dVerse — side by side — “Oh When Will Autumn Moon and Spring Flowers End (The Beautiful Lady Yu)” by Li Yu

my reinterpretation

Please clouds, veil Venus // winds strip stems!
Fragrant petals now a biting blinding snow
Evening’s wander un-dammed floodgates //
time’s remembered joys
Season’s rendezvous // forbidden pools //
yesterday today’s woe
Warm // velvet curtains hushed // urgent cushioned sighs
Cool // sandpaper walls echo // piteous ragged lows
How many ghosts // sweet rotting arms // must call?
Endless stream, hungry shadows laugh // dance, aglow

original by Li Yu

Oh when will autumn moon and spring flowers end?
How many past events I’ve known.
The east wind buffeted my room again last night,
I cannot bear to remember the bright moon of the old country.
The marble steps and carved balustrades must still be there,
The people’s rosy cheeks are all that’s changed.
How much sorrow can one man have to bear?
As much as a river of spring water flowing east

Yesterday, for Laura’s dVerse’ Poetics challenge, I reinterpreted the  Li Yu poem, “Oh When Will Autumn Moon and Spring Flowers End (The Beautiful Lady Yu)” but didn’t have the formatting knowledge to put them side to side.   Ron Rowland (who wrote an excellent poem to the challenge) helped me remedy that.  Thank you, Ron!

1. Ron Rowland says:

Glad to be of service. Yes, I believe the side-by-side works much better for these types of poetic alterations.

To be honest I haven’t even begun to explore all of the features of the block editor. I go for “classic” every time lol

2. they look lovely together! Block editor is clunky at times but makes format easier

Thank you, Laura!

3. Cara Hartley says:

A very impressive interpretation of the prompt.
    ~cie from naughty netherworld press~

Thanks much, Cie!

Oh I love those last two lines. You also really captured the feeling well. (K)

Thank you very much. Your opinion means a lot to me.

5. sanaarizvi says:

My goodness this is absolutely exquisite, Lisa! 😀 I especially admire; “Warm // velvet curtains hushed // urgent cushioned sighs Cool // sandpaper walls echo // piteous ragged lows.” 💝💝

🙂 ❤ So glad it pleases you, Sanaa, thank you.