Doodads — flowers in the rain

on

It’s been beautiful most of the week, sunny and warm.  There was a brief thunderstorm at the beginning of the week.  Wednesday night it rained by cleared by morning.  Later yesterday afternoon it became overcast again and rain began to fall.  Afraid of possible overnight frost with the temperature drop I went out to cover what I could and pulled in everything in planters (including Avocadette.)  It was then I noticed the iris in bloom.  As I had my phone in my pocket, the domino was set in motion for this series of photos.

resized dwarf lilacs 052721
dwarf lilacs on the verge
resized firecracker plant 052721
Vermillionaire Cuphea hybrid, aka firecracker plant (it’s an annual)
resized first dianthus blooming in rain 052721
dianthus planted last year’s first bloom this year
resized first dianthus close up 052721
closeup of dianthus blossom
resized first iris in the rain 2 052721
first iris of the season. what a beaut!
resized first iris in the rain 052721
so lovely i took 2 pics of it
resized small orange blossoms 052721
Campfire flame, Bidens hybrid (another annual to brighten up the bed)

resized strawberry plants in the tub 052721

Waiting in small pots the strawberry plants faded and some may not make it because of it.

1. Beautiful pictures, Lisa. I think my wife who is into gardening would like your plants. While I enjoy looking at plants, I don’t have a green thumb!

We had great weather in my neck of the woods (Central NJ) through yesterday. In fact, Monday and Wednesday felt like full-blown summer with high temperatures hitting the ’90s. Today, it’s overcast and 30 degrees cooler with rain forecast for the afternoon – typical tri-state area weather swing! 🙂

The weather is supposed to stay like this through Sunday. Memorial Day currently looks better, with temperatures in the mid-’70s and some sunshine.

Thanks, Christian! I don’t like these drastic weather changes at all. I looked out this morning and swore I saw snowflakes but it was just my imagination. It’s so cold outside right now! Amazing your area was in the 90s, that’s really something, only to swing 30 degrees. Ugh I hope this doesn’t last through Sunday, as I’ve been putting off mowing and now can’t mow at all.

2. That iris is amazing. Great photos!

Thank you, Jennifer. The flash did its job as it was pretty overcast when I took the pic.

3. Dora says:

Just beautiful! I love your garden, and gardening skills too. ❤️🕊

The Iris is an awesome picture with the water drops.

🙂 Thank you, Max. Good thing I took it yesterday as this morning the stalk made it fall over 😦

5. Carol anne says:

wow they are stunning! ❤

I’ll let them know you said so 😉

We’ve got the cold and rain too–evidently for the week. Your flowers look good–hope they make it through! (K)

I just went outside and see frost got the tomatoes and peppers 😦 I wonder if they will recover? We’ll see.

7. The Hinoeuma says:

Lovely flowers. We’ve been having weather close to 90 for a few days. Finally, rain, yesterday.

You must be up north if you’re still getting frost. Geographically, I’m the same latitude as Max.

Thank you, Vic. 90 is getting up there! Frost got my tomatoes and peppers last night 😦 Hoping they recover. I live in West MI approximately same latitude as Milwaukee.

1. The Hinoeuma says:

Gotcha. I’m in central NC.

8. Lovely flowers. I know you didn’t take in that tub of strawberries!

Thanks, Ken. I think the tub being raised and full of warm soil protected the strawberries. I pulled in everything that wasn’t heavy, but I did pull in the avocado tree, which takes a little effort.