A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 9 Inside, from Benefit (1970)

I letter_scaled

Benefit is their third studio album, released in April 1970. It was the first Tull album to include pianist and organist John Evan – though he was not yet considered a permanent member of the group – and the last to include bass guitarist Glenn Cornick who was fired from the band upon completion of touring for the album. It was recorded at Morgan Studios, the same studio where the band recorded its previous album Stand Up however the band experimented with more advanced recording techniques.

Frontman Ian Anderson said that he considers Benefit to be a much darker album than Stand Up, owing to the pressures of an extensive U.S. tour and frustration with the music business.

Reviews were mixed on it. Some called it an underrated transition album, and many feel that it is often overshadowed by their next, a blockbuster album, “Aqualung.”

Source: wikipedia

All the places I’ve been make it hard to begin
To enjoy life again on the inside, but I mean to.
Take a walk around the block
And be glad that I’ve got me some time
To be in from the outside,
And inside with you.

I’m sitting on the corner feeling glad.
Got no money coming in but I can’t be sad.
That was the best cup of coffee I ever had.
And I won’t worry about a thing
Because we’ve got it made,
Here on the inside, outside so far away.

And we’ll laugh and we’ll sing get someone to bring
Our friends here for tea in the evening
Old Jeffrey makes three.
Take a walk in the park, does the wind in the dark
Sound like music to you?
Well I’m thinking it does to me.

Can you cook, can you sew? Well, I don’t want to know.
That is not what you need on the inside, to make the time go.
Counting lambs, counting sheep
We will fall into sleep
And we awake to a new day of living
And loving you so.
Songwriter: Ian Anderson

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

1. I like it! I also just listened to two JT tunes that start with “j”. I guess I have to wait and see whether any of them is your next pick! 🙂

Have I inspired you to listen to more Jethro Tull? If so, that makes me happy.

1. It’s definitely a great way to explore them in greater detail!😀

2. I know so little about Jethro Tull. But I really like this

Glad you are listening and found one you like 🙂 I’m kind of surprised you know so little about them.

3. ahtdoucette says:

This song feels like the most human one so far. I almost feel like I’m at a cafe listening while they play this for change. It’s so everyday beautiful. Love that ending phrase. I don’t usually like reading lyrics while listening to songs for the first time but the poetry is too tempting not to!

Anne so glad you connected with this wonderful tune. Yes it has that coffee house feel to it.

4. J. says:

I’m really digging this one. Another Tull album to add to the list (at this rate I might as well check them all out!)

I like the earlier ones best. This is one of the earlier ones.

5. Frédérique says:

Another good one! Thanks for sharing these songs, and I like to (re)discover them!

You’re most welcome, Frederique!

6. Enjoyed the music and found the lyrics interesting. Very poetic: ?Take a walk in the park, does the wind in the dark Sound like music to you?” and then there’s the double meaning of inside and outside.

Thanks much, Gail, glad you connected with this one.

1. Love this little audio tour of Tull. This is my favorite so far.

Happy to hear it, Deborah!

7. Iain Kelly says:

I like this one, perfect for a chilled Saturday evening!

I’m not familiar with this album, but I really like the flute and the harmony on this song. (K)

This song has such a nice flow to it. The music reminds me of something Van Morrison would do…like I said…it just flows nicely. I never knew about a lot of these.

It does have a lovely flow to it.

10. Lisa,

You’re doing well coming up with the right song for each day’s alpha prompt. Thanks for sharing “Inside” with me. If you haven’t already, please check out my Looney Tune Injun Putty Tat Art Sketch when you get a moment, my friend. Happy A2Zing!!