A2Z 2021 Jethro Tull Songs Day 22 Velvet Green from Songs from the Wood (1977)

V letter_scaled

Peter from Prog Archives says of the album, Songs from the Wood:

Singer/songwriter Ian Anderson, in keeping with the recording’s title, revels in his folkier side here, with terrific, spot-on accompaniment from his band (comprised of Martin Barre on guitar and lute, John Evans on keyboards, Barriemore Barlow on drums and percussion, and John Glascock on bass and backing vocals). Additional keyboards and “portative organ” are provided by frequent collaborator David Palmer, who eschews his polished orchestral arrangements this time out, to further reinforce the session’s “rootsy” atmosphere.

Regarding “Velvet Green,” Peter says:

…quite tasty, with particularly good drumming from Barlow, and healthy leavenings of rhythmic organ and “singing” lead from Evans and Barre, respectively. This is another wonderfully diverse musical melange; at times quasi-medieval in flavour — at others herbacious and folky. The lyrics detail the myriad pleasures to be found in strolling — and rolling — in loving company “on the green.” A classic Tull cut!

Ivan Melgar M says:

“Velvet Green” starts absolutely Medieval reminding me of other Celtic bands as Steeleye Span, even when Ian’s voice is so unique. The complex vocal work is the higher point of this wonderful track along with the Renaissance sounding keyboards.

Cesar Inca says:

The folk factor is enhanced in another overtly complex piece, ‘Velvet Green’, which also incorporates exquisite Renaissance influenced elements: the intricacy of this track is cleverly delivered without breaking the delicateness demanded by the successive motifs. A real gem! – IMHO, this is the apex of an album that has so many brilliant moments in it.

Source: Prog Archives

Walking on Velvet Green
Scotch pine growing
Isn’t it rare to be taking the air?
Singing
Walking on Velvet Green

Walking on Velvet Green
Distant cows lowing
Never a care
With your legs in the air
Loving
Walking on Velvet Green

Won’t you have my company
Yes, take it in your hands
Go down on Velvet Green with a country man
Who’s a young girl’s fancy and an old maid’s dream
Tell your mother that you walked all night on Velvet Green

One dusky half-hour’s ride up to the north
There lies your reputation and all that you’re worth
Where the scent of wild roses turns the milk to cream
Tell your mother that you walked all night on Velvet Green

And the long grass blows in the evening cool
And August’s rare delights may be April’s fool
But think not of that my love
I’m tight against the seam
And I’m growing up to meet you down on Velvet Green

Now let me tell you that it’s love and not just lust
And if we live the lie let’s lie in trust
On golden daffodils to catch the silver stream
That washes out the wild oat seed on Velvet Green

We’ll dream as lovers under the stars
But civilization’s raging afar
And the ragged dawn breaks on your battle scars
As you walk home cold and alone upon Velvet Green

Walking on Velvet green
Scotch pine growing
Isn’t it rare to be taking the air, singing
Walking on Velvet green

Walking on Velvet green
Distant cows lowing
Never a care, with your legs in the air, loving
Walking on Velvet green

Songwriter: Ian Anderson

A2Z 2021 on each page banner

1. A really folksy piece. Oddly enough, Steeleye Span came to mind even before I read what Ivan MM said! I am passionate about them and their music and I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve seen them live.

Here’s my V!

I can definitely hear the connection. So awesome you’ve seen them love so many times.

2. It may be lovely, but this one just makes me sad.

It does feel like she was under an enchantment.

3. Frédérique says:

I like this “rootsy” atmosphere ;))

🙂 I do also!

I like the folk sound of this…you haven’t posted one yet that I didn’t like.

I think that the only one I *might* not like is the “Z” but not sure now. Glad you’ve been enjoying the series, Max 🙂

Jade, you’re reminding me of so much good music I haven’t thought about for a long time. Another gem. (K)

6. ahtdoucette says:

For some reason, this song makes me think of Stephen’s Green in Dublin. Not sure why other than the title, but I can see myself there watching some buskers playing it. Like that’s where I want to listen to this song. Maybe I just really want to be traveling.

So glad it got your mind wandering to other places, Anne. I can’t wait to take a trip somewhere!

7. Liam says:

It sounds like they’re jamming with J.S. Bach on this one.

They and Bach have some things in common, glad you noticed that, Liam.

8. Listening to this song took back to the merry old days of England. That probably sounds a weird but that’s how my brain translated the music. 🙂

Cathy, I think that was Ian’s intent with this song. It’s a lovely thing that transports us to another place.