Doodads 050721

on

I decided to take a drive to the Amish store yesterday. It’s the first time I’ve been shopping there since last March. It felt good to go for the drive and to pick out my favorites only found there again. They make the best baked goods! My two favorites are “maple braids” and “lemon sticks.” They were out of the braids but the lemon sticks, which are like puffy long johns sliced horizontally with a thick layer of lemon filling in them and a dusting of powdered sugar. Oh my! I also found 12 oz 100% soy scented candles made locally for $3 less than what I have been buying for them, so I was a happy camper.

After going to the store, I took a long way home and stopped at one of my favorite stopping places, called Brown’s Pond. It’s more like a long, bending lake. They’ve built 2 overflows at the end that empty into the Sand River. The road dead-ends into where the pond empties into the river and there is a walking path from there. Within the last couple of years, some moron has put a “No Parking” sign up. Yes, like that’s going to stop me. Call the cops, go ahead!

resized long shot browns pond 050521 GEDC1232 (2)

This is looking to where the pond curves off to the right in the distance.  It’s deep here and there are lots of fish in that water.

resized log in brown's pond 050521
A neat looking log lying in the water near the shore.  I liked the effect of the sun on the water, which looks like cells to me.

resized waves in browns pond 050521 GEDC1231 (2)more neat waves

resized larger overflow for browns pond 050521 GEDC1238 (2)there are two overflows going into the river.  this is the larger one.  this is a fairly new structure

resized browns pond larger overflow 050521GEDC1237 (2)doesn’t this look like heaven on earth?  it’s so peaceful here!  the sound of the water lulls me

resized wildflowers 050521 GEDC1240 (2)some beautiful wildflowers growing nearby

1. Dora says:

Lovely and relaxing, Lisa! The pictures too. Deep breath. Ain’t the simple life grand?
    ~🕊Dora

Yes, Dora! Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Beautiful place.

3. Not only does the pond look lovely, but apparently you had perfect weather to be there. Blue sky, sun and nature are a beautiful combination.

I look forward to spending more time outdoors, as the weather keeps getting better – and with the Covid situation improving, hopefully seeing some open air music. A number of townships in my neck of the woods traditionally have pretty good summer concert programs.

It was, Christian, but today so chilly a coat was needed to be outside 😦 Our frost time should be over by next week but who knows. Waiting to buy plants until I’m sure.

I hear you on the open air music! I went out to lunch with a friend today (that’s out for lunch twice this week, yay!) and she said our normal weekly “party in the park” will be just one friday in late summer, early fall. If the JERKS who refuse to get vaccinated understood what a damper this puts on everything maybe they’d stop being so selfish and get the damn shot.

Correction on last time I was at the Amish place: it was in July, not March (another blogger pointed to a post about going there in July. Memory can be a bugger sometimes.)

It is beautiful Lisa…I can’t help but want to get the fishing pole out…the cops probably would get me then!

There were a couple of teenagers fishing there, and I didn’t see any “no fishing” signs….

Well…Max would be legal. I never care if I catch anything…I just like doing it…It is relaxing.

What wonderful blues and greens! Water is always soothing. And picking groceries out in a store–I’ll never take it for granted again. (K)

Thank you, K. It is such a beautiful place. Agreed on the grocery picking!

7. This reminds me. It may be gray out today, but I think I’ll head out for a walk on the trails of a local nature area.

Cool, and I’m sure you’ll bring your camera. I took a stroll around the yard when I went out to get the mail.