dVerse — quadrille 97 — Breathe the Stars

Image result for geraniums painting

“Essential oils are like little packages of positivity.”

– Valerie Ann Worwood, from The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, 25th Anniversary Edition (2016)

Build dreampaths that are
Blessed, mindful; balancing
Hills and holes along the way,
A journeyed setting of the stage
For living to bloom.

Essential oils of geranium, grapefruit,
Petitgrain and frankincense, with
Sweet almond.

Fill your nostrils, pores, synapses,
Heart, and soul with stars.

Note: I’ve started to get into essential oils these past couple of weeks after going to a presentation at the library. The 2020 A to Z Challenge is every day in April at Word Press. My plan is to highlight essential oils this year. The oils mentioned in the quadrille are an actual “positivity blend” from Valerie’s book:

Positivity Blend
Geranium oil = 10 drops
Grapefruit oil = 8 drops
Petitgrain oil = 8 drops
Frankincense oil = 4 drops

Mix them all together. Then dilute 15-30 drops of the blend into 1 fluid ounce (30 ml.) of sweet almond oil (which is a “carrier” oil.) Methods to enjoy include using in a diffuser, massage oil, in the bath, or simply breathing in from a kleenex.
De Jackson (aka WhimsyGizmo) is today’s host of dVerse.  De says:
fill your poem-page with exactly 44 words, not counting the title, including some form of the word fill.

image:  “Pink Frosting Geraniums” by Nancy Medina

1. whimsygizmo says:

Just the names of the oils are like poetry on my tongue! Beautiful!

Can you tell I’m falling in love? 🙂 Essential oils are like gems that have been buried for a long time. Value is being found in them again on a large scale.

2. I so love the thoughts of essential oils. I went to a poetry workshop last year with poet Moira Egan, and she has written a lot of poetry on scents … she also gave a great example of a poem by Emily Dickinson…

Ah yes, the screws; the mechanics are not pretty in extracting the oils. I like how she pulls a star into her poem. Essential oils are rich fodder for poets. Like Moira’s inspiration, I can see more on the horizon for me as well.

3. Glenn A. Buttkus says:

Thanks for showering us with olfactory splendor, our one sense besides sight that conjures imagery and wonder.

Glenn, thank you!

4. Were you able to select an oil for every letter?

No 😦 I can’t find a couple for letters: K and Z, but I haven’t looked very much yet.

1. Will any of these work for K
        Kaffir Lime Leaf Essential Oil-Citrus hystrix. …
        Kaffir Lime Rind Essential Oil-Citrus hystrix. …
        Kanuka (Kunzea ericoides) 100% Pure Essential Oil. …
        Karanj Seed Essential Oil-Pongamia pinnata. …
        Katrafay (Cedrelopsis grevei) 100% Pure Essential Oil. …
        Khakibush Essential Oil-Tagetes minuta. …
        How about these for Z
        zanthoxylum acanthopodium fruit oil
        zanthoxylum armatum oil
        zanthoxylum bracchyacanthum leaf oil Australia
        zanthoxylum bungeanum fruit oil
        zanthoxylum nitidum leaf oil Australia

I’m sure they will, Jim. Thank you! You are appreciated by moi.

5. Frank Hubeny says:

I like the thought of filling everything with stars.

6. Beverly Crawford says:

It seems “essential oils” are the rage du jour. Next year it will be something else, but in the meantime, the scents are refreshing!!

Beverly, my daughter in-law said they are running ponzi schemes with essential oils, and my librarian friend said people are borrowing books on them like crazy. We left the talk with a spritzer with tea tree, orange, and lavender in water and it definitely has a therapeutic effect to smell it!

7. I like the picture too, and my what that combo of scents must smell like. Cool.

The book I quoted from has over 800 “recipes” in it. Can’t wait to get going on it.

8. Grace says:

Love all the smells here!

9. rivrvlogr says:

Your making the most of this inspiration!

🙂 I’m glad it shows. Thank you for noticing.

10. Nice!! 🙂 Love what you did with this prompt! 🙂

Na’ama, thank you! My first batch of oils arrived today. It feels like a holiday 🙂

1. 🙂 yay to holidays of all kinds!

A lovely poem Li.

🙂 Thank you!

Always a pleasure.

12. PaperKutzs says:

Beautiful flowers so pink

happy pink 🙂

13. Truedessa says:

Anything filled with stars makes my day shine.

14. kim881 says:

I use essential oils, particularly in oil burners, but have never tried to blend them myself. My daughter worked for Neal’s Yard some years ago, so she let me buy them with her staff discount. I love the idea of building dreampaths and filling everything with stars with the wonderful choice of oils.

That’s awesome, Kim. Haven’t heard of oil burners, is that like a mini oil lamp with a wick? Essential oils at a discount is such a good perk to have a connection to, as I see they aren’t cheap! Thank you for your comment and glad you liked the quadrille.

Ah! I have some of those! Didn’t make the connection.

15. I love this Lisa. I recently started using a chakra blend for the heart from Aveda.

16. Yvonne Osborne says:

Essential oils are an untapped treasure. My sister started making her own soap using them and now it’s all I use. I can’t imagine not! Thanks for the “recipe”.

Great, Yvonne! If you use that recipe, let me know!

17. Vandana Sharma says:

India has been practising the use of a combination of oils for various purpose since ancient times. But newer generation is not bothered much for our ancient practices.

The book I quoted from has some history of the “discovery” and use of the oils and I see it goes way back for India and China and other places. It is very unfortunate those old ways are discarded by the young. I’ve been trying to tell my kids about them and they are flat our rejected any notion they could be beneficial! 😦

18. lillian says:

Well….when you think about it, the idea of scents as comfort have been with us for a long time: baking bread and apple pie; my grandmother’s orange blossom perfume. You’ve got me thinking now that I must try these “essential oils” — perhaps to the library once I get home to Boston and then I shall try them. 🙂 Thanks for the motivating poem….and beautiful words that sound as scent! 🙂

Lillian thank you for thoughts on the olfactory connections for us, yes. Good idea to do some research on them. The book I quote from is a wealth of information if your library has it. There’s a lot to know but the main thing to know is that they are extremely powerful and need to be used with care. Many/most of them must never be ingested or put directly on the skin. So hyped you’re going to check them out 🙂

p.s. about applying directly to skin, I mean full strength. Carrier oils (sweet almond in this recipe) are used to dilute them.

19. A beautiful take on the prompt Lisa and I’m a great fan of essential oils too 💖

So happy to hear it, Xenia.

20. Lona Gynt says:

Joy is essential. You have tapped that here 💕

21. ghostmmnc says:

Very cool to write about essential oils. I sure love how they smell, and there are so many kinds used for all types of situations. Mostly I just had them for use as a perfume. 🙂

There is healing in those aromas! ❤