#FF — Discombobulation

PHOTO PROMPT© Ted Strutz

Myra dreamed of being an architect after her sixth-grade field trip. Mr. James showed the class wall-sized murals, blueprints, 3-D models, then walked them through a church he’d designed.

Approaching the end of her first year in college, Myra asked Mr. James if she could be a summer intern. He smiled and agreed. By August they were lovers. Architecture school dimmed to insignificance; she didn’t enroll for more classes.

Five years later, Mr. James abandons her and their toddler son for a new intern, just as he’d abandoned his first wife for her. Myra hates him for discombobulating her life.

[100 words]

Rochelle Wisoff-Fields is the entertaining host of Friday Fictioneers.

1. Dale says:

And so it goes… If he left one for her, she should sadly expect the same to be done to her.

Thanks, Dale. 100% in agreement. I usually write about strong women. I decided to change it up this time.

1. Dale says:

And that’s just proof of your versatility! It’s good to change things up. Some people write the same friggen story over and over. And I won’t name names but some of them are within FF 😉

2. Archon's Den says:

….And the snake said,You knew what I was when you picked me up. 😯 But no-one ever expects it to happen to them. 😦

1. Dale says:

Exactomundo! Why they are ever surprised is beyond me.

Great comment, Archon. I think her first mistake (but who can really blame her) was to get a 6th grade crush on an adult and mistake it for what his career was. (Yes in my mind anyway 😉 )

2. Lisa says:

That’s what all her friends told her would happen, but she just KNEW he really loved her! There’s some truth in “Once a cheater, always a cheater.”

I love your comment, Lisa. I agree. Thanks for reading.

3. neilmacdon says:

If only she’d spotted the pattern

Thanks, Neil. You’re right. Life could be so much more …….. if only…..

4. Poor Myra, discarded like a seized up engine, sad piece

I really hope it’s a wake-up call for her. Thanks for reading and commenting, Shrawl.

Story with a moral! Don’t trust a cheater. Great short story Li.

A good lesson to learn before you do it also! Thank you, Sadje.

6. Michael says:

I hope that she will build a new life, and design a logarithm now how to spot a cheater

I hope so too, Michael, thank you.

7. Oh no. That’s sad. You can never trust a cheater

You’re right, Shweta. The sad part is she’s a cheater also by going along with it 😦

1. Yes, that’s true too

He is a living viscous cycle that will never end….I’ve known them.

You’re right, Max.

9. draliman says:

Mr James is never going to change. Leaving a trail of broken hearts and little kiddies behind him 😦

I hope Myra has made enough poor decisions and starts to get her act together!

10. A conveyor belt of interns. A sorry tale that’s probably not that uncommon.

Good way of putting it, and I agree.

11. So sad how life and love can fall apart like that. Great story!

Thank you, Mason, and you’re so right, life can have it’s rough patches 😦

12. RedCat says:

A well written version of a story to often repeated. Relationships, and how healthy and unhealthy ones work should be part of the school curriculum together with reproduction and sexuality.
    And you get a virtual hug for managing to use “discombobulating”. ❤️

Thank you, Helene. I agree about the school curriculum. Instead they teach reading, writing, arithmetic (which are ok) but then all of that bs culturally conditioning social science and history with convenient omissions, etc. that have nothing to do with living real life accept to make us compliant, docile citizens to be ruled. As to the word, it’s the first one I thought of when I saw that image 🙂

13. GHLearner says:

I hope he at least pays the alimony. Great version of an old and sad tale that will repeat again and again. And I love the word discombobulation.

Guys like that have so many left to “pay on” that each abandoned party probably doesn’t get much. Depending on the laws of the land, in some places the “first” family gets the lion’s share and the rest crumbs. Thank you for your nice comment.

14. pennygadd51 says:

Such casual infidelity must be dreadfully damaging for the abandoned partner. It’s not just the practical difficulties, although they’re bad enough; it’s the constant questioning, ‘What did I do wrong?’, ‘Why did he leave me?’ – that loss of self-worth.

He leaves a trail of carnage behind him 😦 Good comment about a very harmful individual. I hope Myra (and the first wife) process their abandonment to a place where they realize they are worthy of love.

15. notestowomen says:

Poor Myra and all the women he has abandoned. With his record, he’ll be leaving the intern soon enough. One day, he will get his comeuppance.

I agree. This is one you just sit back and watch karma do its work…

16. granonine says:

He who cheats WITH you will cheat ON you. Sad truth.

17. elmowrites says:

Hmm… this is why we should never give up our dreams for a man. Even the best man, but certainly not the worst one.

18. athling2001 says:

Sad that she let things drift away. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for her.

I hope so too, Athling.

19. Lorraine says:

Serial infidelity. Blueprint for disaster. Hope she designs a new life for herself and her son. Turns hate into action. Discombobulating indeed!

Many thanks, Lorraine. I hope so too.

20. Discombobulating indeed! An oft repeated tale but told refreshingly anew. You have a real gift of putting together life’s bitter truths in the most simplistic yet arresting manner!

Neel, I’m blushing with your praise. Thank you, and I’m glad you connected with the story 🙂

21. James McEwan says:

perhaps Mr James should have had a waring tab attached.

Perhaps! Thanks for reading and your comment, James.

22. Aahhh … those snakey professors preying upon youth.
    It happened to me in college. A professor came on to me
    and because I declined he failed me. I reported and complaine
    it was but his word against mine. GGrrrrr ….
    Nicely written,
    Isadora 😎

Isadora so sorry to hear you experienced something similar. Teachers and those in positions of power over others are held to an even higher standard. Sounds like this professor was pure slime. I wonder how many others were preyed upon by him?

1. I used to hate to go to class but didn’t want to lose my credits. Having failed I lost them anyway. Yes … he was a BIG CREEP!!!

23. Dear Lisa,

What a snake in the grass. Someone should discombobulate him up the side of the head. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

Rochelle, I love your comment. Thank you.
      Shalom,
      Lisa

24. I love the way the story unfolds, then he smiles and the ending is in sight. Sadly familiar I think. Well written Jade.

Thank you, Francine, glad you connected with the story.

25. jenne49 says:

He knew! She was ripe for the plucking. And yet youth will not be told. But he knew! I’d like a word or two with Mr James! And the picture so well expresses the fracturing of her life – and her dreams? – at the end.

Thank you for reading and your insightful comment, Jenne. I agree about Mr. James.

26. Laurie Bell says:

Oooooooo
    Ouch
    The circle of life turns on.
    Eeeep

I love your sound effects lol 🙂

27. Nobbinmaug says:

I’ve been there, at least the ignoring college for someone of the opposite sex part.

I love how took the picture and applied it to the 3D model and brought it around to discombobulation in the end. Wonderfully done!

You make me think of “Maggie Mae.”

Discombobulated came to mind when I looked at the pic. Of course human relationships came to mind right after. Thank you.

1. Nobbinmaug says:

There’s another reference I don’t understand. I must be really off this week. My story reminded people of a variety of things, and I didn’t see the connection to any of them. 🤣 Rod Stewart song, right?

Yes Rod Stewart: “It’s late September and I really should be back at school…” Get with the program already!