Quote of the Day 013023 — Tom Robbins

Tom Robbins calling in well 013023

Another one from Tom Robbins.  Learn more about Tom Robbins from my previous post, here.

I’m not sure whether this quote is from one of Tom’s books or I just read it somewhere else, but I never forgot it — and took the advice more than once (even though I still used the old terminology.)

I’ve been retired since 2018, and I keep trying to talk myself into going back to work for Da Man, but so far I have been unsuccessful.  Bottom line is, would I rather scrape by and be happy or would I rather have a cushion and be miserable?

1. Paula Light says:

I enjoy my current job, but I’ve had horrible ones in the past…

I’m happy to hear it, Paula.

I was always happier freelancing, even though less money and no benefits. But I’ve been lucky–something always turned up when times were frugal. Not everyone has the flexibility to live with uncertainty though. I knew there were people I could ask for help if I really needed it. Many people don’t have that. (K)

I like the way you have approached it and it has worked for you.

Yes, as I noted, I have been very lucky. In so many ways actually.

3. If you find yourself in a job you hate, I can certainly see how liberating that call to the boss must be!

I used to call in sick but it was more of a mental health day. Of course I couldn’t say, “my mental health needs a day off.” I do remember the relief after making the call. Playing work hooky was a guilty pleasure.

4. Marleen says:

I too keep wondering if I will ever go back to work. I will take this concept into practice if I do.

Happy to hear it, Marleen. I don’t think I would have made it 25 years at that place if I hadn’t taken mental health days.

5. Badfinger (Max) says:

Some days I would love to do that!

This is good.