dVerse — soliloquy — view from the trail

Image result for hound on the winter trail painting

Situation:
In a small group discussion last night, we compared Judas to The Prodigal Son as far as regret, attitude, behavior, motivation; during the discussion a disagreement arose. One camp felt that, even though Jesus knew he was going to be betrayed and said as much to Judas, “Do what you have to do.,” Judas still had the choice to walk away from betraying Jesus for the silver. The other camp felt that the scenario that led to the betrayal and what came after it was pre-ordained, that Judas had his part to play in it; his choice had been removed.

The conversation then moved to the severity of the offenses between what Judas did and what The Prodigal Son did. The consensus was that Judas’ offense was of a much higher level of severity than the son’s. This moved the conversation on to whether or not there are those who choose to consort with evil forces and are beyond redeeming at some point. The belief of most was that anyone can be redeemed, no matter what, but it has to be a conscious turning away from evil on their part and a change of heart that begs for redemption.

My thoughts travel like a hound on the hunt, sniffing for clues to prey.
My pray like prey, seeking out those perfect answers and manifestations.
Humans divine sin in their own way, imperfect transmitters of a perfect God

Or are we? Are we imperfect transmitters?

Perfect snowflakes wander to earth. Are drops of rain any less perfect?
Each arrangement of molecules, properties meant to be by the laws of physics
Does God play between the molecules?

I’m running in circles. My thoughts tire. The trail is gone.
I curl by the fire and watch the snowflakes wander to earth.
There is no self-blame.

Frank Hubeny is today’s host of dVerse.  Frank says:
Write a poem using soliloquy in some way. It may even be a poem you now see could be interpreted as a soliloquy.  For this prompt one may want to add a dramatic context perhaps as a brief paragraph explaining the scene and then let the poem express one character’s perspective on that context…

image link here

1. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the question whether we are “imperfect transmitters” or not of a prefect God. I hadn’t thought of it like that before. I guess that makes this a very good soliloquy. It left me, a reader, with further questioning to continue the soliloquy on my own. I generally do think we have at least enough free will to ask for forgiveness however else we might be tossed about. That may have been Judas’s main mistake – to not seek forgiveness afterwards. But I don’t know.

Thank you, Frank, I appreciate your comments. These kinds of ponderings wear my mind out. I’m more of latching on to small bites like trying to keep hope alive.

2. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

The Book of Judas in the Gnostic texts shed more light on the matter; he played his part. Your preface loomed large over your clever couplets. Your questioning is well balanced by your ending.

Your kind comments are appreciated. I felt totally out of my depth, both in the convo last night and in writing about it today.

3. lillian says:

The biblical discussion….then into the poetic write, the questions and the spinning from all the questions and the play on words prey/pray. Almost a stream of consciousness toward the end. Questions can turn circles within our minds. Sometimes the answers do elude us.

Thanks for reading and commenting, Lillian. Your vacation spot sounds SO nice!

4. rothpoetry says:

I really like what you have done here. Your intro is perfect! Great questions and no answers. Does God play between the molecules

🙂 Thank you, Dwight.

5. It’s one of those eternal questions, isn’t it? I love your water/snowflake imagery, it adds a new beauty to this great debate.

Borges did a great take on the Judas issue.

Thank you for reading and the comments, Sarah. I heard Bjorn mention Borges before. Same person who wrote about a librarian?

1. He wrote about a library, yes.

6. kim881 says:

I enjoyed the meandering of your poem, Jade, and the idea of humans as imperfect transmitters. I especially liked these lines:
    ‘Perfect snowflakes wander to earth. Are drops of rain any less perfect?
    Each arrangement of molecules, properties meant to be by the laws of physics
    Does God play between the molecules?’
    An interesting question.

7. Thought provoking words. The many questions that arise when we want to know, yet do not.

Thank you for reading and your comment, Astrid.

8. Hooray no Hamlet’s shadow in this soliloquy – and a genuine philosophically valid question answered to perfection! We cannot think our way through mystery. Your final line is pure balm.

Re your intro – I am very intrigued that no one mentioned the ideas that the betrayal was an agreement forged between Judas and Jesus and that Judas’ role led to such inner anguish that he committed suicide, thus becoming the unwarranted collateral damage of a too demanding God. Not my original idea, but makes sense historically as the hatching of a revolutionary plot by a Hebrew freedom fighter.

Christine, great comments! Thank you for another perspective on the situation. I’ll bring it to the group next week so they have another flower for the vase to consider.

9. Beverly Crawford says:

The concept of comparison .. snowflake to rain … captured my fancy. There are those who present attractively as a snowflake, but inside they are simply rain. What you see is not necessarily what you get, so to speak. But ……. I soliloquize …………………

Soliloquize away, Beverly!

10. The scriptures call for great questioning, but I think it’s the fact that we pose the questions that’s the most important, not the answers we may find.

11. lynn__ says:

i find your discussion and soliloquy fascinating, Lisa! What amazes me is Jesus shared the cup and bread with Judas…was it an offer for redemption?

Good question, Lynn!

12. Margaret Elizabeth Bednar says:

Fascinating and insightful poem. I have pondered this – years ago – and so far (I may change my mind someday) I imagine God (the holy trinity which includes Jesus) as being outside of time and we humans are inside of “time”. Like a book that has a beginning, middle, and end and at the same time each person in it has free will. God is outside the book and can skip ahead or back to any page while we forge ahead, page by page (pages that have yet to be written as we are in time. ) So… Judas had free choice, but Jesus knew the story (because he is outside of time) and yes, I think Judas did regret it as he hung himself… I like to think just before he died his heart was sorrowful and pleaded forgiveness.

I appreciate your thoughtful response, Margaret.

13. pvcann says:

a cautionary tale of modern politics too is evoked for me, I love the theologising in this.

Thank you, Paul, I’m glad you connected with it.