A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 8 Hymn 43, from Aqualung (1971)

H letter_scaled

Aqualung is their fourth studio album, released on 19 March 1971, by Chrysalis Records. It is widely regarded as a concept album featuring a central theme of “the distinction between religion and God”, though the band have said there was no intention to make a concept album, and that only a few songs have a unifying theme. According to one reviewer, the album has “dour musings on faith and religion” which for him have marked it as “one of the most cerebral albums ever to reach millions of rock listeners.” Aqualung’s success signaled a turning point in the career of the band, which went on to become a major radio and touring act.

“Hymn 43” was released as a single and reached No. 91 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Songwriter Ian Anderson considers it as “a blues for Jesus, about the gory, glory seekers who use his name as an excuse for a lot of unsavory things. You know, ‘Hey Dad, it’s not my fault — the missionaries lied.'” Sean Murphy of PopMatters wrote that, “For “Hymn 43” Anderson sets his sights on the US and in quick order sets about decimating the hypocrisy and myth-making of religion and the new religion, entertainment.”

Source: wikipedia

Our Father high in heaven, smile down upon your son
Who is busy with his money games – his women and his gun
Oh Jesus save me

And the unsung western hero, he killed an Indian or three
And then he made his name in Hollywood to set the white man free
Oh Jesus save me

If Jesus saves, well he better save himself
From the gory glory seekers who use his name in death
Oh Jesus save me

If Jesus saves, well he better save himself
From the gory glory seekers who use his name in death
Oh Jesus save me

Well I saw him in the city, and on the mountains of the moon
His cross was rather bloody, and he could hardly roll his stone
Oh Jesus save me
Songwriter: Ian Anderson

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

This one I do know…and love. I have to post some of their songs after you are done…this is a lot of fun listening to them.

Great, I hope you do. This is one of my favorites of theirs also.

I’m so glad you picked them…it’s been so long since I listened. Same thing happened to me with the Replacements. I stopped in 89 or so and now I’m back on board.

I like the idea of 30 days of a particular artist’s music/art/actor/writer/etc. and may make it a regular feature. Did the Replacements have airplay? The name is just not ringing a bell.

Only on alternative radio…that is all. Pretty much the same with REM before they had a hit.

2. Liam says:

This one’s kind of cool.

They go full bore on this one. Glad you think it’s kind of cool 🙂

3. A great song with interesting lyrics! It’s one I’d forgotten about.

Here’s my H!

It’s a good’n!

4. ahtdoucette says:

This song is the truth. Have a great rest of your day.

Thanks, Anne! You also!

One of my faves. (K)

Mine too, K.

6. One of the few Jethro Tull tunes I know and definitely one of my favorites!

Happy to hear it, Christian. It’s a good’n!

7. Lisa,

I’m trying to catch up yet again. I really need to do a few sketches to stay ahead of the game. Thanks for sharing Hymn 43 with me. If you haven’t already, please check out my Looney Tunes’ Henery Hawk Art Sketch when you get a chance, my friend. Happy A2Zing!!

8. Another good one off that album again.
    (Just going through some books. Come across a Grims Fairy Tales. The illustration are by Walter Crane. Same feel as yours)

Just looked at Walter Crane illustrations. Excellent artwork! I love this kind of art.

1. It’s like the early Boz illustrations for Dickens.. Love those