dVerse — Haibun Monday — Solstice 2021

on

The waxing moon.

Earlier in the day, I spent hours at the dentist, having the old, steel-fortified, half-broken crown of tooth five sawed off, having a digital imaging done for a new one, waiting for a reductive printer to create a new one that was then coated and “cooked,” then having it snugly fitted onto the old bone peg. It looks fantastic; my dentist is a magician.

After an afternoon nap, I stayed up late last night, watching, “Old Joy,” an obscure film from The Criterion Collection. It was cooler than it has been in weeks, so I covered myself with an afghan. As usual, there was a hot cup of peppermint-rooibos tea on the table to the left; Dotty, the dotty cat, warming my lap; and Mlady, the cottony queen, alternating between lying to my right on the couch or up on the back of it, always within reach to pet or rest a hand near.

At around four it was time to sleep. Turning off the television, DVD player, speaker, lamp, and aquarium light, I navigated in the dark through the atrium towards the bedroom. Turning to look up at the night as usual, I was surprised to see the bright moon not even halfway across. Even more surprising was seeing Mars, like a spotlight, behind her.

A long solstice day,
favored nightlights fall behind —
light before first dream.

image from Moonpage

Frank J. Tassone is today’s host of dVerse’ Haibun Monday.  Frank says:
Whether you are visiting the beach for the first day of summer, or building the first snowman of Winter, breathe in the Solstice air. Celebrate the day with an original haibun that alludes to the Solstice, whether Summer or Winter.

1. A memorable solstice, upstaged by the moon! You made the most of that short night.

2. Ingrid says:

I’m pleased your trip to the dentist worked out well, and that you were treated to this solstice night show at the end of the longest day 🙂

Thanks much, Ingrid 🙂

3. That was an unexpected way of tackling a solstice poem! I love your last peep at the wandering moon.

Jane, it was my third try after crickets on the first two. Thank you very much 🙂

1. You’re welcome!

4. K.Hartless says:

Oh, the night lights. We have a forever star that shines in our living room, and the children each have their favorite light that makes them feel safe. A wonderful haiku to end this one as it really draws the images together. A day that contains multiple kinds of magic. Enjoyed.

Thanks much, Karen. That star (I’m only guessing it was Mars) was so bright it caught the corner of my eye.

5. We have way too much daylight to see the moon at this time of the year… next moon to see will be in August.

I love being surprised by the moon. And Mars too! (K)

7. Truedessa says:

One has to love surprises of the moon and mars.

🙂 ❤ Yes, one does!

8. M says:

4 might be the real witching hour that magics our sleep with dreams ~

It sure felt like it last night…

9. You made the most of your day and were rewarded at night. Nice!

🙂 Yes, thanks, Ken.

I love clear summer nights….but than summer days.

11. pvcann says:

I love how you take the ordinary of life and reframe it as something far deeper, so evocative of feelings that connect for me (dentists are magicians – usually when charging a magical fee) 🙂

Thank you much, Paul. You’re right, I said a few hocus pocus words when I saw the total 😉