A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 1 – Aqualung from Aqualung (1971)

A letter_scaled

Welcome to Day 1’s offering for the A to Z 2021 Challenge.  The large Celtic letters for each day come from Creative Haven’s, “Celtic Alphabet Designs Coloring Book,” by Cari Buziak, which you can find here.  I colored them in.  This is the 2nd year I’ve used them for A2Z.

Now on with Day 1’s song choice…

This song deals with our reaction to the homeless population. Jethro Tull vocalist and flute player Ian Anderson wrote the song and called it “a guilt-ridden song of confusion about how you deal with beggars, the homeless.” Elaborating in the 40th anniversary reissue of the album, he said,

It’s about our reaction, of guilt, distaste, awkwardness and confusion, all these things that we feel when we’re confronted with the reality of the homeless. You see someone who’s clearly in desperate need of some help, whether it’s a few coins or the contents of your wallet, and you blank them out. The more you live in that business-driven, commercially-driven lifestyle, you can just cease to see them.

An “Aqualung” is a portable breathing apparatus for divers. Anderson envisioned the homeless man getting that nickname because of breathing problems. He got the idea from watching a TV show called Sea Hunt, where there was a lot of heavy underwater breathing, and where the main character wore an Aqualung. What Anderson didn’t know is that Aqualung was a brand name, and the Aqualung Corporation of North America took legal action after the album came out. The case was eventually dropped, but the threat of a lawsuit was troubling to Anderson.

Sitting on a park bench
Eyeing little girls with bad intent
Snot’s running down his nose
Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes
Hey, Aqualung

Drying in the cold sun
Watching as the frilly panties run
Hey, Aqualung
Feeling like a dead duck
Spitting out pieces of his broken luck
Oh, Aqualung

Sun streaking cold
An old man wandering lonely
Taking time the only way he knows
Leg hurting bad as he bends to pick a dog-end
Goes down to the bog and warms his feet

Feeling alone
The army’s up the road
Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea
Aqualung, my friend
Don’t you start away uneasy
You poor old sod
You see, it’s only me

Do you still remember
December’s foggy freeze
When the ice that clings on to your beard
Was screaming agony
And you snatch your rattling last breaths
With deep-sea diver sounds
And the flowers bloom
Like madness in the spring

Sun streaking cold

Aqualung, my friend
Don’t you start away uneasy
You poor old sod
You see, it’s only me
Me-ee-eeh, o-o-o-oh

Dee dee dee dee
Dee dee, dee dee, dee dee
Dee dee dee, dee dee dee
Dee dee, dee dee

Aqualung, my friend
Don’t you start away uneasy
Oh, you poor old sod
You see, it’s only me

Sitting on a park bench
Eying little girls with bad intent
Snot’s running down his nose
Greasy fingers smearing shabby clothes
Hey, Aqualung

Drying in the cold sun
Watching as the frilly panties run
Hey, Aqualung
Feeling like a dead duck
Spitting out pieces of his broken luck
Hey, Aqualung

Wo-o-o-o-oh, Aqualung

Songwriters: Anderson Ian Scott / Price Jennifer

Source: songfacts

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

1. eschudel says:

Good start!! And good challenge. I am not very familiar with Jethro Tull, so this will be fun.

Thank you! Hope you enjoy the playlist this month 🙂

2. Scarlett79 says:

One of my favs !!! Mz. msja…oh and I loved your Letter “A”…I might use it…eeek If you wouldn’t mind. If I do, I’ll link it back to your blog post. Happy Spring and good luck with AtoZ… I’m doing the husband’s Original Artwork. Was just stopping by to see how it goes. Blessings ❤ .

So glad you like Aqualung. It’s like an operetta! Sure on the “A.” I colored letters last year and used them for A-Z. Will check out your husband’s art!

3. This is the first Tull song I ever heard. My younger brother, more musically progressive at the time, loved Jethro Tull and made me a mixtape (cassettes were the thing at the time) of his music. I remember when the lyrics came clear and how much they impacted my 20-year-old self. Thanks for bringing a great theme to us this month! ❤

Thanks, MBC!

4. It’s one of those songs I kind of know but have never paid much attention to. You’ve brought it to life for me! A terrific start.

Here’s my A!

Thanks, Keith. Glad to bring it to life for you.

5. An April of Tull – how fun. Love your colored letter as well.

Thanks, Deborah!

P.S. I just tried to find your “A” and didn’t see it?

6. Frédérique says:

Oh wow, good to hear it again! Thanks for the lyrics!
    (and yes, you are welcome to linkup ;))
    Quilting Patchwork & Appliqué – A = Abat-jour/Lampshade

Glad you like the song. Willdo on the linkup 🙂

7. I’m not super family with Jethro Tull’s songs so this is going to be a great introductory. Awesome start to April’s blog fest challenge. Thanks for stopping by for a peek at my first edition of Looney Tunes A-Z Art Sketches series with ACME Mail Order Catalog. Happy A2Zing!

Hoping you enjoy the introduction, Cathy, thank you 🙂

8. Anne Nydam says:

I’m not very familiar with Jethro Tull, although my brother, who played flute, had more interest. Should be interesting!

That is awesome your brother played flute and I can see why he’d be interested in Tull music.

9. Fandango says:

I’m so glad you’re focusing on Jethro Tull, one of, in my humble opinion, is a highly under appreciated rock groups.

Thanks Fandango, I agree!

10. Great song, Lisa. New series? 🙂

Yes, Christian 🙂 This is my third year doing A2Z. The first year I did symbology and the second essential oils. This year I picked something a little simpler.

1. And you are literally going to feature Jethro Tull songs from A to Z? Wow, not sure I would find that so easy.

Though after cheating a bit with Google, I think I have an idea what “B” might be! 🙂

I had to adjust a few of the titles to make them fit, but I found one for each day. Well, you’ll just have to wait and see won’t you. 😉

1. Ha, looking forward to it!

11. Sort of sad vision of the homeless man but certainly realistic. I’ve decided to listen to more diverse music and your posts will keep me to the task. I’ll be here all month so visit when you get the chance: https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/

Awesome! Will be visiting you on the A2Z trail.

Thanks Lisa…you are teaching me about them. I never knew much about them. I had no clue with the history of this song.

You’re very welcome, Max.

13. sdtp33 says:

one of the best lyrics in rock music (along with “Locomotive Breath), and it stands up well on the page!
    JIM

I’m glad you appreciate Ian Anderson’s lyrics!

14. ahtdoucette says:

Great, educational day 1. I am looking forward to seeing what I learn on day 2. Thanks for sharing all the lyrics too.

Thanks, Anne!

15. ghostmmnc says:

I’ve heard this song a time or two, but didn’t pay much attention to the lyrics. Kinda creepy and sad. I have no idea what else he sang, so will enjoy finding out through your posts. 🙂

I agree, Aqualung is a tragic figure but menacing as well with his “eyeing little girls with bad intent.”

16. Liam says:

Here’s the one Jethro Tull song I know. The next 26 will all be surprises for me!

Good! Some of them are new to me also. I filled in the ones I know and like for the letters then sought new ones for the letters that were left.

17. J. says:

I have this album, but can’t say I’ve spent much time with it. Bought it on CD in the late 90’s after watching the Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus, I believe… pretty shocking that I’ve never really gotten familiar with it!

Yes it is pretty shocking! I know how that goes though. I have a lot of CDs that rarely if ever get a good listen.

p.s. I’m trying to get to your blog but not able to. Will you give me a link to it please?

1. J. says:

It’s here https://towaxecstatic.wordpress.com. Let me know if you have any problems!

Looking at this comment it says you are vinyldaftdad but your blog is towaxecstatic. I think that’s why I couldn’t find you as I was looking for vinyldaftdad in my followed blogs. Thanks! That should do the trick 🙂

1. J. says:

Ah! I’ve had a wee looky and see that my old site was still saved within my WordPress profile. I’ve updated the site and hopefully that’ll sort that out if clicking on my username or such… thanks for highlighting!

Fabulous! Just tested it and voila!

18. Suddenly, the thought of investing in a colouring book has entered my mind. 😁

You should! Look at dover books online. You’ll be amazed at what’s out there. One year I did one coloring a day (see my tag Coloring Club Plus) and posted one song I liked with it that I had been listening to as I colored. It was great therapy, a lot of fun, and I got way better at coloring 🙂

1. Thanks for the recommendations. we could all do with additional ways to relax and unwind. 🤓

You’re welcome 🙂

19. Spent a lot of time with this one when it first came out. Still sounds great.

It’s a good’n!