dVerse — Poetics 437 and OLN — Plugged in and Charged

Tableaux Vivants & Body Painting - Studio

The average human, at rest, produces around 100 watts of power.
Over periods of a few minutes, humans can comfortably sustain 300-400 watts;
and in the case of very short bursts of energy, such as sprinting,
some humans can output over 2,000 watts.
Stanford University

At rest, we can power a hundred-watt light bulb.
With little exertion, we can power a blender.
When we push it, we can power a stove.
We are beings of catalyzed light energy.

Sol’s battery beams down on every thing.
As plants power us we power them.
Likewise we power each other
as energy beams into linked circuits.

I feel the circuits, like a leaf’s capillaries
must feel while waiting for sunrise.
I plug into the familiar, at rest,
reading instructions, while craving
a cherry-banana smoothie and
a steaming exotic spicy entree.

I was looking for a good song to go with this and happened across one that fits perfectly.

image:  “Gold Circuit Girl” body makeup, credit sequence James Bond film, “Tomorrow Never Dies,”
by Timna Woollard Studio. (Tableaux Vivants & Body Painting)

Merril is today’s host of dVerse’ Poetics.  Merril says:
For this prompt, I want you to think about connecting or connections—in any sense. It could be connecting ideas, connecting historical moments, or your own connections with people, places, nature, or art.

Sanaa is the host of dVerse Open Link Night, which is a live reading.
Because I missed writing Tuesday, I’m linking this to both nights.

1. sanaarizvi says:

“I feel the circuits, like a leaf’s capillaries must feel while waiting for sunrise,”… this is so deeply poignant! 💝

1. sanaarizvi says:

You’re most welcome! 💝

2. hypercryptical says:

I echo Sanaa’s comment – beautiful words.
    Anna :o]

Thank you much, Anna.

3. “Likewise we power each other” — Yes.

4. Ron. says:

I felt quite charged up hearing this one, Lisa and am now totally re-energized seeing it on screen. YOWZA good. Thanks for sharing.

YAY! Glad you were charged up and re-energized by it. I am every time we have a live reading.

5. Beverly Crawford says:

Aw shucks. I’m all charged up and pining for a smoothie now!

🙂 It does sound good doesn’t it!

6. Helen Dehner says:

What a treat listening to you read this afternoon … fascinating poetry!

Helen, thank you very much, it was a joy to share live dverse today with the pubfolk who were there. I enjoyed hearing you read your poem and wish I could have seen a closeup of the masks your son made for you ❤

The closing was wonderful… a cherry-banana smoothie and
    a steaming exotic spicy entree.

I didn’t know about the watts. That is really cool

Max, the prompt was on connections, and my brain immediately went to electricity, so I went searching for the human watts info. I’m glad you enjoyed that ending. I’m tired of sitting here in light bulb mode!!!!!!!

We need recharging by the a cherry-banana smoothie and a steaming exotic spicy entree.

I never thought of that but I have read where…and this is out of left field that Keith Moon produced more energy on one night that lumberjacks do in a week…that was a bored scientist who figured that out.

I can believe that about Moon, he could have powered a city with that energy!

He really could have…that is why its hard to duplicate him if not impossible.
            I think you will like the interview Lisa…it’s all done and at the bottom of it I put a line to a post he made expanding on the last answer he gave…so if you want to ask him anything else go right ahead…he wanted me to tell everyone that.

8. robtkistner says:

This was fun, informative, and fascinating — and I enjoyed your reading today Lisa. Thank you!

Rob I had a blast with this one and was hoping that came across ok.

9. rothpoetry says:

I love this most interesting enlightening piece (no pun intended). I can tell i am charged when the pain hits my wrist from too much typing. What and ingenious way to learn the laws… sing them and remember them for ever! just like an Alka-Seltzer commercial jingle.

Thank you very much and I thought the same thing about the video. Making learning fun for science/electrician studens.

What fantastic idea! Charged and capable of charging.

11. calmkate says:

wow Lisa I always knew we were powerhouses now you’ve shared the stats on that!

Some batteries are a bit flat lately but when those sun rays hit them they will spark up, I hope 🙂

12. Ali Grimshaw says:

What a fun and energizing topic. I liked the creativity of this.

13. Ingrid says:

This is such an original and positive poem!
    ‘We are beings of catalyzed light energy.’
    A strong message and one to lift us out of dark times 🙂

So happy to hear you were uplifted by it. I really think those joined circuits help amplify the light.

14. Good poem and yummy 🙂

the concept also made me think of the Matrix movie!

Yours,
    David

I think I’m on a running theme lately. Thanks, David.

This has really got me thinking. I don’t feel like a bundle of energy, but once again my perceptions are too narrow. (K)

Anything that charges up the lightbulb is a good thing 🙂

16. What an intriguing idea! Makes me feel better about sitting around ‘creating’!

Yes it is 🙂 I love the idea of sharing circuits with others and amplifying the wattage.

1. It’s a great idea! Could be dangerous in the wrong hands though.

17. Colleen@ LOOSELEAFNOTES says:

Where’s my plug? When I sit in the sun I always feel like a solar voltaic storing energy.

Me too, Colleen!

18. Loved the line, “When we push it, we can power a stove” — I got this image of a person really hunkering down to bake a cake, lol. /peace, Jason

Glad it gave you a visual, Jason. Thank you.

19. judeitakali says:

Very intriguing outlook Jade. Interesting as well

Thank you, Jude!

20. kim881 says:

Apologies for reading and commenting late, but after the live OLN, I was so tired, and we had the electrician in yesterday to sort out the heating – there is still none in the study or dining room! Your poem fits my situation this morning, Lisa – I need to power a stove in my study! I love the thought of sharing all that catalyzed light energy and the mutual powering with plants.

Lovely comment, Kim, many thanks. Hoping they get the study and dining room sorted soon for you.

21. Chris Hall says:

Love the combination of the words and music, Li 🙂

22. merrildsmith says:

A lovely take on connections–and the science behind it.
    I enjoyed hearing you read this, too–another type of connection.