dVerse — OLN 281 — Come early

Sure and His Was a Wonderful Life: Part II

Oh how I wish St. Patrick’s Day came early this year.
We could pack dried shamrocks into our pipes
and invoke his spirit to return for a special favor.
If we asked nicely, would he drive the snake from
the capitol that sits on a swamp? Maybe, if we
promised to be real good and played nice, he
would drive the nest of vipers out and into the sea.

Archaeologists say that St. Patrick never drove
snakes from Ireland as there never were any.
They would say that wouldn’t they.

ย

Sanaa is today’s host for dVerse’ Open Link Night.ย

image link here

1. sanaarizvi says:

A most splendid and light-hearted verse that sheds light on recent events, Lisa! I was appalled when I heard about it on the news. I am glad Congress certified Biden victory!!! ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’

Thank you, Sanaa!

2. calmkate says:

echoes my thoughts on the matter, but that final denial ….

3. Ingrid says:

Oh, yes please: let’s have a full-scale snake cleansing! I love the drawing, that really appeals to my sense of humour. Now we need to get rid of the snake-in-chief before he causes any more chaos!

4. Ron. says:

I’m not sure Patrick even had a driver’s license…
    Love your blend of history and current events. Very cool work.

5. This made me smile. I love that dead pan humour. It’s almost…British ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad you enjoyed it, Jane ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Anonymous says:

Perfect. I’m sure the history of Trump’s horror show will be rewritten and sanitized as well. But we will remember. (K)

6. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

You never cease to amaze me. Your poetry comes in all colors and flavors. You are never pinned down by just one style. Your imagination has fifty-foot wings. Tackling a pit viper like tRump with Irish levity is wonderful.

:::blushing::: Thanks, Glenn and glad you connect with my poetry.

7. Good one, Lisa! I appreciate the light-hearted writing. You are such a versatile writer!

Glad you like it and thanks!

8. Colorful artwork and prose! Maybe he will get the boot here soon enough. Seems everyone wants the snakes exterminated. ๐Ÿคž

9. -Eugenia says:

This is so clever and I love the artwork! Awesome piece!

๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!

10. Xan says:

Your ending line has me roflmao which I think we all really really need right now

So happy to hear it and yes we do!

11. M Jay Dixit says:

That’s a great one, had me laughing there at the end! I also like the new format, very readable and beautiful.

Thanks much, Jay, and glad you like the new format ๐Ÿ™‚

Very apt for whatโ€™s happening now.

13. kim881 says:

Youโ€™re such a versatile poet, Lisa, and are not afraid to try something new, including political satire! We need someone to drive that fascist maniac from the capitol, and a saint would fit the bill nicely. Sadly, Saint Nicolas wasnโ€™t up to it. Patrick is next on the list.

14. this is such clever commentary. it’s interesting, it’s witty, and it’s on point.

loved it.

-David

15. lifelessons says:

Ha. Perhaps our prayers have been answered and the snakes have driven themselves out of (ahem) Ireland?

You probably saw the petition circulating to remove every congressperson who supported the objection? I really hope it happens!

1. lifelessons says:

I haven’t. I’d sign it in a flash but doubt that it’s possible.

1. lifelessons says:

Thanks, Lisa. I signed and posted it on Facebook and Twitter.

Cool, glad you did ๐Ÿ™‚

16. robtkistner says:

I am quietly listening to jazz while reading poetry today. Two of my top three favorite things to do. This put a fire in my heart, and a smile on my face Lisa. Excellent piece! I am hoping we can cancel that call to St.Patrick. The snakes may be departing โ€” at least the current nest. Sounds like you got some magical shamrocks… ๐Ÿ™‚

Rob I love your comment. Music and poetry go hand in hand I think.

17. This snake can’t be gone soon enough.