Movies, Movies, Movies! Special Edition: Jungleland (2019)

movies_banner

I watched this last night and had to get the word out about it ASAP.

Directed by Max Winkler, “Jungleland” is the tale of two brothers who have been counting on each other since they were kids when their mom passed away and their dad didn’t want them. Stanley (Hunnam) is the older brother and Walter (aka Lion) (O’Connell) is the younger brother. Stanley is the trainer, motivator, and pretty much everything else, including hustler, to Lion’s hard-training street-boxer who dreams of opening a dry cleaning business one day. Stanley gets them in a jam with crime boss, Pepper (Majors) that they can get out of only by doing a “transport” of a young woman named Sky (Bardem) out to Reno from the east coast. Not only will that settle the debt, Pepper can get Lion on the ticket for the no-holds-barred boxing contest in California that has a $100,000 purse. That’s all I will say about the plot, and I hope it’s enough to pique your interest.

What meaty roles for the top 3 actors in it!   Each one played their parts just right. The chemistry between these three is something to behold. I’ve seen Charlie Hunnam in a lot of different movies and he never disappoints. I’ve seen Jessica Barden in “The End of the F***ing World” TV series and a few other things and loved her. Looking at imdb just now to see what else I’d seen Jack O’Connell in, I was amazed to see he was in the TV series, “Godless” as the main character and I adored him in that. He looks so different in this one that I didn’t recognize him. If I hadn’t randomly looked for movies with Charlie Hunnam in them, I never would have come across, “Jungleland.” So glad I did! Watch this movie and be amazed at how good it is. The dialogue, the locations, the story, the villain (an *excellent* casting choice btw), and even Ash, the whippet, all work together with a near-perfect alchemy.

1. Not much into boxing, but this sounds like a good drama.

Christian, it’s a boxing movie, but honestly there is very little boxing in it. It’s an excellent movie!

2. Carol anne says:

that does sound like a good movie! Glad you enjoyed it! xo

It’s my new favorite film. I’m ga-ga over it!

3. I’ve been a Jack O’Connell fan since Starred Up. Glad you liked it. 🤓

What’s Starred Up?? Sounds like something I need to check out.

1. Starred Up (2013) is a very good movie that stars Ben Mendelsohn and Jack O’Connell as father and son. It’s one of my favourites of 2013.

Will try to find it 🙂

p.s. Just checked and my library system has it. Will be watching it real soon 🙂

1. Excellent! I look forward to reading your thoughts on it. 🤓

This does sound good. I like boxing movies from The Champion by Chaplin to Rocky…

You and Bailey (and Jen, of course!) are going to need to see this one. This is one for Bailey to study to learn from. I have no idea why it wasn’t promoted…

I will get with him…we only have one in line…The Missouri Breaks …a movie CB recommended with Brando and Nicholson a few days ago…it’s on our list now. I appreciate it. It looks great…and like I said…I like boxing movies. I’ll come back here and tell you about it!