Sculpture Saturday #53 — Iron Tree by Ai Weiwei

GEDSC DIGITAL CAMERA
“Iron Tree” by Ai Weiwei at Frederik Meijer Garden and Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

This is a new challenge for me.  Susan Kelly hosts Sculpture Saturday.  Meijer Garden and Sculpture Park is full of sculpture.  My favorite sculpture there, by one of my favorite big artists,  is Iron Tree by Ai Weiwei.   Learn more about Iron Tree here.

This is so unique.

It’s a beauty, especially up close. Makes me wonder how he made it especially with all of the pieces fitting together like they do.

It is beautiful work of art.

2. Liam says:

This is cool. Ai Weiwei has made a lot of thought-provoking work. I once saw a giant snake he made of children’s backpacks that represented children who died after an earthquake caused their school to collapse. He was criticizing the Chinese government for the shoddy construction of public school buildings.

Yes he has. He shows what one man can do when he puts his mind to it. He had a big exhibit at the museum at the time Iron Tree was installed. It was very impressive and unforgettable. Most of it left but the tree stayed. I’ve followed some of his installations (online) and the backpack one is one. There are at least a few good docs on him out there.

3. ‘A metaphor for cultures and communities of widespread diversity brought together as a social whole is foundational to the artists intention.’
    I like that. Also, the nails also took me to a Frieda Kalo painting.

It looks ancient and wise. (K)

If it’s infused with Ai’s spirit, it is.

When I first saw it I thought it was a real tree… Really cool sculpture.

Seeing it in the wooded setting makes it even better.

It is really cool. Making a sculpture out of something living like that is a great idea.

6. smkelly8 says:

Very cool. I’ve seen a documentary on Ai Weiwei and know about his backpack installation, which honors the victims of the Sichuan earthquake. This is another cool work of his.

Thanks for joining Sculpture Saturday.

Thank you and you’re welcome. Did I link it to the right place? I had it linked one place then saw that it was in 2020 so I looked for the most recent date I could see and linked it there.