Women Music March 2021 – Day 23 – Chrissie Hynde

Chrissie Hynde

Christine Ellen Hynde (born September 7, 1951) is an American singer-songwriter and musician. She is a founding member and the guitarist, lead vocalist, and primary songwriter of the rock band the Pretenders, as well as its only constant member.

Hynde formed the Pretenders in 1978 with Pete Farndon, James Honeyman-Scott and Martin Chambers. She has also released a number of songs with other musicians including Frank Sinatra, Cher and UB40, and she released the solo album Stockholm in 2014. Hynde was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005 as a member of the Pretenders. She performed at Live Aid in 1985.

Hynde was born in Akron, Ohio, the daughter of a part-time secretary and a Yellow Pages manager. She graduated from Firestone High School in Akron, but stated that:

I was never too interested in high school. I mean, I never went to a dance, I never went out on a date, I never went steady. It became pretty awful for me. Except, of course, I could go see bands, and that was the kick. I used to go to Cleveland just to see any band. So I was in love a lot of the time, but mostly with guys in bands that I had never met. For me, knowing that Brian Jones was out there, and later that Iggy Pop was out there, made it kind of hard for me to get too interested in the guys that were around me. I had, uh, bigger things in mind.

Hynde became interested in hippie counterculture, Eastern mysticism, and vegetarianism. While attending Kent State University’s Art School for three years, she joined a band called Sat. Sun. Mat., which included Mark Mothersbaugh, later of Devo. Hynde was also caught up in the Kent State Massacre on May 4, 1970 in which the boyfriend of one of her friends was among the four victims.

Hynde moved to London in 1973. With her art background, she landed a job in an architectural firm but left after eight months. It was then that she met rock journalist Nick Kent and landed a position at the music magazine, the NME, writing what she subsequently described as “half-baked philosophical drivel and nonsensical tirades.” However, this proved not to last and Hynde later got a job at Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood’s then-little-known clothing store, SEX. At one point she tried to convince Johnny Rotten and then Sid Vicious (of the Sex Pistols, who were managed by McLaren) to marry her, just in order for her to get a work permit. Hynde’s version of this episode has it that Rotten “offered to go to a registry office with me and do the unmentionable” but when he subsequently pulled out, Vicious volunteered to take his place. Upon arrival at the registry office the following morning, they found it “closed for an extended holiday” and were unable to attend the following day due to Vicious making a court appearance.

Discography:
with The Pretenders: 11 albums from 1980 – 2020
with JP, Chrissie and the Fairground Boys: 1 album in 2010
Solo: 2 albums, 2014 and 2019

Other things to share:
Hynde has a daughter, Natalie, born in 1983, with Ray Davies of the Kinks. She married Jim Kerr, lead singer of the band Simple Minds, in 1984. Together they had a daughter, Yasmin, in 1985. They lived in South Queensferry, Scotland and divorced in 1990; Hynde then married Colombian artist and sculptor Lucho Brieva in 1997. They divorced in 2002.

She follows Vaishnavism, a branch of Hinduism, and travels to India once every year to further her studies.

Hynde lives in London, and also has an apartment in her hometown of Akron.

Hynde has described becoming a vegetarian as “the best thing that ever happened to me.” She says that she came to regard meat-eaters with “distaste, almost contempt” but has learned to “live and associate with [them] but never respected them.” Hynde is also an animal rights activist and a supporter of PETA and the animal rights group Viva!. She also appeared in anti-fur trade organization Respect for Animals’ commercial ‘Fur and Against’ in 2002, alongside Jude Law, Paul McCartney and others.

Hynde published an autobiography, Reckless: My Life as a Pretender, on September 8, 2015.

In October 2018, Hynde released a limited edition book of her artworks, titled Adding The Blue, the name being taken from the penultimate track on her 2014 solo album, Stockholm

Source: wikipedia

1. hanspostcard says:

There is a favorite of mine! Saw them way back– jeez 40 years ago after their first album was out..

I’ve learned a lot about Chrissie (and The Kinks) from you, Hans. I liked her before but now I know why 🙂

1. hanspostcard says:

My old friend Dan- his art teacher taught Chrissie at Kent State- said even then she was a real individual.

To be that close to greatness!

2. Sheree says:

I too have seen The Pretenders in concert. It was probably 40 years ago!

I can’t imagine how exciting it would have been to see them live 40 years ago.

3. Saw them 20 years ago here. She still had IT then. As I’m sure she still does now.

I’m sure she’s one of the sexiest female rock and roll musicians out there. You seeing her live must have been a real thrill for you.

1. Well. Not like that but they’re a damned good band live

I can not WAIT to get out to see live music again.

Great writer, guitar player, and singer. She brings the attitude and can back it up. One of my favorite artists.

I bet her autobiography is danged good too. She is living life on her terms and I love it!

I bet it is also. I know she had a rough going with a motorcycle gang before. She would have some interesting stories.

5. Great choice, Lisa. I really like The Pretenders and Hynde’s vocals. In fact, she’s still in great shape.

Have you ever listened to their most recent album “Hate for Sale”? It came out last July. It’s pretty good. Hynde’s singing is amazing, and the band sounds great as well. I actually reviewed the album last August.

Thanks, Christian, no I don’t think the library had it the last time I looked.

I saw the Pretenders way back when also. She still knows how to rock, but what a messy life! And Kent State…my father and I didn’t speak for weeks. One of my old roommates knew one of the victims too.

How amazing to have seen them live. I can’t imagine. I don’t know a lot about her life; need to read her autobiography. Don’t tell me your dad was OK with the students getting shot?

He was. He later reconsidered and admitted that Vietnam was wrong and the protesters were right. But that was many years later.

7. She has been putting out solid music for a long time. I like her style.