Thursday Inspiration 31 — Grey Day

Colorful leaves swirling in the stream

It was a miserable December morning in Michigan. The meteorologist predicted 40’s degrees F and sunny last night, but it was 30 degrees and grey skies. Even the clouds were grey, probably with cached snow.

Usually I would put the pillow over my head and go back to sleep in disappointment; not today. Today I determined to take a drive out to the lake and walk along dune trails to the water. Knowing that uplifting music would bring my mood up, I grabbed my Beach Boys CD on the way out of the door.

Sipping fresh hot coffee as I listened to celestial harmonies on the 10-minute ride to the parking lot at the State park, I thought about the trip I took to California back in 2008 and how mesmerizing it was driving from L.A. along highway 101 to Santa Barbara. It was almost surreal how similar, yet how different the ocean highway view was to the one along Lake MI.

I leapt out of the car humming California Dreamin, and like magic, the grey skies parted and the brilliant rays of the sun warmed my face. Leaves danced around and around in columns as I laughed and spun with them.

The End.

Paula Light is the host of Thursday Inspiration.  Paula says:
This week’s theme is leaves and the picture is [above.] Here is the song snippet from “California Dreamin’” recorded by The Mamas & The Papas in 1965:

All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray
I’ve been for a walk on a winter’s day
I’d be safe and warm if I was in L.A.
California dreamin’ on such a winter’s day

1. Paula Light says:

I remember Chicago winter even now… brrrr ❄️❄️❄️

And it comes across the lake to us!

2. I read somewhere today if you want to know more about weather ask the tree they have been there for long.

I just found your comment in my spam folder. That’s a good idea, I’ll ask the trees next time 🙂

3. Tony Bennett said, “Grey skies are going to clear up put on a happy face.”

4. badfinger20 says:

We had a good day here around 70 degrees…. and 60 here now. This is way warmer than normal…I’m sure it’s about to get cold… Hope the music made you warmer.

It always does, thanks 🙂

This is good! Very motivating to get out and explore.

A pleasure Li

6. Music is a great way to block out the weather !

7. iScriblr says:

Music saves!❤️❤️

Music can light up any day! (K)

9. Jay says:

That’s awesome. When we went to California and did the scenic coastal drive between SF and LA, I’d made a great playlist for it – and then left it in the rental car. Wish I still had it.

Now that would be cool, to have a playlist for driving along that coast. It’s is an experience of a lifetime! If I win the lottery, I’m going back.

10. selizabryangmailcom says:

I love the “make your own reality” nature of your piece.
    I’ve been on that drive on the coast up to San Fran (where I was born) and Santa Barbara many times. It’s nice to think that you and Jay and probably other people in the blogs have been there and enjoyed it too. A connection of sorts.