whitney form — winter garden

the garden in winter whitney form 3434347

Last week I went to the Monet Garden in town.  I had heard that they put bubblers in the pond to keep the fish alive and I wanted to see it for myself.  Not true.  No evidence of life in the pond.  I did, however use the opportunity to snap a few pictures.  I saw Kerfe use the Whitney short form yesterday and really liked the look of it.  The poem is in that form (3-4-3-4-3-4-7.)

I hate when people don’t do what they say…. I think though the fish will be ok…they adapt to low oxygen levels. I looked that up not long ago for some reason.

Max, that pond is artificial and so shallow I’m (99%) sure it is frozen solid. I really don’t want to go there in the spring and find their carcasses 😦

If it’s that shallow then yes they should have put something in…especially since the fish are captive there.

2. Brrr, looks pretty cold. Though I do like your picture and the park looks nice – perhaps more enjoyable in warmer temperatures! 🙂

When they first put it together way back when it really looked like a postage stamp sized Monet Garden. It still looks nice but not like it once did. You’re right, it looks way better in warmer temps 🙂

I also have heard that fish can survive below the ice. I like the unity of greyscale photo and poem, and I hope you go back and take more photos in the spring. (K)

I think the ice is frozen solid but will have to wait until spring to see. ::fingers crossed:: I will take some pics just for you in the spring (hopefully with no fish carcasses!)

I look forward to it.

Thanks much, Heather.

1. sgeoil says:

You’re welcome.

4. Dale says:

Lovely poem 🙂
    Did you notice if there were any holes in the ice? I got this from the Internets…

“What do I do with my pond fish in the winter?
    Image result for keeping fish alive in winter
    You can help your koi fish survive winter in a few ways. Pond fish in winter need a hole in the ice, an aerator, not to be fed below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, and a clean pond. Ponds in Maryland over 2 feet deep won’t freeze all the way. When winter comes your fish do like bears and start to kind of hibernate.”

Very good info thank you for sharing. There were no holes in the ice. I’m guessing the pond is 2 feet or more deep but not sure. I had no idea that fish went into a hibernation-like state! Now I’m really curious if they survived or not.

1. Dale says:

I am going to hope there is a hole you just didn’t see… or that they were moved elsewhere. You keep us posted!