dVerse — Poetics 428 — November

transformations.

Somber rust sets in.
Creaking joints loosen
as naked trees dance
in the diminishing sun.
Summer’s been put away.
Life huddles in shivered gloom —
but it is far from done.

Image:  “November,” by John Atkinson Grimshaw.   John Atkinson Grimshaw (1836 – 1893) was a Victorian-era painter, notable for his landscapes, usually known as Atkinson Grimshaw.  He was born 6 September 1836 in Leeds. In 1856 he married his cousin Frances Hubbard (1835-1917). He died 13 October 1893, and is buried in Woodhouse cemetery, Leeds.

Sanaa is today’s host of dVerse.  Sanaa says:
For today’s Poetics, I would like you to write a poem about November and tell us what it means to you. I aim for this prompt to be wide in scope. You can discuss what this month reminds you of, political or non-political. It can be a seasonal poem if you like. You can also use a painting for inspiration or perhaps a song. There are so many! As long as you stick to the parameters of the prompt, you are fine.

1. This is a beautiful poem, Lisa. You nailed it! And the Guns & Roses song is a perfect complement. 🙂

Why thank you 🙂

2. I love that song.. and you picture all the images of November, including those dear deers nibling the lilies… the sounds are great in this poem

Bjorn, thank you very much. I continue to learn from the many wonderful poets at the pub.

3. Lucy says:

How mesmerizing, Lisa. I’m amazed by this poem, specifically these lines:

“Somber rust sets in.
    Creaking joints loosen
    as naked trees dance”

Perfect scenery of November. And such a great song to include. ❤ ❤

🙂 Thank you!

4. sanaarizvi says:

A brilliant artist of his time and beyond .. John Atkinson Grimshaw! I find his work to be most compelling .. the use of brushstroke .. color and the moodiness of the theme.. especially in this painting is wondrous! You give November a whole new definition with this poem, Lisa. Love it! 💝

Sanaa, so glad you like his work. He’s got quite a portfolio of offerings to enjoy. Thank you for the lovely comment 🙂

5. calmkate says:

love how you’ve woven words and critters to really give me a feeling of the vast contrast between seasons there! Perfect song …

Many thanks, Kate. It’s been awhile since I watched that video and it fits the mood so well.

1. calmkate says:

for sure, well done Lisa!

6. Ron. says:

Awesome! I love that spent froggy, burrowing in, and EVERYTHING ELSE about this poem. Well done, Lisa.

🙂 Ron, thank you!

7. The last stanza is simple sublime! It’s all beautifully expressed and resonated deeply. 🙏

8. Right? Shouldn’t new years be in November, for as your poem elucidates, something is ending but thinking of beginnings in burrowed sleep dreams. (And it might be a good time for a party. The days are getting shorter.) Your poem pairs so well with the Grimshaw painting. This Guns n Roses song totally new to me, but there it is again- nothing lasts forever, and November can really show that.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, D!

9. Grace says:

All gloomy sky – that is November for your. I specially love this part:

Somber rust sets in.
    Creaking joints loosen
    as naked trees dance
    in the diminishing sun.

Fantastic imagery Li

You’re welcome 😉

11. Ingrid says:

Indeed, life is not done, whatever challenges we face! Beautifully put. I love the image, this reminded me of walking midnight streets with my husband when we first met, around this time of year – I had forgotten that!

Happy it brought back good memories, thanks!

12. kim881 says:

Your words are steeped in November colours and chills, Lisa. It is a time when we cling to memories or warmer nights, although I do love snuggling down in the warmth of my bed on a November night, a kind of mini-hibernation, like the animals in the middle stanzas of your poem. I particularly enjoyed ‘Somber rust sets in’ and the ominous:
    ‘Life huddles in shivered gloom —
    but it is far from done.’

🙂 Thank you, Kim.

November is a settling in. You’ve caught the restlessness, underneath. (K)

Thank you, K. Glad it came through.

14. rothpoetry says:

Love the art piece to accompany your beautiful poem. This was a great image for me…
    Somber rust sets in.
    Creaking joints loosen
    as naked trees dance
    in the diminishing sun.

Many thanks, Dwight. I’m hoping to do some more collage now that the stuff is pulled out. Glad you liked that part of the poem. They sure were dancing yesterday!

15. So good! I love these lines: “Creaking joints loosen, as naked trees dance” and the ending “it is far from done.” I feel all the movement and falling away of November in your words. It is a dance!

Tricia, yes! I like your characterization.

16. Beverly Crawford says:

Yes, summer’s been put away, but autumn is clinging here before winter truly takes hold.

17. Dave says:

Nicely written, capture the sense and specialness of the month. November contains my birthday, and my Dad’s (which gets more special to me as he gets on up there in years) but has never been a month I much cared for all in all. Of course, my experience growing up in Ontario would be similar to Michigan…dark days, cold weather but seldom real winter nor the bounty of winter birds to enjoy yet, fall colors gone, stores getting crowded, colds and flu setting in… Down here, not my fave month either but weather’s quite hospitable and what little fall color we see south of the 30th parallel starts to shine the brightest.

Glad you liked the poem and thanks for the comparisons between Ontario and TX. I’m imagining it is nice in TX right now weatherwise.

18. Dora says:

All the sensations of November felt here and transmuted to poetic “somber rust” — beautifully done, Lisa! I feel like the furry critters longing for spring already 🙂

🙂 I saw a furry caterpillar heading towards the road the other day when checking the mailbox. I put a piece of mail in front of fuzzy and transported the critter to a sheltered spot in the yard.

1. Dora says:

I hereby dub you the Champion of Fuzzy Furries ❤️

19. What a beautiful poem Lisa. Love the song too.

Thank you, Linda.

20. Helen Dehner says:

For those non-November fans …. this poem will create a total turn-around. Brava.

Why thank you very much, Helen. Happy to hear you say so.

21. willedare says:

I like your blog post and also he comments afterwards. Fascinating to see what parts of your lovely poem resonate with different people. My favorite stanza is

“Spent frogs, turtles,
    and furry crawlers
    dig or weave beds,
    hoping for pleasant
    dreams of new songs,
    minnows, and spring
    transformations.”

There are a lot of spent frogs where I live in MA — and some of them are human. Let us rest and dream of spring transformations…

Thank you very much, Will. Yes!