Women Music March 2021 – Day 31 – Sheryl Crow

Sheryl Crow

Sheryl Suzanne Crow (born February 11, 1962) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and actress. Her music incorporates elements of pop, rock, country, jazz, and blues. She has released ten studio albums, four compilations, and two live albums, and has contributed to a number of film soundtracks. Her most popular songs include “All I Wanna Do” (1994), “Strong Enough” (1994), “If It Makes You Happy” (1996), “Everyday Is a Winding Road” (1996), “Tomorrow Never Dies” (1997) (the theme song for the James Bond film of the same name), “My Favorite Mistake” (1998), “Picture” (2002) (duet with rapper Kid Rock) and “Soak Up the Sun” (2002).

Crow has sold more than 50 million albums worldwide, and won nine Grammy Awards (out of 32 nominations) from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. As an actress, Crow has appeared on various television series including 30 Rock, Cop Rock, GCB, Cougar Town, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert’s Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear, One Tree Hill and NCIS: New Orleans.

She was born in Kennett, Missouri, the daughter of Bernice (née Cain), a piano teacher, and Wendell Wyatt Crow, a lawyer and trumpet player. Her great-grandfather was congressman Charles A. Crow (1873–1938). She has two older sisters, Kathy and Karen; and a younger brother, Steven.

While studying at Kennett High School, Crow was a majorette and an all-state track athlete, medaling in the 75-meter low hurdles. She also joined the pep club, the National Honor Society, and the National FFA Organization, and was crowned Paperdoll Queen in a celebrity-judged beauty contest during her senior year.

She then enrolled at the University of Missouri in Columbia and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in music composition, performance, and education from the School of Music. While at the university, she sang in the local band Cashmere. She was a member of the Kappa Alpha Theta sorority, Sigma Alpha Iota International Music Fraternity for Women, and the Omicron Delta Kappa Society as well as working as a Summer Welcome orientation leader.

After graduating from the University of Missouri, Crow worked as a music teacher at Kellison Elementary School in Fenton, Missouri. Teaching during the day gave her the opportunity to sing in bands on the weekends. She was later introduced to local musician and record producer Jay Oliver. He had a studio in the basement of his parents’ home in St. Louis and helped her by using her in advertising jingles. Her first jingle was a back-to-school spot for the St. Louis department store Famous-Barr. Soon after she sang in commercial jingles for McDonald’s and Toyota. She was quoted in a 60 Minutes segment as saying she made $40,000 on the McDonald’s ad alone.

Discography:

Studio albums 11
Live albums 3
Compilation albums 6
Video albums 13
Music videos 57
EPs 1
Singles 45
B-sides 21
No. 1 Singles 7
Box set 1

Other things to share:
After being diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), a non-invasive form of breast cancer, Crow underwent a lumpectomy at a Los Angeles facility on February 22, 2006, followed by seven weeks of radiation therapy.

In May 2007, Crow announced on her website that she had adopted a boy who was born the month before. In June 2010 Crow announced that she had adopted another boy born the previous April. She and her sons live in West Nashville, Tennessee.

In August 2010, Crow partnered with her surgeon, Kristi Funk, to open the Sheryl Crow Imaging Center at Funk’s Pink Lotus Breast Center.

In November 2011, Crow was diagnosed with a meningioma, the most common kind of brain tumor, usually benign, for which she continued to have regular follow-up exams.

And because Sheryl is the last entry in this years Women’s Music March, I’ll leave you with this wonderful mini-concert:

Love her wordplay, songs, presence, voice, and last but not least her. I keep hoping I’ll run into her at a 7-11 or something lol. She can rock with the best of them. I saw her open up for the Stones at Vanderbilt at probably her peak. She was great.
    Wonderful month Lisa!

Max, I hope you see her one day also at the 7-11. Thank you very much and glad you enjoyed this month. I still have a few spots open for suggestions for next year if you want to give me any names 🙂

You probably have covered her…what about Debbie Harry?

Haven’t covered her. Will in 2022 🙂

Cool!
            Lisa I’m sorry I’m behind in reading posts…I’m going to try to catch up tonight.

No worries, Max. None of them are earth-shattering and can be outright skipped. No fun to feel pressure to read.

It’s always a joy Lisa…that is why I’m on here…

🙂 You and Hans are the two I try never to miss.

Well thank you Lisa…and the same with you.

2. ghostmmnc says:

Good to read about her. I like quite a few of her songs. 🙂

Glad to hear you like her. She has a tone to her voice I just love!

3. hanspostcard says:

a great way to finish off your outstanding feature! Looking forward to next March- but of course I hope time slows up a bit…. remember– Wendy O. Williams- and The Plasmatics!!

Thank you very much, Hans. I’ve got WOW et al on my list!

4. Terrific choice to wrap up your great series – I love Sheryl Crow! I had no idea about her acting. While I knew about her breast cancer, I wasn’t aware of her brain tumor – wow, being struck with cancer twice sounds really rough!

I think Sheryl has a great gift to write catchy pop rock tunes. I also like the fact that in addition to being a songwriter and vocalist she’s a real musician – a multi-instrumentalist, in fact. Last but not least, she strikes me as a no BS type of artist. That’s also a quality I really like about Bonnie Raitt.

I feel this great NPR Tiny Desk Concert illustrates all of the above! I love the low key set up and intimate atmosphere. Definitely need to watch more of these!

Thanks much for your comments along the way this month with the Women Music March, Christian. I like all you say here about Sheryl. And YES on NPR Tiny Desk Concerts! Like happening upon aural gold.

1. Have you checked out Alicia Keys? I wouldn’t call myself a fan of much her music, but she just radiates. It’s truly amazing!

I’ve heard some of her music and definitely like her sound and her aura 🙂

Another great choice. She can sing almost anything. (K)

Thanks, K. She’s her own person too.

6. Wow, I didn’t know about her problem with cancer. So sad for anyone, but especially such a vibrant, beautiful, talented individual. I saw her on one of The Crossroads blues concerts with Eric Clapton & many other legends. She totally belonged. Thanks for the post, Lisa! 🌞

Happy you enjoyed the post and yes a real bummer about her cancer, especially since she has young kids now. She’s an extraordinary individual and has brought joy to so many.

7. I was just in her hometown (Kennett, Mo) to get my vaccine!

Do they have any tributes to her in the town? She’s a national treasure!

1. I don’t know about the rest of town, but as you enter they have a sign saying, “The home of Sheryl Crow!” I think she also dedicated a pool there quite a few years back.

Congrats on getting vaxed!