Petite Pointe Au Sable Lighthouse (and a few flowers)

on

These were all taken on June 1, 2021.  All pictures can go full size if you click on their caption links.

resized lilacs 060121
dwarf lilacs are finally blooming and they smell so good. these are hardy little plants.
resized zebrina malva 060121
Malva, Zebrina first bloom of the season. They are an ever blooming perennial. the blossom looks like a geranium blossom and blooms from the stalk of the plant, which grows big like a hollyhock. This one plant seeded itself into several other plants. It’d gorgeous and I recommend it.
resized sign about the lighthouse 060121
Petite Pointe Au Sable Lighthouse. It’s right near Silver Lake, which is a small lake with a giant dune between it and Lake Michigan. It’s a wild and beautiful place without a bunch of traffic. I wish I could say the same of the dunes not far away. They’ve turned the main street near it into a tourist trap, and every weekend the dune buggies converge to ride it, making it look like a scene out of a Mad Max movie.
resized lighthouse 2 060121
The lighthouse with my back to the water.
resized lighthouse lake mi by silver lake 060121
lighthouse looking out over the water. Dang it looks like it’s leaning in this shot but I think it’s just the angle I took it from
resized lower half of lighthouse 060121
lower half with a better shot of the water, which is crystal clear here!
resized top half lighthouse with sun 060121
resized top half with the sun

I took a video out there and added a soundtrack because the wind and the screams of a little kid chasing gulls was not pleasant.

1. Ingrid says:

This looks like a cool place Lisa, I would love to visit one day 😎

I hope you get a chance to visit one day. I’ll take you on a tour 🙂

2. Ron Rowland says:

I’ve canoed the Au Sable River and was in Grayling about two years ago, but I did not know there was an Au Sable lighthouse on the west coast. Thanks for sharing.

Neat, Ron. I’ve been to and through Grayling a time or two. One of my good friends was raised there. One thing I can tell you is there is no connection between this lighthouse and that river as I just google mapped it. There is a small creek, called Silver Creek, that runs from Silver Lake and may empty into Lake MI, but that’s it. You are welcome on the sharing.

3. Dora says:

Lisa,
    Beautiful. I loved this multi-sensory post and now return to my own world surfeit with the scent of lilacs, the lake breezes, and all that lighthouses signify in our world that seems always to be careening towards the rocks.
    ~🕊Dora

Dora, thank you for the beautiful comment. I like what you saw in this and appreciate your point of view 🙂

Beautiful place! I love the look of lighthouses…I’ve never visited one in person though.

Max, I can’t believe you’ve never visited a lighthouse? I could have walked up in the lighthouse if I wanted to pay money but I didn’t because I didn’t. I remember when I was pregnant for my younger son we walked up the lighthouse at Whitefish Point in the UP. Only time I’ve been inside one. It was a long walk up.

No…as you may guess…we have none here of course. I love the architecture and there is a mystery about them that I can’t put my finger on.

You saw that Lighthouse movie with Dafoe and Pattinson I know. Ever since I saw that there is no way no how I would want to be near one at night.

Yes…I could see how that would discourage a visit

5. Looks like you had a picture-perfect day to visit a beautiful place!

That it was. I was going to stop at the flower mandala that they call a labyrinth that’s very near there also but I ran out of time. That’s what I get for sleeping in.

6. judeitakali says:

Ahh, that lighthouse is a dream. The things I could write there🤩

I’m glad the image inspires you, Jude 🙂