Coloring Club Plus — 11/24/19

Nov 24

Today’s song comes from an album I talked about back in June of this year.  You can find it here.  Today’s track from Lyle Lovett and His Large Band is his cover of Tammy Wynette’s song, “Stand By Your Man.”  I remember the first time I heard it my first thought was “he can’t do that!  This is a female anthem!”  Being the softy that I am though, I gave him a chance.  He does this song right, and having it being sung by a man gives it whole new significance.  What do you think of Lyle’s cover?

Going out to youtube to find the video, imagine my delight when I found Tammy Wynette and Lyle Lovett doing a duet of the song. It doesn’t get much better than this.

Sometimes it’s hard to be a woman
Giving all your love to just one man
You’ll have bad times
And he’ll have good times
Doin’ things that you don’t understand
But if you love him
You’ll forgive him
Even though he’s hard to understand
And if you love him
Oh, be proud of him
‘Cause after all, he’s just a man

Stand by your man
Give him two arms to cling to
And something warm to come to
When nights are cold and lonely

Stand by your man
And show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your man

Stand by your man
And show the world you love him
Keep giving all the love you can
Stand by your man
Songwriters: Billy Sherrill & Tammy Wynette

1. hanspostcard says:

I like the cover- although like you back in the day when it came out I was kind of like- WHAT? I wish Lyle would go back to recording more frequently. The first decade of his career was fantastic…

2. His cover isn’t as good as the Blues Brothers 🙂

Ha ha! Can’t argue with you there. Sorry for the late response. Just found your comment in my spam folder, which “jails” comments without rhyme nor reason.

1. You just reminded me to check mine!

3. This is the new Republican theme, as none of them are willing to go against Trump. I really enjoyed your song today Li.

You are so right, Jim.

4. badfinger20 says:

Like you at first…I thought what is he doing? He did it really well though and made it work. Good pick today…I didn’t see this one coming!

P.S. Do you remember The Blues Brother’s cover in the movie lol?

No I don’t remember it. Maybe time to watch it again.

No it doesn’t.
    Lyle finds new things in every song he does. I’ve seen him with his large band, and also trading songs with just John Haitt and two guitars. Always magic. (K)

6. pvcann says:

I do find it hard to be a woman 🙂 joking aside though, a powerful song.