#Haikai Challenge #156: new coolness (shinryoo)

Bird Photograph - Wild Turkey Family by Travis Boyd

Mama leads five jakes
Dawdled pecking crosst the road
Papa follows, lookout
Autumn’s new coolness arrives
Warm feathered huddles in night trees

This morning on my trip to the library, I waited and watched a family of turkeys crossing the road. It seems a little late for jakes, but what do I know.

Note: Adult male turkeys are called toms and females are called hens. Very young birds are poults and adolescents are called jakes. This information was gleaned from a website with other interesting facts about wild turkeys. If you want to know more, go here.

Image is “Wild Turkey Family” by Travis Boyd

Frank J. Tassone is the host of Haikai Challenge.  Frank says:
This week, write the haikai poem of your choice (haiku, senryu, haibun, tanka, haiga, renga, etc.) that alludes to new coolness (shinryoo).

1. rothpoetry says:

Love the turkeys Lisa. I learned something new. I had not heard of Jakes before! Very interesting. Love the poeml!

Thanks, Dwight, glad you enjoyed it. So glad that many drag-racing tourists have vamoosed, so the critters can move around more safely.

1. rothpoetry says:

Ha Ha! Sadly I still saw a hawk got hit on our road a couple of weeks ago.

You’ve got the perfect image for your poem.

I should have snapped a picture with my phone this morning but I was in a hurry to get to the library.

This works well.

Thank you, Sadje.

You’re welcome

Well I read blogs to learn something…and I did…poults and Jakes.

4. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #3: Jade Li’s latest #tanka for my current #Haikai Challenge!

5. What a very cool thing to see! I had no idea that the young were called Jakes. I learn something wonderful every day ☺️ Lovely Lisa

Many thanks, Christine 🙂

6. -Eugenia says:

Wow! Learn something new every day! Love your poem and the image.

7. Dave says:

Nice! Lovely haiku and great photo, and bit of new knowledge (never heard young one called ‘Jakes’, but then again don’t think I’ve heard to young turkeys being directly referred to before).
    Where I grew up in Ontario, they were native but were hunted into oblivion in the 19th Century but were reintroduced and are now doing quite well in farm areas and even some suburbs… nice to see.

Thanks, Dave. This area must suit the turkeys because they are frequently seen crossing the road in groups. Last spring a lone turkey started hanging out around the bird feeder. I have to wonder if that turkey was one of the parents.

1. Dave says:

Cool! Haven’t heard of them coming to feeders, but I guess it’s not a surprise. What do they prefer – corn?

The only food in the feeders are oiler sunflower seeds and woodpecker blend suet cakes. Not sure what they are pecking at…