The Classic editing experience is moving, not leaving — The WordPress.com Blog

In case you didn’t see it, this was in my feed today:

With the introduction of the Block editor, the WordPress.com Classic Editor was set for retirement at the beginning of June. We pushed that back a bit to make time for more changes that ease the transition to the Block editor — and now it’s time! With the new and improved Classic block, you have the […]

via The Classic editing experience is moving, not leaving — The WordPress.com Blog

1. WTF they should just leave well enough alone.

I know I’m dreading the email 😦

2. Aphoristical says:

It took me a wee while to adjust, but I actually like the blocks. Lots more options and flexibility.

Thanks for the encouragement, Graham. I will have to adjust but not happy about having my choice taken away.

Why do they mess up something that’s working fine.

3. Thanks, I switched to blocks a while ago. I can’t necessarily say I find it better than “classic”, but I guess it’s all about getting used to it. Now I do find it kind of funny to look at my old “classic” posts! 🙂

Oh my. Something to look forward to 😉

I’ve done both but I still like the classic…it’s much easier and quicker and has everything I want.

I feel like doom is hanging over our heads with this change. Why can’t they leave it alone.

I know…I know this is reaching deep but dang…we need something consistent in our life right now. We have had enough change.

5. Fandango says:

Thanks for sharing this, Li. All I can say is “ugh.”

The thing I hate most about posts done in block editing is that they don’t read well on a tablet or phone. Content always gets cut off or is awkwardly placed.
    This is a major problem, and the fact that they instituted this change without first fixing it just shows that their tech people don’t know what they are doing. I have not been switched over yet but I anticipate similar problems, even with “classic” block. People I know who do programming always say you have to make sure what you do reads well across all media. (K)

Excellent point, K. It does need to read well across all media. Tablets and phones are the preferred device of many, and if they can’t read posts well on them, they might just stop reading altogether and choose another platform to use for blogging and reading, etc.