dVerse — MTB 231 — White tiger

Tiger Watercolor Tiger Art Tiger Painting Tiger Decor Cat | Etsy

Three white tigers and a bear followed me in
after my sworn protector left for reasons unknown.
One tiger stood before me in sleek striped majesty.
Two with contrasting modes: my terror; her hunger.
Her instinct to kill vs. my instinct to survive.
Using tiger talk to distract all until able to steel my
nerve and my fist, I shoved my fist into her mouth.
I grabbed what else I could and shoved it in also.
Placated for the moment, she gave me a chance
to glance out of my window. I saw a figure in
the distance. Opening the window I yelled help,
back’s skin crawling, waiting for death’s claws.
The rescuer rushed in. I quickly said, “Please
don’t hurt the animals.” [Dream sequence end.]

Today’s poem is based on a dream I had in mid-December. Sorting through papers on the table, I came across it yesterday. I usually don’t like looking at standard dream interpretation databases but to expedite this I did.

Dreammoods.com say about protection: To dream that you are being protected or need protection indicates that you are feeling helpless in some situation. Life’s difficulties has made you dependable on others. You need to start taking charge of the situation.

About tigers: To see a tiger in your dream represents power and your ability to exert it in various situations. The dream may also indicate that you need to take more of a leadership role. Alternatively, the tiger represents female sexuality, aggression, and seduction. In particular, if you dream of a white tiger, then it indicates that a state of tranquility. Despite whatever chaos is surrounding you, you are able to block it out and achieve peace with yourself. Alternatively, a white tiger symbolizes restraint. You are in full control of your emotions and your actions.To dream that you are attacked by a tiger refers to the emotions that you have repressed because you were afraid of confronting them.

About bears: To see a bear in your dream represents independence, strength, death and renewal, and/or resurrection. Bears are symbolic of the cycle of life. You may also be undergoing a period of introspection and thinking. The dream may also be a pun on “bare”. Perhaps you need to bare your soul and let everything out into the open. Or there is a situation where you just need to “grin and bear it”.To dream that you are being pursued or attacked by a bear denotes anger and uncontrolled aggression. You feel trapped. Perhaps you are in a threatening situation, some overwhelming obstacle or domineering and possessive relationship.

About rescue: To dream that you are being rescued or rescue others represents an aspect of yourself that has been neglected or ignored. You are trying to find a way to express this neglected part of yourself. Alternatively, it symbolizes an subconscious cry for help. Perhaps you are too proud in your waking life to ask for assistance.

There’s also a lengthy part about what windows symbolize.

image link here

Peter Frankis is today’s host at dVerse‘ Meet the Bar. Peter says:
So, come on poets, join me at the beginning. Let’s find that best first line:
•see if you can hook yourself a new reader with vivid images and unusual word use
•maybe stick with tradition (starting top left) or forge out in a new direction, maybe even a one line, or even a one-word poem (though please read the wonderful article that I’ve linked to Saroyan’s poem)
•perhaps try your hand at some found poetry, make something shapely or striking or something off the fridge
•or perhaps a poem beginning with a line by a poet who’s provoked or enthralled or charmed or annoyed you (don’t forget to link to the original poem in your post).

1. I love how you started in the world of dreams, and this one seems to have been very vivid… love the first line and how the protector came back in the end (maybe the protector is the real world)

Thanks, Bjorn! May be!

2. sanaarizvi says:

This is incredibly vivid in its portrayal of dreams and their respective interpretations, Lisa! 💝💝 The poem reminds me that one should always pay heed to signs, omens and instinct 🙂

Thanks, Sanaa/ I’ve been studying dreams for a couple of years now. As one suenadora says, “dreams are messages from home.” I believe they are!

3. merrildsmith says:

Wow–so cool. I was reading it and wondering if it was a dream. I love how you wanted to protect yourself while not hurting the tigers.

(I had a dream last night that was full of animals. ) 😀

Thanks, Merril! Cool on the animals dream.

1. merrildsmith says:

You’re welcome.

4. Laughing here – what a great dream – and a great first line – talk about getting the reader to read further into your work ! Tiger tiger burning bright in the forests of the night…definitely a Blakean dream.

I agree with you on Blakean!

1. fearful symmetry (but so exciting) 🙂

5. Beverly Crawford says:

A compelling dream, and interesting dream info. Thanks for broadening my knowledge!

Thanks, Beverly and you’re welcome.

6. Misky says:

This feels on the edge of a nightmare. I’d wake up in a sweat, I think! And that opening line is a “killer”.

Oh it was really terrifying! It ended much better than I thought it was going to at first. Thanks for reading and commenting, Misky.

The ending especially grabs at me. We must respect our animals without letting them destroy us. (K)

7. Wow. I really enjoyed the read, Lisa. And the dream info is most interesting. Nicely done!

Glad you found it interesting, Susan 🙂

8. Helen Dehner says:

This is fascinating … poem and notes! I keep a notepad next to my bed and often awaken after a dream … writing hoping I can read it come dawn.n

Very cool, Helen. Hoping you try to figure out what they mean.

9. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

The first couple of lines mAde me think Fantasy or Fable. It felt so very Asian to me. Our d’Verse work and study with Eastern forms rubs off it seems.

Glenn, I’ve been studying Eastern philosophy for awhile and some of the symbology as it presents itself (like these white tigers did.)

10. Three white tigers and a bear….
    You walked into a pub and found this great dreamy prosey-poem. It works! I’m inviting white tigers to my dreamscape tonight. The bear had a secondary role it seems.

Yes two of the tigers and the bear faded into the background once they got into the house.

11. Xan says:

You need to rework this for a prosery prompt somehow! The tension building and the unexpected ending!

haha! Yes, I have no idea where that last part came from! It’s one that needs to be pondered. If I can use it in either prosery or in Friday Fictioneers, I will. Did you contact Frank about the book??

12. Ali Grimshaw says:

Your first line captivated me and the pull to find out what happened next continued.
    I also thought the information from dreammoods was really interesting. I don’t usually like stories or poems that end up being a dream at the end but I really liked yours.
    It was a fun read. Maybe you were meant to find that piece of paper again?

May be, Ali. I usually put all dream sheets (aka whatever I had to write on at the time) in the same area but this one was an outlier. Thank you for reading and your comment 🙂

1. Ali Grimshaw says:

It was a wonderful share. Thank you.

Very interesting dream. And the fact that you remember the details so clearly.

It’s good to have paper and pen next to the bed to nab them quick.

14. rothpoetry says:

A great beginning line. It drew me in to see what was going to happen. Glad it was only a dream!

Thanks, Dwight, and yes!

15. What a vivid dream! It drew me in because your protector was gone and of course we have three white tigers and a bear so you are outnumbered, and I think this represents feeling overwhelmed. I have lots of detailed dreams as well and usually go with whatever emotion is strongest in my dreams to help decipher them. So you are overwhelmed and feel like you need help, but in the end you did manage quite well on your own. The ending makes me think there is perhaps guilt involved somewhere. Maybe you are trying to do too much in your life to help others and you cannot let go of that. You can’t let someone else take on some of the burden. That is my interpretation, let me know if I’m way off, haha!

I love what you see in the dream. The feeling throughout was terror, up until the very end, when the rescuer came. I hadn’t thought about guilt at the end but maybe that’s what it was/is.

1. Guilt or maybe not ready to let go of something as well. Dreams are interesting and fun to analyze!

I guess all dreams are full of symbolism…it’s an interesting subject.
    That was dream was dangerous and brave.

Yes they are, yes it is, and yes it was!

17. Lisa, your first line was, indeed, amazing, but your entire poem sucked me in from start to finish 😀

-David

David, thank you and glad you enjoyed it 🙂

18. Ingrid says:

This must have been a frightening dream, but perhaps enlightening too? It certainly drew me in from the first line onwards. I loved reading the dream interpretations too – lots to think about here.

Yes on all and I’m very much enjoying hearing others’ views on it. When I was in a dream group (before Covid struck!) we took turns deconstructing our dreams. It was very enlightening!

1. Ingrid says:

Oh that must have been! I am having some strange ones lately…

Write them down and pick them apart. If they are strange or extreme, a message is held within them for you.

1. Ingrid says:

I am trying to write them down and turn them into stories! It seems my subconscious is much better at plotting than my conscious mind…

Excellent idea, Ingrid. You follow the tradition of many artists!

19. kim881 says:

A great opening line, Lisa, and an intriguing journey into the world of your dreams. I love the description of the tiger standing ‘in sleek striped majesty, and the juxtaposition of terror/hunger and instinct to kill/survive. Thank you for the interpretation info.

Thank you very much, Kim.

20. Brendan says:

What a procession of great nature in the first line: What a demand and burden for the rest of the poem! Only a dream could provide the satisfaction of understanding, unknowable though dreams be: And the narrative gives the beasts their due. What creatures. What gifts. Well done.

Thank you for reading and your wonderful comment, Brendan.

21. This is like the opening of a novel. I think you should write it!

🙂 Maybe one day, Jane. A.D.D. is a great barrier.

1. I can imagine 🙂

22. calmkate says:

Great opener and fascinating dream … we all needed one of these with last year being so loaded! So glad you were rescued and kept the lovely creatures safe 🙂

Many thanks, Kate 🙂

23. robtkistner says:

Wow Lisa, incredible opening, and a riveting piece of writing. Well done!

Why thanks, Rob 🙂