dVerse — Poetics — Dearest Cold White

on

snow up against garage 030921

Dearest Cold White,
You, now leaning against the wall
in the shadows, have been my
constant companion these months.
We’ve become intimately acquainted.
Persistence is a quality of yours
that has held my attention from your
first fall. Your presence has frozen
tiny feet and hidden morsels beneath
your solid crystalled blanket.

Alas, your nemesis, resting high and
beaming low, means it’s time for you
to go. Metamorph to warm spring rain
and my dear, I’ll love you once again.

Forever yours (maybe,)
One northern hairless critter.

Image taken 10 minutes ago, 3/9/21

Sanaa is today’s host for dVerse’ Poetics. Sanaa says:
For today’s Poetics, I would like you to write a Verse Epistle. Go philosophical, go solemn, go dark or perhaps political, pose a romantic question – as long as your poem emulates the style of the poetic genre– anything goes. Keep in mind that your contribution need not be half as lengthy or flowery as the examples shared above, I aim for this prompt to be wide in scope and enjoyable for all.

1. I do love the dear snow, but I can also part with it when the time comes… right now it’s really too much to do.

I’m sure Sweden gets way more snow than MI does. I’ve seen where you are on the map and also have watched TV shows set up in that area. The sun will work its magic for you, just you wait and see.

2. sanaarizvi says:

This is incredibly potent! I can feel the snow melting away and sweet sun beaming in its place 💝💝 A perfect touch of assertiveness here. I love; “Persistence is a quality of yours that has held my attention from your first fall.” Thank you so much for writing to the prompt 🙂

Many thanks, Sanaa, and it was my pleasure to write to your prompt ❤

3. kim881 says:

I am so pleased I haven’t had to write a similar letter this year – our snow lasted only a brief while. I love the tone and the thought of becoming intimately acquainted with a presence that has ‘frozen tiny feet and hidden morsels beneath [your] solid crystalled blanket’ I hope your letter is successful in getting it to ‘metamorph to warm spring rain’, Lisa.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment, Kim. You wouldn’t believe how warm it is outside today!

1. kim881 says:

You’re more than welcome, Lisa. The day started very overcast but we did get some sunshine for a short while this afternoon.

4. merrildsmith says:

Lovely. I can see and feel that snow melting. I’m glad it hasn’t been my constant companion.

Thank you, Merril. There wasn’t much until February but it sure piled up quickly.

1. merrildsmith says:

You’re welcome. We generally get snow in February, too.

5. Beverly Crawford says:

A heartfelt write by a hairless northern critter! May warm rains thaw the frozen tiny feet!!

Thanks much, Beverly!

6. Beverly Crawford says:

7. Brendan says:

I had a coworker from Wisconsin vacationing here in Florida last week. Now its as warm in WI as it is in FL. You guys stop stealing that sunshine! It’s mine all mine!

Us snowbirds love flying to FL warmth. It’s a nice change for it to fly to us at this time of year! No robins yet, but I predict very soon.

8. I love your humor in this Poe. Lisa! Especially ‘Forever yours (maybe) 🤣

LMAO! I love you love it.

1. I always feel like that towards the end of rainy season. It’s like “enough already, we are waterlogged” Then we go 6 months with hardly any rain and you start doing rain dances! 🤣 Never happy!

9. Ron. says:

Finally, finally, finally we’ve reached snowmelt temps up here on Vermont’s Canadian border and they might actually last a few days…long enough to cut the two-or-three foot-deep drifts down considerably. Your fine farewell poetry resonates with me strongly at present. Better days ahead, eh? (At least til the giant potholes show up, ushering in Mud Season.)

10. This is great, Lisa, and nicely captures how I feel, though I couldn’t put it in words like this.

In my area in Central New Jersey, there are also some stubborn patches of snow left that seem to take forever to melt – especially in areas where the snow plow had dumped the snow.

The good news is the bloody snow is losing the battle – slowly but steadily.

I’m ready for the sun. It’s been a long and lonely winter! 🙂

Love that last line, Christian 🙂

11. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

February was our snow month, our week of winter. Considering everything this coming Spring might possibly be the most joyous in memory, as Covid is battered down, and nature puts on a rainbow show.

I learned yesterday that on 3/22 anyone 50 and over can get their covid shot. I can see that joy on the horizon, Glenn.

Ah, so well said Li!

Thanks, Sadje 🙂

You’re welcome 😊

13. rothpoetry says:

Your poem made me smile! Yes it is time for snow to go!

Thanks, Dwight!

14. calmkate says:

nice you realise it is temporary and can transform into a more beneficial form, kindly letter!

🙂 Thanks, Kate!

Good Day Sunshine…I’m ready for Mr Sunshine and that warm spring rain.

16. Ingrid says:

I love your originality and imagination Lisa, it shines through in this poem! I have cured myself for life of my affection for snow after spending one winter in Northern Slovenia, but I love the idea of sending a love letter to the snow.

Thanks, Ingrid. I only write love letter to snow when it’s on the wane. I’ve seen some of the pictures you’ve posted of the mountains and imagine it gets pretty cold and snowy around there.

17. One northern hairless critter.

Lisa, this is so funny. I was going to comment about another line, but then I got to the end of the poem and just laughed aloud!

David

It’s not the first time I’ve written about it, will try to find the other poem I wrote and share it. So glad you picked up on the humor in my poem 🙂

18. Beatriz F. says:

I can’t relate to the sentiments about snow, as I live in a land of eternal summer, but I really liked the tongue-in-cheek humor!

Glad you see it was humorous! You are blessed to live in a land of eternal summer!

19. Anonymous says:

I just read the warnings of snowstorm tomorrow. But your poem brought some warmth and hope for spring. The penultimate stanza made me smile.

1. RedCat says:

Don’t know how I became Anonymous when logged it. //RedCat

You must be “Someone.” Not sure why WP does that, always randomly from as far as I can tell.

It has gotten real cold today and snow wouldn’t be a shock. I hope not though. Thank you for reading and your comment, “Someone.”

20. Well done. Once I read this, I knew my letter would not be to a “person”

Ken, you should have written one to your cable company 😉

A fond farewell…(k)

22. This is so clever, Lisa!

Many thanks, Sara!