#FF — Taste of Heaven

PHOTO PROMPT © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Dawn-to-dusk they nurture the orchard. The trees give them life by their fruit. Billi and the rest are rotated one day a week to sell their pomegranate products.

Three at a time they go, loading the truck before dawn then filling the stand with cool freshness. City people appreciate them but often take them for granted. Many times customers haggle over prices; but there is no room to haggle if the farm and its laborers are to continue.

Billi, Jer, and Ona enjoy morning shade and small talk. By ten, the queue is long for a taste of heaven.

[99 words]

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields is the energetic host of Friday Fictioneers.

1. Lovely! Indeed, too many times people don’t realize the small margin of profit that food carts operate on, and haggling is just … well … never mind. 🙂

Thank you, Na’ama, so glad you “get it.” I read a good portion of a book called, “Four Seasons in Five Senses,” by David Masumoto, a CA peach grower, and it made a big impact on my perceptions.

2. neilmacdon says:

The logic of markets is that we’re materially interdependent but psychically indifferent to each other. You express the plight well

Thank you, Neil. Interesting insight.

3. Dora says:

Oh wow! I’m longing for a glass of pomegranate juice. *sigh* Thank you for inspiring this sudden craving with your brilliantly evocative writing.😅

Now you’re making me thirsty for it! 😉 Thanks, Dora.

4. When we lived in Indonesia and had a friend visit who liked to bargain with vendors in the market. I remember one of the vendors laughing then responding, “Look, I don’t own a mansion.” Beautifully written story.

Exactly, Brenda. Glad you have a real-life story to tell. Thank you very much.

🙂 Thank you, Sadje.

You’re welcome

5. Iain Kelly says:

Too often people look for the cheap option without considering the effect that might cause to workers – be they fruit pickers or clothes makers. Well done.

Thank you, Iain, yes. “McCulture Mindset” hurts a lot of people.

Few people realize the work that goes into any family business, or any creative endeavor that needs skill and patience. Mass production has devalued the worker. We need to consume less, and pay people a living wage for what they do. (K)

That is a tough life with no room for slip ups.

8. Dale says:

People have been taught to haggle when on vacation – oh, they prefer that you do! I think not…
    Well done splice of the touristic life from the other side.

1. pennygadd51 says:

I think it depends where you’re holidaying and what you’re trying to buy. I remember in Greece my son was thinking of buying a watch from a street vendor. My son was refusing to haggle, and was eventually dismissed by the vendor with the words, “You go shopping like a girl!” But I would never haggle in a Greek produce market – and they’re such good value anyway!

1. Dale says:

Yes, I agree. It all depends on where. 🙂 Shop like a girl… hmph!

Penny that makes sense, not a blanket rule nor faux pas. My mom taught me to haggle at yard sales and now it’s difficult not to when I go to them — which it’s been years now, as I already have enough junk! — but I would never haggle over fresh produce. As someone said already, I’ve seen the labor that goes into it from trying a home garden and have known a few farmers and know how hard they work.

9. ceayr says:

This reminded me of Monty Python: He won’t haggle!
    You make a valid point, but too often in tourist traps the prices are inflated to allow room for negotiation.

I don’t remember the Monty Python episode but not surprising they would turn it into something funny. Not being a world traveler I can’t argue.

10. Dear Lisa,

A well told slice of life. Made me thirsty. There are times to haggle and times not to haggle. I think when it comes to edible and drinkable items it’s time to pay the given price.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Rochelle, thank you very much, and I agree.
      Shalom,
      Lisa

11. By the sound of that queue, they’ve got it priced about right! Haggle not folks!

🙂 Good point, Keith!

12. draliman says:

That sounds like a hard but rewarding life.

Agreed, Ali. I bet those quiet mornings there in the shade are probably most rewarding of all.

13. granonine says:

Farmers, whatever their products are, deserve our respect and appreciation. We’d be in a fine mess without them! Enjoyable story 🙂

Indeed, Linda! Thank you.

14. bearmkwa says:

A beautiful scene, here. Almost leaves me wanting some Pom juice. Not my favorite drink by far.

Thank you. I like it blended but not usually able to afford it.

15. plaridel says:

a well-crafted story. words flow smoothly. simply, one of your best.

🙂 Thank you very much, Plaridel.

16. James McEwan says:

It is so true that people do not appreciate the work and dedication it takes to bring the fruit to market.

17. Sandra says:

I never haggle. It’s unseemly I think, though I know it’s the stuff of life to some. A thoughtful tale, enjoyed it.

Thank you, Sandra!

18. Well done, Lisa! I hated the idea of haggling in Mexico. I felt like: just give me the fair price and I’ll pay it.

19. magarisa says:

Farmers and farm laborers have physically demanding jobs that provide us all with food. I couldn’t bring myself to haggle over their prices! Even growing a few vegetables as a hobby is hard work (in my opinion).
    Well-written and thought-provoking, Li.

Thank you much, Magarisa. I hear you.

1. magarisa says:

You’re welcome.

20. pennygadd51 says:

A nice slice of life. Freshly squeezed fruit juice really is a joy!

Thanks, Penny! It is!

21. Dave says:

Nice photo and nice, concise little story or story-ette. Well done!

Thank you, Dave! Friday Fictioneers is a great group of flash fiction writers. Each week we all write to the same photo, and the photo is usually one that has been taken by one of the group. This one was taken by our fearless leader, Rochelle. If you have ever thought about writing flash fiction, this is the place to do it.