A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 2 – Bourée, from Stand Up (1969)

B letter_scaled

“Bourée” was recorded at Olympic Studios (the only song on the album that was.) Some regarded Olympic Studios as important as Abbey Road Studios.

It proved the most difficult to record, with the band unsatisfied with any of the takes they recorded. The final version of the song was compiled later from several takes, with additional overdubs added by Anderson.

It is a jazzy re-working of “Bourrée in E minor” by Johann Sebastian Bach.

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

1. I’m familiar with both pieces but I’d never twigged their connection! On this occasion, it’s Bach for me, sorry JT!

Here’s my B!

I’m a fan of Bach also. Have you heard Wendy Carlos’ Switched on Bach? Good stuff!

1. I’ve not, but as a massive Bach fan I’m about to! Thanks so much.

It’s not easy to find Wendy Carlos Switched On Bach youtubes. If you have interlibrary loans where you’re at, you might be able to find it there.

2. I like the element of jazz in their version of of the song.

I do too. Thanks for reading.

3. ahtdoucette says:

I really like how the artists made this song their own without losing the melody.

They do it up right.

4. Thumbs up on this one. I can imagine not being satisfied with a single version – there are too many places to screw it up, so I think it was smart to go with a cobbling of all the best parts.

Glad you enjoyed the tune, Deborah.

I’ve always liked this but it’s been a long time…(K)

I do too but didn’t know it was based on a Bach song until I put the post together.

6. I knew it would be “Bourée”! 🙂

When I was taking classical guitar lessons many moons ago, my teacher showed me a version of Bourée for guitar. Unfortunately, I’ve all forgotten about it. It involved quite a bit of finger acrobatics, which is safe to assume I could no longer master these days.

So you guessed right, cool! I’m guessing anything Bach isn’t that easy to play or at least play well. I think you’d have to practice to get back to it, but if you wanted to you could! Think positive!

1. Ha! Thanks for your encouragement, Lisa, I like your positive thinking! I haven’t played any guitar for a few months due to a stubborn joint flare-up. But my rheumatologist just put me back on a medicine that used to work pretty well, so keeping fingers crossed – and hopefully joints moving! 🙂

Have you every tried CoQ10? I heard that works well for arthritis.

1. Thanks, Lisa, I have not. Frankly, I don’t have a lot of faith in supplements, though my wife has taken some and says they have helped her. At least they don’t have negative side effects unlike “regular” medicines where that is always a possibility.

You’re welcome. One of my old co-workers who had really bad knees said it was the only thing that helped him (until he had knee replacement surgery.)

That has a cool atmosphere! I like it.

I agree, Max. Glad you like it!

8. Liam says:

I like this. Sounds like it could be from the soundtrack of a madcap comedy in the Swinging Sixties.

I like your impression of it. Somewhere along the way, Jethro Tull tried to make a movie but not sure if it was with this album or not.

9. la tulipe says:

souvenirs, souvenirs, Thank you 🙂

You’re welcome 🙂

10. Phil Cooper says:

Great track, it still sounds terrific 😀

Glad you like it, Phil, and yes it does! 🙂

11. I’m glad you decided to feature Jethro’s music for this month’s blog fest. It’s allowing me to familiarize myself with his stuff at an easy pace. I’m sorry for the belated visit. I’m trying to devise a better system to keeping up with my daily A2Z tasks. Thanks for stopping by to check out my Looney Tunes Bugs Bunny Art Sketch. Happy A2Zing!

I’m glad you visited and look forward to hearing the music. I understand about getting a system for reading. I had to trim back the # of blogs I visit as there is just no time. I’ve been enjoying your Looney Tunes sketches very much!

12. Anne Nydam says:

Oh yeah, I have heard this one. I love both versions. They’ve done some really clever adaptation. =)
    Black and White: E for Eden

Glad you’ve heard it and like it. I agree on their clever adaptation.