dVerse — Poetics — The Migration Habits of Snow Geese

Snow Goose — Eastside Audubon Society

When at last an ache of joint-swelling freeze crosses the line,
I shall fly as the snow goose, to warm, moist watery climes
then bow my weary head in grizzled grey grace to the sun.
I’ll waddle muck, then float, weightless on duckweed ponds.
I’ll enjoy each still dawn and sunset with other snowbirds,
creaks drowned with soothing menageries’ rise and lullaby.

Snow Geese of Bosque del Apache

top image
bottom image

Kim from Writing in North Norfolk is today’s host of dVerse’ Poetics. Kim says:
The challenge is to write a poem in the first person that compares some trait of ours with something animal. It should not be a whale, but another creature (mammal, fish, bird, insect, etc.) with which we have something in common. The title should be the animal thing, in the same way Marjorie Saiser chose ‘The Print the Whales Make’.

1. Oh, we both chose the goose as the animal… I love the way you express the feeling of letting go when spring is here.

So glad we both picked goose. Thank you for your feedback on the poem.

2. Ingrid says:

I really enjoyed the sounds of this poem Lisa, especially the alliteration of ‘grizzled grey grace’ – beautiful word-painting!

3. kim881 says:

Ah, you and Björn both wrote about geese, Lisa! Great minds… Snow geese are very special. Have you read The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico? Your poem reminded me of it, an old favourite of mine. I love the alliteration and image in the lines:
    ‘I shall fly as the snow goose, to warm, moist watery climes
    then bow my weary head in grizzled grey grace to the sun.’

I thought of snow geese because this February as I was leaving the small farmer’s market (the only place I’ve shopped since the pandemic) which is located out in the middle of farm country, I saw a small group of them looking exhausted by the side of the building. I wondered why they were there and hoped they made to where they were headed. No I haven’t read that poem, but I will now 🙂 Thank you for your feedback, Kim and glad you liked it.

1. kim881 says:

I haven’t been out much but I have seen and heard geese overhead. The book I mentioned is a novel. The only poem I know about geese is by Mary Oliver.

I just checked interlibrary loan and they have it. Looking forward to reading it. I used to read a lot of animal stories as a kid.

4. sanaarizvi says:

Oh this is absolutely beautiful, beautiful writing Lisa! 💝 I love; “I shall fly as the snow goose, to warm, moist watery climes,” Yes! 🙂

1. sanaarizvi says:

You’re most welcome! 💝

5. Nicely done, Lisa. I like this a lot. Peaceful and serene.

6. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

I enjoyed this a lot; very poetic clever wordsmithing. I wonder though if it’s “creek” and not “creak” in the final line?

Thanks, Glenn. The creak is correct as in the pain of swollen arthritic joints in the north leave in the warm south. Think of it as creek if you want to though 🙂

Serene poem

Thank you, Sadje.

You’re welcome Li

Definitely a habit that humans share…follow the sun! (K)

I’m listening to a new (to me) album, “Post Pop Depression,” that has Iggy Pop and Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures. The last song on the album is “Paraguay.” YES! I want to head south and get lost.

I’ll have to look for that. Iggy Pop has grown on me over the years.

I was listening to it today while out running errands. Damfine tunes!

9. robtkistner says:

Wonderful piece here Lisa! I understand the snowbird attraction. I would be on my way somewhere south — but I will not leave my grandson. And given my age and health, likely never will.

Maybe a vaca?

“creaks drowned with soothing menageries’ rise and lullaby” That is great Lisa…and congrats again!

11. You nailed this one Lisa! I want to be that goose. I particularly love these lines
    “then bow my weary head in grizzled grey grace to the sun.
    I’ll waddle muck, then float, weightless on duckweed ponds.”
    🥰

Thank you very much, Christine. Wild horses couldn’t keep me away from warm weather this winter.

12. rothpoetry says:

Very nicely done Lisa! I love what you have done here. The feeling of hope and freedom and nostalgia, makes passing on seem like and adventure!

Thanks, Dwight! A little lighter tone today.

1. rothpoetry says:

Yes for sure!! :>)

13. I’ll enjoy each still dawn and sunset with other snowbirds,

That’s the key to happiness, isn’t it, Lisa?

David

14. This is a rather lovely image ” in grizzled grey grace to the sun”.

🙂 Thank you.