Burt Bacharach Rest in Peace

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2023/02/Burt-Bacharach.jpgBacharach (left) and David (right)

Learned today that Burt Bacharach passed away recently and must say his and Hal David’s musical creations brought me so much joy over the years.  I have created a spotify playlist of many of my favorites.  Hoping you enjoy listening to it and thinking of Burt smiling in heaven with the angels.

For those without spotify:
Baby It’s You
Any Day Now
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Make it Easy on Yourself
Don’t Make Me Over
They Long to be Close to You
Anyone Who Had a Heart
Walk on By
Message to Martha
What’s New Pussycat
This Guy’s In Love with You

Update on 021123:  Adding Greg Miller’s excellent instrumental cover of, “I Say a Little Prayer for You”

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

Great songwriter…I can’t imagine having as many songs as he did to hit. Plus he dated Angie Dickinson…The man had it all. He just knew how to write accessible songs.

Yes he was. I’m adding a song my friend posted this morning on fb in just a second here.

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

I’m not listening to it…I love that kind of playing. I learned Yesterday at one point kinda like this but no not as fancy! This is really cool

Awesome, Max. I’ve been a groupie of his for a long time.

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

He is really good!

And very cool you can play Yesterday like that.

1. Badfinger (Max) says:

Not as fancy! I enjoyed it though.

2. Paula Light says:

The last one is my favorite of his and one of my favorites altogether ❤️

I can see why, Paula ❤

3. Sad indeed. That said, I mainly know Burt Bacharach by name (what a cool name, byw!) and his famous partnership with Hal David.

Looking at your playlist, I immediately recognized some tunes based on just their titles, including “The Man Who Shot Liberty Vallance” (I saw that Western as a kid in Germany!), “(They Long to Be) Close to You” and “What’s New Pussycat”.

Obviously, there are so many more, such as “I Say a Little Prayer”, “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head”, “I’ll Never Fall in Love Again” and “Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do)”.

It’s pretty amazing how many songs this man wrote!

I hope you enjoyed the playlist, Christian. Thanks for adding some more old gold titles all of them wonderful tunes. I just added my favorite jazz guitarist, Greg Miller’s, instrumental cover of “I Say a Little Prayer for You” to the end of the post. Please take a listen if you get a chance 🙂

1. Thanks, Lisa, I happened to be at my computer when I saw your comment pop up, so checked out Greg Miller’s rendition right away and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! In fact, now I’m curious to hear more music by Greg who I’m not familiar with – sounds like he could be a great opener for a Sunday Six! Any tips you may have would be welcome! 🙂

He is a West MI guitarist that has been in multiple rock and rockabilly bands around the area and currently plays jazz guitar. Here is his youtube channel with videos:
          Sorry, Christian I did a google search for more info but you might have to contact him through his youtube channel to get a good biography. He’s been in the groups Little Sister and Dutch Henry and others. Wish I had more info.

1. Cool! And, yep, while there’re many great talented musicians out there, some don’t do a very good job creating visibility for themselves. I don’t even know how you can hope to make it nowadays as a musician without a decent web presence!

4. Oh so sorry to hear.. Yes RIP Bert.. love his songs and your playlist Lisa. 💗

Too many to count. I love Dionne Warwick. They made a great pairing. (K)

6. Aphoristical says:

I like him, but tried to listen to a whole album of his stuff and found it too saccharine all at once. I like him when he pops up one song at a time, like Isaac Hayes doing ‘Walk on By’ or The Carpenters doing ‘Close To You’.

I know what you mean and thought the same thing after I put the playlist together and then listened to it. There is a saccharine sameness to them.