imagine having seen the series, but well worth it. I’ve described it as the best book I’ve read this decade.

Chris, I read The Handmaid’s Tale years ago and saw the series. Have read at least one other of her books. I will add it to my to-read list and check it out when the time is right. As much as you read, I know it has to be awesome for you to give it that kind of endorsement.

Hard to escape them, once you have seen. (K)