A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 3 – (To) Cry You a Song from Benefit (1970)

C letter_scaled

According to [guitarist] Martin Barre, “To Cry You a Song” was a response to Blind Faith’s “Had to Cry Today“, “

although you couldn’t compare the two; nothing was stolen… The riff crossed over the bar in a couple of places and Ian and I each played guitars on the backing tracks. It was more or less live in the studio with a couple of overdubs and a solo. Ian played my Gibson SG and I played a Les Paul on it.

Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I’ll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town
To cry you a song.

It’s been a long time
Still shaking my wings.
Well, I’m a glad bird
I got changes to ring.

Closing my dream inside its paper-bag.
Thought I saw angels
But I could have been wrong.
Search in my case,
Can’t find what they’re looking for.
Waving me through
To cry you a song.

It’s been a long time
Still shaking my wings.
Well I’m a glad bird
I got changes to ring.

Lights in the street,
Peeping through curtains drawn.
Rattling of safety chain taking too long.
The smile in your eyes was never so sweet before
Came down from the skies
To cry you a song.

Songwriter: Ian Anderson

Source: wikipedia

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

1. I see what you did here, Lisa! 🙂

I just found a Jethro Tull tune that starts with a “d”! Since I probably only know a dozen of their tunes or so, I had to look for that one.

Hey a Tull month-long chronicler has to do what a Tull month-long chronicler has to do 🙂

1. Right! Looking forward to your future installments.

2. A great song and Anderson’s lyrics are brilliant. He certainly sounds a glad bird!

Yes it is and yes they are 🙂

That really rocks! This is the most I’ve listened to them in years…I love the duel guitars playing in unison.

Is that what that sound is? It does sound awesome! Glad I’m getting you to listen to Tull again 🙂

Yes both guitars are playing the same notes but one…sorry this is probably too much info… is playing a low note and the other the same note but in a higher register…it’s awesome. Thin Lizzy did that a lot also. After you are done I’ll pick one out….I’ve never posted one by them.

Good information to know, thanks, Max.

4. Frédérique says:

Good music, thanks for sharing 😉

Thank you and glad you enjoyed it, Frederique 🙂

5. Helen Dehner says:

Wow! Pardon me while I grab my flute ~~~ seems he forgot his while concentrating on the cigarettes.

6. Liam says:

That Blind Faith album is one of my favorites. I love when musicians communicate with one another through song and build up a relationship in the music.

You mean the one with Winwood, Clapton, Baker, and the 4th guy? Or another Blind Faith album? I think Blind Faith did it and Cream before them did also.

1. Liam says:

Yep, Winwood/Clapton/Baker/Grech. They only released one album although there’s probably been subsequent “from the vault” releases.

7. ahtdoucette says:

Another great song. And I love the illuminated lettering you’re using. I swear that horse is looking at me like, hey.

Thanks, Anne, glad you enjoyed the song. I had a lot of fun coloring the letters.

8. hanspostcard says:

I like your taking on a band that doesn’t get much talk anymore.

Thank you, Hans. The library has been a blessing in revisiting a lot of excellent music.

9. A little Saturday morning Tull. Nice!

Love the rhythm in this one. (K)

11. J. says:

This is a good one – I’m adding these Jethro Tull albums to my list.

It’s amazing how much good music they have made.

1. J. says:

Indeed! I feel like I’ve missed so much by not exploring this stuff sooner!

I know that feeling!

12. I learned something new today. Thank you! I do not know very much of music, and less of musicians.
    I wish you good luck on continuing the A-Z challenge.

Charlotte, thank you! I plan on finishing it and reading as many others’ posts as I can. I got behind yesterday!

13. Lisa,

Another song introduction! I’m sure every song you share this month will be new to my ears. I’m not sure why Jethro Tull didn’t show up on my radar until well into my adulthood but the band has been around a long time. Thanks for sharing!

If you haven’t already, I invite you to check out my Looney Tunes Cecil Turtle Art Sketch. Happy A2Zing, my friend!

Glad you’re enjoying the ride, Cathy 🙂