#SoCS — Affirm

stream-of-consciousness-saturday-2018-19

Linda G. Hill says:

Your Friday prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday is “affirm.” Use it any way you’d like. Enjoy!

This post is going to be all over the place. The first thing I thought of was the skit on Saturday Night Live, where Al Franken played a person who kept giving himself positive affirmations in the mirror.  They didn’t seem to be working, as look where Al Franken is today.

I was trying to figure out what the difference is between an affirmation and validation and am not sure if there is a difference?

I was thinking about how important affirmations are to the self esteem of a child, but then in the back of my mind I remember reading how affirming everything a child does can create a child with an “entitled” mindset, where the child thinks they are so far above normal that ordinary rules don’t apply to them.

[Alert: Divergence engaged due to what was said in previous paragraph.] I was over at a friend’s house today and we were talking about the emergency warning text we got on our phones on January 30. Up until then these loud buzzes were only for Amber Alerts for missing persons. This one was from [a red triangle with an exclamation point in the middle of it], where the text says (verbatim):

Due to extreme temps Consumers asks

everyone to lower their heat to 65 or less through Fri”

Consumers is our electricity provider.

She was talking with some others who said they didn’t have to abide by it and nobody was telling them what to do. She was p*ssed about that as she keeps her house thermostat at 60. She also said she heard that Consumers had a way of detecting who complied and who didn’t and who didn’t were going to have heat shut off for a certain number of hours. I do believe Consumers can figure out who turned their heat down, but it seems very difficult to believe they would deny people heat in this weather.

Anyway, sorry to bounce around like a pinball, but that’s the way the marbles are rolling right now.

1. jeremyjames says:

I always think of affirmation as internal and validation as external….

Yes, I think so too, thanks for clarifying it 🙂

2. bikerchick57 says:

My friend was telling me last night how they turned down the heat to 60 degrees in the offices so that a manufacturing section would have better heat for drying paint. She was bundled up and cold all day, so I can’t imagine your friend always keeping her heat at that temp. I would be freezing!

I hope you are warm today and the heat is set at whatever feels good to you.

bikerchick, I believe she does keep it that low as I’ve been there many times and it’s freezing! she keeps a long sweater on. What you said about the business valuing the paint drying over their workers makes me sick! Sorry for going ballistic, but WORKERS ARE #1! They used to keep it pretty chilly where I worked and they prohibited us bringing in any mini heaters for under our desk, but never down to 60 (maybe 65). For people with “insulation” it’s doable but for smaller people with less body mass it is downright cruel.

3. J-Dub says:

At work, I am in the ice box and I have a blanket at my desk. At home, we normally keep our heat at 65 anyway and wear sweats and fuzzy socks around the house. And sleeping at 65 degrees is optimum (so they say) whoever they are 🙂

I hear you about the heat. My heat is wood primary and electric backup. It never gets above 65 in here, but a guilty secret I have is that I turn my thermostat up in just my bedroom to 66 at night. It’s so warm and cozy under the blankets (and sleeping on a heating pad helps).

4. Jami Carder says:

I always catch my teenage boys jacking the heat up to 70, and then see them walking around in shorts and t shirts.

lol that sounds about right…